• 260(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
How about reading the Release Notes?
https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26159/e...eNotes.pdf
| myHTPC |
Thanks. It ended up working for me. Seems to be a lot smoother and my on/off with harmony remote issues seem to have been resolved.
So anyone reading this. Make sure you update to newest BIOS.

Cheers
any compatible MC Remote will do...

no tweaking need while using Openelec... Smile
BIOS upgraded and now my NUC starts up every 24 h ... fsck.

I upgraded my Bios of my D34010WYK from ~ 027 (old) to latest (security fixed) 046. This NUC was home for various OE and now LE installs (Im still at LE7 btw). Now the NUC boots itself up every 24 h (at ~1pm). That was also the time when I did the Bios upgrade a few days ago. I checked the BIOS settings in case there are some odd things configured. But not as far as I can tell, this timer feature is off and even WOL was off. I now switched WOL on and off again just to have the BIOS settings rewritten. nuvoton fix is in autostart.sh. That worked for years with various MCE remotes. Well, I messed up I think.

I did find some background that pointed to Windows and WoL. But this NUC never hat a Windows on it and when WoL is BIOS disbaled it won't boot with a magic packet sent.

Any idea what this could be and how to fix this? BIOS downgrade is not possible afaik.
--
multiple Kodi clients + vdr backend + mysql db
Reset BIOS/UEFI settings.
Ok, thx, will give it a try.
--
Well, that did not work. Reset the settings at 11 am. Compared vs. old. Looked good and ok ish. Just changed back to _not_ to WoL. At 1pm NUC boots by itself - again. Urgh! Any other hints? Maybe something with autostart.sh or NIC settings or something wthin LE itsellf? I'm not very familiar with ethtool and don't know what to look at. Thx! Tomorrow I will disconnect the LAN cable ...

edit: pheww, LAN cable disconnected. NUC starts at 12:45 - again. So no magic packets for somewhere within my LAN. Besides, I found something with regard to BIOS CMOS wipe and also that a downgrade is not recommended. So a downgrade is possible but ... at least I got the CMMS procedure. What a mess.

edit2: CMOS wipe is the same as "F9 to restore BIOS factory default values" what I did - umpf - downgrade it is.
--
NUC is back on BIOS 027 and for me the best thing is: No more wapeups at 12:45 (11:45 UTC).

The downgrade process involved a few *shock* moments when error messages showed up - like 'fwUpdate FullBuffer' or something. A plain downgrade or recovery was not possible for me - afaik. I than used the HW based `yellow jumper` process with 027 as the only .bio file on an attached USB stick. The recovery process is well documented on intels support site.

edit: fsck - LOL - well, now it wakes at 13:45. I think that was around the time I did the recovery. awesome. I'm nearly out of options ...
--
Under the Power tab in the BIOS be sure to uncheck "Wake system from S5" which "Enable or disable system wake on alarm event. When enabled, system will wake on the day/hour/minute/second specified."

Otherwise why not cut power from your NUC while not using it? I have been doing it on my D34010WYK ever since I got it a few years ago without noticing any adverse effect.
thx ulibuck. I did that S5 stuff. Though I still want to use the remote to power on/off. Andnit worked for years. Meanwhile I got it sorted - mostly by accident I think. This is what I did:

1. I disconnected the PSU for ~ 3h

2. Is set and unset the timer function the BIOS offers. I activated the function and let it start the NUC for exactly one time. After that I disabled it again.

3. I checked with ethtool the NIC settings. eth0 WOL flag was set to 'g'. This did not change after a reboot. So I added a 'ethtool -s eth0 wol d' into a startup shellscript - made me feel better :\

Well I'm now without recurring daily power-on situations.

btw, 046 bios is not available any more. the mitigations did not mitigate ...
--
(2018-01-20, 00:11)lazyman Wrote: btw, 046 bios is not available any more. the mitigations did not mitigate ...

Might be related to this:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/18/16904...er-reboots
  • 260(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7