Solved "Cannot access PPA" when attempting to upgrade 11>12
I've just switched over to Linux and am trying to get XBMC working properly. I've been getting a video stutter, and have tried changing all the sound settings on other threads I've read (to analog, etc.).

I was told on my [url=http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=156613&action=newpost
]post from a couple of days ago[/url] that the version I was running - 11 - isn't supported. But that's the version that automatically comes up when you search for XBMC in the built-in apps finder GUI!

Anyways, so I tried to follow the instructions here to upgrade to version 12. Step 1 worked, but hit a wall with step 2 (sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:current_XBMC_providing_ppa). When I type that in terminal, I get the following error:

Cannot access PPA (https://launchpad.net/api/1.0/~current_X...rchive/ppa) to get PPA information, please check your internet connection.

My internet's working just fine, though. Oddly enough, when I feed the url in the error message into my browser, I get nothing - a "page not found" page from launchpad. I tried digging around and finding a direct download, and whenever I tried to load them continued to receive errors. Any advice?
Have you tried instructions in the wiki ?
get us the output of:
Code:
lsb_release -a
apt-cache policy xbmc
After re-reading your post, here there is my answer :

Instructions on the wiki page you linked to tell this :

Code:
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:current_XBMC_providing_ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:the_ppa_you_wish_to_use
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get remove xbmc xbmc.bin
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc.bin

You can't copy paste two of these commands. You should replace current_XBMC_providing_ppa and the_ppa_you_wish_to_use by the real ppa names.

It seems you installed xbmc v11 from official ubuntu repositories so for you upgrade instructions will be :

Code:
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get remove xbmc xbmc.bin
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc.bin

This should work and allows you to run xbmc v12 !
That worked! You guys rock! Thanks for helping a newbie to Linux start to make sense of everything!
Got it working! Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Cannot access PPA" when attempting to upgrade 11>120