Next step up from Pi / ATV?
Hey there,
I'm looking for a small frontend system to go with my backend server. The backend system will look after all downloads, storage, shared library, content scraping, TVHeadend+DVBs, so the frontend needs to be relatively lightweight but still be able to handle HD.

I've currently got a Raspberry Pi, which is OK, still has some bugs on TVHeadend playback, I'd like to play with some different skins and this is when it becomes a little too sluggish. I've also got a ATV2 with XBMC, which is better, but really want something to boot straight into XBMC and avoid the ATV interface. Also optical out doesnt seem to work on this config - which would be nice to have.

So, what is the next step on the ladder? Is there any other ARM based solutions that are a step above the Pi/ATV or am I into the Intel based solutions like the Zotac?

Ideally I'll want 4-5 of these front ends, so would like to get some cost effective.

Thanks,
Tom
Sounds like an Android box is the next step. Probably replacing the Android OS with Linux though. Like the Pivos Xios, The Little Black Box, or G-Box Midnight MX2. Since you're wanting 4-5 of these devices, this seems like your most affordable solution.

Also, you have a dedicated server, and a lot of end devices, are you sure Plex wouldn't be more suited for this task? I'll probably get a lot of hate for suggesting it, but it is a more server based solution.
(2013-10-25, 11:22)thos Wrote: I've also got a ATV2 with XBMC, which is better, but really want something to boot straight into XBMC and avoid the ATV interface. Also optical out doesnt seem to work on this config - which would be nice to have.

You can make it boot straight to xbmc. The optical out works perfect on both of mine, sure you have it set right?
I like the ATV1's with Broadcom Crystal HD card installed running Crystalbuntu.
I feel it is a step above the Pi's I have but don't have an ATV 2 to compare it to.

They are stable, boot into XBMC direct and handle anything I can throw at it as far as video quality.
יונתן בן-חיים
Thanks for the repies.

I'm not interested in Apple TV long term, I dont think the situation with jailbreaking is reliable.

I'll take a look at the Pivos Xios, The Little Black Box, and G-Box Midnight MX2.

Apart from that is the next step up to the likes of a Zotac, or is there anything else in between?
you tried running amber skin on your pi, hows you pi setup?
(2013-10-29, 21:36)thos Wrote: Thanks for the repies.

I'm not interested in Apple TV long term, I dont think the situation with jailbreaking is reliable.

I'll take a look at the Pivos Xios, The Little Black Box, and G-Box Midnight MX2.

Apart from that is the next step up to the likes of a Zotac, or is there anything else in between?

Or a NUC
(2013-10-29, 21:36)thos Wrote: Thanks for the repies.

Just an FYI, but the ATV1 doesn't use a jailbreak. The ATV1 is a very different machine from the ATV2. ATV2 is iOS based and needs jailbreak, while ATV1 is pretty much a very low power computer that runs a desktop-class operating system (but you would only want to run a linux-based OS on it).

That being said, it's hard to find them for a good price and in good condition these days. If you can snag one for about $50, then it's a great deal.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Next step up from Pi / ATV?0