• 133(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
I put win 8 on my NUC, and I have been struggeling with constant BSOD's. When posting on beepingcomputer to get some help, i noticed that speccy reports a motherboard temp at 123 degrees celsius?
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/yJhP7...Lz2mtgpS6g

This can't be right can it?
how it the temp in bios?
| myHTPC |
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have several questions.

1. How is the 24p 'performance' of these NUC's? I read there have been problems with real 24p and Intel; have they been resolved?

2. Does the hdmi audio output work as well as for let's say nvidia? Is there support for proper multi-channel LPCM, DTS-HD/MA, TrueHD? And in combination with 24p? I'm referring to:

Quote: If "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" is enabled in the System -> Video Settings, HD-Sound doesn´t work any more.

3. What would one need in terms of CPU to properly play a relatively high bitrate Hi10P version of a film? Would an i3 suffice? And what about a nice heavy Aeon skin? A normal desktop i3 shouldn't have any problem with either, but I have no idea how the mobile versions compare to the fully powered counterparts.

All this on Linux, btw.
(2014-02-01, 08:47)fritsch Wrote: There is plain no VC-1 interlaced support in the intel vaapi driver. The driver "detects" VC-1 interlaced and then does call it's crash function :-). Not joking.
We will ship a possibility for OpenELEC to deactivate VC-1 acceleration easily via the gui and disable VC1 by default. The CPU is powerful enough to do it until intel implements it.

My understanding is that even progressive VC1 has problems like visible artifacting. Considering that VC1 is a Microsoft codec you would think that good buddy Intel would have better driver support.
(2014-02-01, 08:44)voip-ninja Wrote:
(2014-02-01, 00:44)frarev Wrote:
(2014-01-30, 19:40)voip-ninja Wrote: Which build? Are you using hardware acceleration? How about VC1 video?

- Builld : I'm using OpenElec 3.2.4 official stable x86_64
- Hardware acceleration (VAAPI) is ON and seems to work because CPU is only 2 or 3 % while watching video.
- I don't have any VC1 file but i've justed a file named wildwife.wmv that I found in my Windows 7 and I can successfully play it.
Codec : Windows Media Video VC1 (WVC1)
Resolution : 1280x720
29,97 fps - Planar 4:2:0 YUV

Thanks. Some are reporting that Intel still has a bug with VC1 video.
According MediaInfo, the test file is a progressive file. So, i didn't test interlaced.

If you can give me a link for a VC1 interlaced VC1 file, I will test....
Looks like Ars got to the bottom of the issue with Debian based distro not booting properly on a NUC after install -> http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/02/l...amos-beta/
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
(2014-02-01, 08:29)Selene Wrote:
(2014-01-31, 21:49)djbase666 Wrote: Is 3D running properly on a i5 nuc with latest openelec nightly built ?

tnx

SBS/OU yes.. frame packed.. no.

Cool tnx !

What is packed ? two times the frames (48p instead of 24p) ? or two times the resolution 3840 *1080 ?

Greetz,

Djbase
Surely frame packed should work on the i5!? Even in software mode! It's an i5 FFS!
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-02-02, 00:02)jammyb Wrote: Surely frame packed should work on the i5!? Even in software mode! It's an i5 FFS!

An I5 ULV Sad
(2014-02-01, 23:02)djbase666 Wrote:
(2014-02-01, 08:29)Selene Wrote:
(2014-01-31, 21:49)djbase666 Wrote: Is 3D running properly on a i5 nuc with latest openelec nightly built ?

tnx

SBS/OU yes.. frame packed.. no.

Cool tnx !

What is packed ? two times the frames (48p instead of 24p) ? or two times the resolution 3840 *1080 ?

Greetz,

Djbase

2205x1080 http://www.best-3dtvs.com/what-is-frame-packing-3d/
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-14, 17:48)arokh Wrote: @peio72

Try latest Gotham nightly. Lots of mentions about HD audio in this thread.

@sentimex

Sounds like HDMI handshake issue, can be worked around by using a dr hdmi adapter or extracting the EDID then tell drivers to use that (not sure if that's possible on windows).

Using openelec stable version all worked well including remote setup fully working (Harmony remote as Media center extender as advised in these forums), but I had the grey issue so turned off the hardware acceleration and then I got stutter, so I went to the Nightly builds and installed, remote working fully but no HD audio?
I get sound but in the audio setup I can turn on pass through but there is no selection for audio or HD types ie DTS Master, any body have any idea how to edit the EDID as posted in the quote?
I am very inexperienced with openelec although I have been running it flawlessly on an older slower PC for around a year ( with HD audio).
Panasonic Plasma
Denon 2809
Haswell i3
Settings levels hierarchy. Set it to "Advanced" then you have all the codec options. We don't use Edid data to decide if bitstream passthrough is possible. That's still a user setting.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-02-02, 00:34)nickr Wrote:
(2014-02-01, 23:02)djbase666 Wrote:
(2014-02-01, 08:29)Selene Wrote: SBS/OU yes.. frame packed.. no.

Cool tnx !

Greetz,

Djbase

2205x1080 http://www.best-3dtvs.com/what-is-frame-packing-3d/

Isn't it 1920 x 2205 (i.e. 2 x Full HD 1920 x 1080 frames on top of each other with 45 lines of blanking between the two?)
1080+45+1080 = 2205?
(2014-02-02, 10:28)fritsch Wrote: Settings levels hierarchy. Set it to "Advanced" then you have all the codec options. We don't use Edid data to decide if bitstream passthrough is possible. That's still a user setting.

Hi Thanks, works perfectly for me now, great forum, really informative, I will keep an eye on this thread for any updates.
Apologies if this has been covered but I couldn't find anything specific to this setup. Actually, I've been digging and searching and reading for so long I don't remember what I found, but I'm still stuck.

I've just set up my i3 NUC. Installed the OpenElec Gotham Nightly from 1/25.

I cannot put the machine to sleep, because XBMC crashes when I trigger it. A notice appears in the lower right hand corner saying, "Working...", and then the system hangs. Screen stays on, power stays on, fans continue to spin, but the system is unresponsive.
Any ideas are welcome. Links to similar posts, etc. Happy to include any logs on request. I did notice this in my varlog, which appears to be the xorg log:

Quote:(WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
Also, failed to load modules modesetting, fbdev and vesa. Dunno if that matters.

** Edit:
Also found this in the XBMC log, after turning on debugging:
Quote:ERROR: Keymapping error: no such action 'lcd.suspend' defined
(last line in there before crash)
Could this be the cause of the issue, even though I didn't actually use a key to trigger suspend? I went into the shutdown menu and selected it from there.
  • 133(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7