• 4(current)
Video "Buffering" stutter every few minutes on 10.9
@nmirza
dud you try the commands of my post#37??

until now works for me!
(2013-11-26, 07:19)nmirza Wrote: i also just mention smb:// and nfs:// as shortcuts. i use the full address of my server and mount point. if i type in just smb://192.168.0.8 a window pops up showing me all my mount points. or i can type in smb://192.168.0.8/Disk1 and it mounts that specific point.

unfortunately with nfs I don't have similar luck. it just says server can't connect. My server (a pogoplug with archlinux) actually supports nfs.

NFS:// by itself doesn't work here either in Finder. But ZeroConf in XBMC does work to find all my NFS mounts with point'n'click. The fact you say a window popped up tells me you're referring to Finder with SMB. Nothing pops up in XBMC. The next folder simply appears on the screen.
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
(2013-11-26, 13:04)nmirza Wrote:
(2013-11-26, 11:35)Memphiz Wrote: @nmirza - debug log (wiki)

Hi,
Logs and detailed breakdown of issue is in post #4

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1534841

There is nothing with nfs in it ... my debug log request was in response to your nfs problem. Since this is offtopic - open a new topic with your nfs problem.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Hey nmirza?? Did you solve your stuttering issue?
(2013-11-27, 15:42)Memphiz Wrote:
(2013-11-26, 13:04)nmirza Wrote:
(2013-11-26, 11:35)Memphiz Wrote: @nmirza - debug log (wiki)

Hi,
Logs and detailed breakdown of issue is in post #4

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1534841

There is nothing with nfs in it ... my debug log request was in response to your nfs problem. Since this is offtopic - open a new topic with your nfs problem.

Hi,
sorry i misunderstood. and the thread got sidetracked to nfs. my nfs issue is a side issue which i'm not really concerned with at the moment since samba worked for me until 10.8. Even if i do somehow get ifs to work with xvmc, its still not something id use since i certainly haven't been able to get it u and running in finder. thus my preference for samba.

this thread was about the video buffering/stuttering issue when playing files over my has with samba since 10.9. that is the issue I'm hoping can be analyzed from my logs.

if you find anything about that, do let me know.

(2013-11-30, 11:20)jhonny30 Wrote: Hey nmirza?? Did you solve your stuttering issue?

no problem still not solved. i tried the command you sent previously swell, fount it on zdnet, no luck. tried it again now, still exactly still same issue.
that's no luck...
worked perfectly for me though...
any luck identifying the nas streaming issue? i tried xbmc on my macbook pro as well, and another mac mini with 10.9, and exactly the same issue. so its not just my main htpc setup.

i'd really really appreciate some help on this.

like i said in my post with the debug logs, vlc streams everything fine without any problems on all my computers, so whatever changes 10.9 made must be fixable if vlc didn't even get effected by the update.
Yeah its the app nap stuff. But unfortunatly the thing i thought would turn of app nap for XBMC doesn't work (based on tests done by users here in this thread).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
yep tried that solution with no luck. i know im over simplifying here, but since vlc works fine, wouldn't it be "simple" to see how vlc plays files, vs how xbmc does it? I think vlc also uses ffmpeg, as does xbmc, so there must be some fundamental difference like a certain command instruction, or something on the os level which is treating vlc differently than xbmc.

And i apologize for using the term simple. I'm not a programmer so none of this is simple for me. I don't mean to imply its easy, just that in my head it seems like a solution exists to identify the culprit, especially since both programs use ffmpeg.
VLC is a complete different program. The way how XBMC handles network access (using our virtual file system abstraction) is a whole different story. I really understand why users tend to think it must be something obvious when other programs work well, but only XBMC doesn't. But i can't explain it in laymans terms why this is not the case. XBMC is a complex construct - you can't predict its behaviour so good in some cases. I mean the fact that this issue only occurs on osx 10.9 and no other platforms (ios/atv2/rbpi/android/windows/linux) also can be taken on the plus side - we are trying to fix apple issues here - and yes its often XBMC which is influenced by those - but not vlc or others. But thats something we just take as it is. Call it "stupid XBMC design is prone to changes in osx". Call it bad design. Call it spaghetti. It doesn't change anything and only murphy knows why its always hitting us not them ...
I don't see these stuttering problems in Eden (which still works fine in 10.9 as far as I can tell). Did something change between Eden and Frodo and/or Gotham or are people having trouble with Eden stuttering too? Frankly, there's nothing wrong with using Eden, IMO. I still use it on my Gen1 AppleTV units since I don't want to boot USB sticks or wipe my Apple interface. It just seems the problem must have occurred in Frodo somewhere since it's broke in 10.9 and Eden isn't (beyond the stutter; it won't even start). Really, the only things that broke for me between Mountain Lion and Mavericks were full screen modes for most software (save a few). I still think improved multiple monitor support was worth it, though.
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
(2013-12-11, 01:12)VonMagnum Wrote: I don't see these stuttering problems in Eden (which still works fine in 10.9 as far as I can tell). Did something change between Eden and Frodo and/or Gotham or are people having trouble with Eden stuttering too? Frankly, there's nothing wrong with using Eden, IMO. I still use it on my Gen1 AppleTV units since I don't want to boot USB sticks or wipe my Apple interface. It just seems the problem must have occurred in Frodo somewhere since it's broke in 10.9 and Eden isn't (beyond the stutter; it won't even start). Really, the only things that broke for me between Mountain Lion and Mavericks were full screen modes for most software (save a few). I still think improved multiple monitor support was worth it, though.

