Old pc become a XBMC, how?
Sad 
Hey guys, I have an old pc of 2006 and I intend to turn it into a htpc, using xbmc.
I wanna know if the motherboard is ok for it, I will buy a new graphic card gt210 or other...
So please tell me if I can run all movies in 1080p, like mkv, and if will be fast... smooth.

So is the motherboard ok? And the graphic card gt210? If you have another idea, suggestion, please let me know.

Quote:Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 39 °C
Windsor 90nm Technology
RAM
2.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 334MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
NF-MCP61 (Socket M2 ) 40 °C
Graphics
LM1710 (DVI) (1280x1024@60Hz)
512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Undefined) 55 °C
Hard Drives
149GB MAXTOR S TM3160211AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 32 °C
Optical Drives
DVDRW PATA 20X20X12X ATA Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device
Looking at the specs I'd say it might already run 1080p Tongue Pretty sure 9400GT is enough for vdpau.

I'd download openelec and put it on a usb and try it out, perhaps its already ok Smile
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Hey bud, I will install windows 7 starter just. I have no other utility for this computer.
I'm waiting for more one opinion!! Cheers!!
Lot easier if you follow topfs2's recommendation of installing OpenELEC on a thumbdrive and then using it to boot your old PC with it to see if XBMC will run on it. No need to even wipe out the hard drive on the PC to perform this test. Smile
Xbmc on ubuntu or openelec will work fine. Don't know about windows, wouldn't use it for a media pc myself (windows that is) .
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-10-28, 01:11)nickr Wrote: Xbmc on ubuntu or openelec will work fine. Don't know about windows, wouldn't use it for a media pc myself (windows that is) .

Do you know the motherboard I talked about? Suggestion of Graphic Cardtoo?

(2013-10-28, 00:41)artrafael Wrote: Lot easier if you follow topfs2's recommendation of installing OpenELEC on a thumbdrive and then using it to boot your old PC with it to see if XBMC will run on it. No need to even wipe out the hard drive on the PC to perform this test. Smile

I read that the processor works well. The ram is enough. I'm in doubt about the MOBO and which graphic card should I use Sad
The computer AS IS will be fine. I don't specifically know the motherboard, but I can read the specs. The video card should be fine.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Does that graphics card do HDMI? That could be a desired trait but if not, yeah, this seems fine.
In all seriousness, by now, you could have downloaded OpenELEC, installed it on a thumbdrive, booted your PC with it, taken XBMC through it paces on it, and have come up with a preliminary assessment about whether or not the existing hardware is capable enough or not.
DVI to HDMI adapter is probably all you need on your graphics card. I have the mobile version of it in my laptop and it does just fine.
(2013-10-28, 04:00)artrafael Wrote: In all seriousness, by now, you could have downloaded OpenELEC, installed it on a thumbdrive, booted your PC with it, taken XBMC through it paces on it, and have come up with a preliminary assessment about whether or not the existing hardware is capable enough or not.

The only problem I face here it's the graphic card, the rest, I believe, its ok!
DVI to HDMI - Choice is yours based on if you already have an HDMI cable to use and what brand you want. Also what sound output you have available vs what you want.

Or do this -
Video Card

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Old pc become a XBMC, how?2