High(ish)-end build, need help
I've read some (in fact a LOT) of threads here, and here are a few thoughts and my needs:

I am *tired* of companies like Popcorn Hour and Dune HD releasing the latest and greatest media centers and then crippling them some time later in favor of their newer latest and greatest. Besides, the CPUs in those things are pitiful (although specialized) underachievers. That's why I've decided to go the XBMC way, not entirely sure it's a wise move but things like depending on external software for cataloging my media and awful fast forward and nonfunctional rewind in my Dune HD player (which is quite expensive where I live) have made me decide to make the move.

Now here's what I'm thinking: I don't want to need to upgrade for at least 3 years or so. Not interested in 4k, but my TV is 3D capable, as is my Denon receiver, which can also play TrueHD DTS or whatever - it's a 2112 CI if that matters. I really don't want any playback issues like stuttering or inability to play any of the formats supported by my other equipment, like 3D SBS and the aforementioned HD audio.

I would LOVE to be able to control my new HTPC using my Harmony 880, but I'm not so confident whether that's possible with my current hardware choice (haswell i3), which is too bad. It's a little disappointing that most manufacturers don't seem to realize the potential for HTPCs but anyway, here's what I'm thinking:

- Intel i3 4330 3.5 GHz (4th gen haswell)
- Asrock H87m-ITX (no longer has support for CIR)
- 60 GB SSD (just for OS and system stuff)
- 4GB 1333 RAM
- 2TB + 3TB storage for media

I'm initially thinking about giving UbuntuXBMC a go since I'm quite familiar with Ubuntu and not at all fond of Windows. I like the idea of an appliance feel, but would like to do a bit more with my build, like downloading torrents, maybe some web surfing.

Youtube access would be awesome, Netflix too, although I already have access to those things using my smart TV - it's a little slow though. Accessing everything from a single source would be neat.

From what I've read around these forums, seems I don't need a dedicated video card since I probably won't be using my HTPC for gaming, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also it seems the latest generation (socket 1150) of the Asrock motherboards, although stripped of CIR, still respond to USB keyboards and remotes, at least according to their user manual. Anyone has experience with this?

Any opinions and info will be extremely welcome! Thanks Smile
That build should be fine. Only reason to get a faster processor would be transcoding. You can easily get YouTube access. Netflix requires some work in Linux but it is apparently doable. Correct that you don't need a video card if you aren't gaming.

Not sure I understand about the cir? A USB keyboard will certainly work, just plug it in. And people have reported getting their harmony remotes working, it just requires an ir receiver and some patience (currently working on mine).
Whatever you buy, compare it to the price of a D34010WYK NUC + 4Gb SODIMM DDR3L RAM + 60/64Gb mSATA SSD first. This has CIR support.
Put the movies on an USB3.0 WD MyPassport 2Tb Hard disk (it needs no extra power supply and is small and light).
Why use a USB drive? Well... you have friends don't you, and when you need a bigger disk, maybe they will buy your 2Tb disk. Modern TVs will also play direct from the disk (but without the nice xbmc interface), so you will be able to transport your movies around easily.
Down the track you could put your movies on a NAS (Network Attached Storage).
Thanks for the repliles guys, just pulled the trigger on the following configuration:

- Intel i3 4340 3.6 GHz (4th gen haswell)
- Asrock H87M
- Kingston 60 GB SSD
- 4GB 1333 RAM

Turns out Asrock didn't pull CIR from their uATX boards, only the Mini-ITX ones so the 87M still has the infrared header. I'm seriously thinking about building the sensor myself (the DIY instructions seem very, very simple), but in the meantime I do own a wireless keyboard/mouse combo that will probably do just fine.

Joel, unfortunately the Intel NUC is crazy expensive where I live (Brazil), I'll have to go with a (cheaper) all-in-one box instead of media center + NAS.

Very stoked about putting together my first XBMC build Big Grin
congrats! enjoy it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
High(ish)-end build, need help0