WIP Testers wanted for improved subtitle selection feature
How should be external subs named to prefer them over internal ones with default or/and forced flag?
Can't you prefer external subs regardless of their name by default? I believe that's how it always worked in xbmc.
(2013-10-25, 09:12)ezechiel1917 Wrote: How should be external subs named to prefer them over internal ones with default or/and forced flag?
Same language, default flag, e.g. walking.eng.default.srt.

(2013-10-25, 09:12)ezechiel1917 Wrote: Can't you prefer external subs regardless of their name by default?
Would be possible, but doesn't make sense to me.

(2013-10-25, 09:12)ezechiel1917 Wrote: I believe that's how it always worked in xbmc.

That would really surprise me.
Prior to this patch external subs were always preferred regardless of internal subs flags. You only needed to have external subtitles named with prefix of the video filename (video*.srt for video.mkv) That's how it always worked, except some small timeframes where it was broken.

I thought, that this shouldn't touch external subtitles behaviour.
Most people have external subtitles because they don't care about internal subtitles.
So now they have to rename all external subtitles they have to have them preferred over internal ones? That does sound little bit complicated.
If this should go in, there should be setting available to have external subs always preferred when they are detected at the beginning of the playback.
Yeah, the external ones really ought to be preferred over the internal ones even when the external one has no flags. All other media players I use behave that way; VLC and MPC-HC for example always prefer external ones over internal ones regardless of the flags of the internal subtitles.
I compiled merged PR 3396 e 3496 codes, but nothing appears external ou internal subtitle using same movie in ISO BD, 007 Skyfall.
MediaBrazil forum Website - Youtube Channel
MQ9-1.6.0.29 - 09.15.2023 - Aeon MQ Skin Team
MarcosQui Website Donate and support us.
Can we have an option in settings that would read "always ask"?

It should then present a list of audio and subtitle tracks to choose from when you select a movie.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(2013-10-25, 15:52)Wanilton Wrote: I compiled merged PR 3396 e 3496 codes, but nothing appears external ou internal subtitle using same movie in ISO BD, 007 Skyfall.

As I said, ext. subs don't work with blurays currently. If I find some time l will try to find a solution, but don't push me.
Ok ace20022, don´t my intention push you, only think is fine report if it´s ok or not.
MediaBrazil forum Website - Youtube Channel
MQ9-1.6.0.29 - 09.15.2023 - Aeon MQ Skin Team
MarcosQui Website Donate and support us.
I have added a switch labelled "Prefer external subtitles" to the settings. It's turned on by default. The new build can be found in the OP.
Thx, tested so far:
Code:
preferred audio language: original stream's language
preferred subtitles language: original stream's language
prefer external subtitles: no

mkvfile with two embedded audio tracks (czech with default flag set to yes + english with default+forced flags set to no) and two embedded subtitle tracks with various subtitle settings
From the results below you can see that subtitles with forced flag are wrongly filtered out

Code:
mkvfile -czesub- default no forced no -engsub- default no forced no --> No Subs Displayed - OK
mkvfile -czesub- default no forced no -engsub- default no forced yes --> No Subs Displayed - Should be English
mkvfile -czesub- default no forced no -engsub- default yes forced no --> English Subs Displayed - OK
mkvfile -czesub- default no forced no -engsub- default yes forced yes --> No Subs Displayed - Should be English
mkvfile -czesub- default no forced yes -engsub- default no forced no --> Czech Subs Displayed - OK
mkvfile -czesub- default no forced yes -engsub- default yes forced no --> English Subs Displayed - Should be Czech
mkvfile -czesub- default yes forced no -engsub- default no forced no --> Czech Subs Displayed - OK
mkvfile -czesub- default yes forced no -engsub- default no forced yes --> Czech Subs Displayed - Should be English
mkvfile -czesub- default yes forced yes -engsub- default no forced no -> No Subs Displayed - Should be Czech
Hope me piping in here isn't off topic and not what's being discussed but seems relevant.

Personally, I remux desired audio streams / subtitles that are relevant to my language, like most others I expect. Often films have the odd forced subtitle within a full subtitle track, for non english parts that would be forced if watching a bluray for example.

I find that XBMC doesn't seem to be able to even detect the difference between a "forced" flag and a "default" and a "not default and not forced" flag set in the MKV container.

This is surely more important than any of the discussion taking place here and what really needs "fixing".

For example, currently have to actually wait for a forced subtitle to not appear when it should to think "ahhh better go into the menu and manually turn on subtitles and set the forced one on".

The only other option is to have subtitles set to on by default, which obviously is completely impractical since when watching "Live TV" or the majority of films that don't have or need a forced subtitle have to manually turn them off.

Does XBMC currently not even parse these flags?
(2013-10-30, 11:53)robo989 Wrote: Does XBMC currently not even parse these flags?
No.
First, thanks for the detailed tests!

As basis: http://matroska.org/technical/specs/index.html

(2013-10-29, 22:38)ezechiel1917 Wrote: Thx, tested so far:
Code:
preferred audio language: original stream's language
preferred subtitles language: original stream's language
prefer external subtitles: no

mkvfile with two embedded audio tracks (czech with default flag set to yes + english with default+forced flags set to no) and two embedded subtitle tracks with various subtitle settings
From the results below you can see that subtitles with forced flag are wrongly filtered out

The selected audio track is the czech one, right?

(2013-10-29, 22:38)ezechiel1917 Wrote:
Code:
mkvfile -czesub- default no forced no -engsub- default no forced yes --> No Subs Displayed - Should be English
We discussed at github that forced subs only make sense if they match the current audio track's language.
For example, the only language that would help me would be English.
But to meet the specification we could change that.

Code:
mkvfile -czesub- default no forced no -engsub- default yes forced yes --> No Subs Displayed - Should be English
mkvfile -czesub- default yes forced yes -engsub- default no forced no -> No Subs Displayed - Should be Czech
Accepted.

Code:
mkvfile -czesub- default no forced yes -engsub- default yes forced no --> English Subs Displayed - Should be Czech
mkvfile -czesub- default yes forced no -engsub- default no forced yes --> Czech Subs Displayed - Should be English
If I read the specification right, you're right Wink
Yes, czech audio track was played.

I noticed github discussion about forced flag. It makes sense to display forced flags only if they exist for selected audio track language. Question is, is it ok to automatically "correct" this over mkv specification as default behaviour?
I actually think that it makes more sense if you set preferred language (or change audio track manually).
Then default setting (original's stream language) could follow matroska specifications completely.
Some reading about flags:
https://trac.bunkus.org/wiki/FAQ%3ADefau...YesNoInMMG
I've update the build in the op. The original case should work now. Additionally I've added switching forced sub when switching audio track. Could you please re-ckeck with your test cases?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Testers wanted for improved subtitle selection feature0