• 206(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2014-04-10, 08:32)WilliamG Wrote:
(2014-04-10, 08:04)fritsch Wrote: Yes - that's not a problem. FFmpeg cannot decode DTS-HD-MA for now and therefore the Core is displayed - don't mind as it is obviously passthroughed correctly.

OK, brilliant. Thanks.

(2014-05-08, 16:33)axbmcuser Wrote: I'm very very much a silent lover, so here my experience regarding fan noise:

D54250WYKH (i5, stock intel case, internal 2,5" SATA SSD)

I was willing to give the stock case a try before buying passive.

Fan control set to AUTO min 25 max 100.

Result:
Incredibly(!) silent while using OpenELEC. Fan stays at 25% all the time for me while watching fullscreen media. 25% means dead silent for this case. You can make the fan spin up very little and for a short time when you make stuff like putting transparent menus over a running video or transparent background video while going to homescreen. But even then the fan spins up only very little stops again almost right away when you resume watching media in normal fullscreen.

Summer isn't quite there yet but i've been happy for month now. No need for passive in my case.

It may be different for you if you live in a area with permanent high temperatures or you want to run windows.

I can only recommend buying the larger nuc case (H-models) with 2,5" option and trying it out with fan control auto 25-100. You may be surprised.

If i ever feel the need to switch to passive, i found the Akasa Tesla H a good option. Not the smallest case, but because of that larger surface it should do better than some smaller cases as some tests seem to confirm (afair).

I just ordered the tranquil Abel-H2 chassis for my D54250WYK. I expect to use it in our bedroom.
KODI 20 - LibreELEC 11

Intel NUC 4250U (Haswell) in Abel H2 chassis, Philips 55OLED804
(2014-05-07, 23:25)axbmcuser Wrote: Since i don't use pictures at the moment, i don't mind that much which way i'm using. But if we can work towards a fix, would't hurt, would it? I'll stick with preferred Case 1 for now.

Another data point: xbmc range set to full, xrandr set to full, TV set to expect full RGB range (I can select this on my Panasonic), and everything works well (with presumably only one scaling operation and therefore minimal banding).

The only way I can explain this is that XBMC's full screen picture viewer is ignoring XBMC's 16-235 RGB range setting, resulting in crushed blacks when this setting is enabled. Though I'm probably being naive ....!
(2014-05-08, 16:01)dbldown768 Wrote: I just don't get why people are concerned with the tiny fan in this box. It's not like it is mounted to your head and makes a lot of noise. Mines been working just fine with openelec and would recommend.

Sorry for asking man. I just don't want to have noise and I want to keep the dust out of the computer. I plan on mounting it to the back of the TV using a VESA mount.
Ugh. I am totally at my wits' end here, guys/ i5 haswell NUC, running XBMCBuntu mostly from the LXDE and Openbox environments rather than the XBMC environment. I can't get my built-in IR receiver working, and have tried all the methods in this thread. I actually previously had it working, but reinstalled the OS and haven't been able to figure it out since. The problem might be that I don't know which autostart file to put the code in. At any rate, I feel like a real dummy. IRW doesn't register anything. Please help!
@ratzofftoya

But you can turn on the NUC with IR remote from full off state?
⬅️⬅️ Feel free to leave a 👍 on useful posts  |  A Confluence ZEITGEIST (A modern reimagination of Confluence)  |  axbmcuser REPO (Download Link)  |  Kodi 17.7 DSPlayer x64 BETTERGUI (2020 build)
Intel NUC D34010WYK owner here, on Win 8.1 x64.

Does anyone experience any out-of-sync issues with the audio when using 23Hz refresh rate for 23.976 movies?

I even tried changing the refresh rate in the Windows monitor settings and then running the movie from MPC-HC and I still get the out-of-sync issue :-(.
You really mean 23.0 hz?

That cannot work for 23.976 content without skipping like hell.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-05-10, 13:55)fritsch Wrote: You really mean 23.0 hz?

That cannot work for 23.976 content without skipping like hell.

According to http://www.anandtech.com/show/7007/intel...spective/4 the 23Hz setting is actually 23.976.

One more interesting tidbit, according to the manual of my Sony KDL-46W905A TV, it looks like it doesn't support this mode: Image
Although I'm not really sure what that last "PC formats" option is for...

I wonder why the Intel graphics driver lets me switch to it though. If the TV really doesn't support it, what am I supposed to see when I switch to a non-supported refresh rate?

Edit: Actually... I'm not really sure why I'm looking at the TV specs, the HDMI out of the NUC is connected to my Onkyo 727 receiver...
Could you try with a capable OS? E.g. boot with OpenELEC? And see if something changes. While having the correct settings, please post: /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc-xrandr | pastebinit.

Most TVs just show 24 - xbmc-xrandr can tell the fractional value.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-05-09, 22:02)ricardosunnie Wrote: Hi Corner,

Did you make the changes suggested in post 608 of this list?

(2014-05-10, 12:22)axbmcuser Wrote: @ratzofftoya

But you can turn on the NUC with IR remote from full off state?

I don't believe my mce remote (xbox 360 media remote) is capable of doing that in any case.
Confirming that the "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources command only works in the terminal as root. Even using "sudo" before it doesn't work. Not sure if that impacts what I need to do to get it auto-starting, but once I go in as root and make the change, everything works just fine.
putting it the old way to /etc/rc.local does not work?

(right in the line before the exit 0)
in xbmcbuntu, you can create a file autostart.sh in /etc/xbmc/
with the following content:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# RGB fix
DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"

# IR fix
modprobe -r nuvoton_cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton_cir

this file is executed everytime you start xbmcbuntu

if this does not work, try to put the file in /etc/xbmc/live.d/
(2014-05-10, 18:48)fritsch Wrote: putting it the old way to /etc/rc.local does not work?

(right in the line before the exit 0)

Works for me just fine that way, although I need to put a sleep statement in to delay things a bit.
(2014-05-10, 19:11)Nafi Wrote: in xbmcbuntu, you can create a file autostart.sh in /etc/xbmc/
with the following content:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# RGB fix
DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"

# IR fix
modprobe -r nuvoton_cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton_cir

this file is executed everytime you start xbmcbuntu

if this does not work, try to put the file in /etc/xbmc/live.d/

Putting it in live.d ended up working! Thanks.
  • 206(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7