i'm not up to date on my codenames, but is eden v11? because if you're saying it works, then maybe i'll give that a shot. I know for sure that 12 and 13(gotham) are definitely causing these problems. thanks for the headsup.

If i'd known 10.9 was problematic I wouldn't have even updated, since this is mainly an htpc i don't care what i'm on. I just didn't see any warnings on xbmc homepage so i jumped in. bad decision.
(2013-12-09, 21:40)Memphiz Wrote: VLC is a complete different program. The way how XBMC handles network access (using our virtual file system abstraction) is a whole different story. I really understand why users tend to think it must be something obvious when other programs work well, but only XBMC doesn't. But i can't explain it in laymans terms why this is not the case. XBMC is a complex construct - you can't predict its behaviour so good in some cases. I mean the fact that this issue only occurs on osx 10.9 and no other platforms (ios/atv2/rbpi/android/windows/linux) also can be taken on the plus side - we are trying to fix apple issues here - and yes its often XBMC which is influenced by those - but not vlc or others. But thats something we just take as it is. Call it "stupid XBMC design is prone to changes in osx". Call it bad design. Call it spaghetti. It doesn't change anything and only murphy knows why its always hitting us not them ...

I think we both know its not bad design, its just a very complex program, wit good reason. If a new osx version introduces 1000 changes, vlc might face 2-3 issues because really, all it does is play video. on the other hand i imagine xbmc could face dozens of issues, because its doing a dozen more tasks. so its understandable that xbmc is affected much more.

My tech understanding is limited so i have no idea why xbmc uses a virtual file system abstraction, whatever that is. I always thought network access is baked into osx so all xbmc does is call upon certain protocols within osx, like telling it "stream this file from this location via smb to this display", instead of telling it exactly HOW to do that. obviously reality is far different than my understanding.

i'll let the experts handle it. just wanted to ensure that the issue was highlighted. hoping for a fix soon.
There was a lot changing between eden and frodo ... one important thing - we switched from OSX SDK 10.4 to OSX SDK 10.6.

And yep - our vfs works totally different. It ensures that most (nearly all) network protocols are available on all our supported platforms (hence it doesn't call os dependend stuff there - only windows uses a native implementation for samba access - but thats it - everything else is abstracted by using open source libs. And btw there is no such OS API like "stream this file from this location via smb to this display" <- i mean serious? :p - we wouldn't have anything to do if such a OS method would exist ...).
(2013-12-11, 15:02)Memphiz Wrote: There was a lot changing between eden and frodo ... one important thing - we switched from OSX SDK 10.4 to OSX SDK 10.6.

And yep - our vfs works totally different. It ensures that most (nearly all) network protocols are available on all our supported platforms (hence it doesn't call os dependend stuff there - only windows uses a native implementation for samba access - but thats it - everything else is abstracted by using open source libs. And btw there is no such OS API like "stream this file from this location via smb to this display" <- i mean serious? :p - we wouldn't have anything to do if such a OS method would exist ...).

hahah like i said, i'm no programmer or IT guru Smile i just understand things in layman terms. maybe its more like "if file mkv => then call ffmpeg => enable audio - then load". haha or something along those lines.

anyway i was just oversimplying things. if all this was easy, we'd all be doing it, and not just the experts.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video "Buffering" stutter every few minutes on 10.91