• 205(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
Lots of modern TVs have all sorts of backlight and contrast processing. If you go from a dark scene to the same scene with peak white in it, you can see the black levels change horribly on some displays.
(2014-05-07, 07:21)macmus Wrote: Why this is intel bug ? netflix cannot address that ? I like addon for XBMC but this one does not have dolby Sad

It is very clearly an Intel driver bug because the workaround involves changing the settings on the Intel driver. It has to do with protected audio path and DRM, so ultimately you should blame the studios for forcing us to deal with this garbage. To MrCrispy, I don't think this is the same bug you're talking about.

I use XBMC to launch the Netflix app.
Wait, there's still the audio bug in Intel drivers? I thought this was only for BayTrail and not in Haswell.
(2014-05-07, 09:25)fritsch Wrote: It does not. Could be a known feature by your TV ... "optimizing Contrast" or something. Try xbmc Limited option unset and keep your hdmi on limited (remove the xrandr hack) and compare.

fritsch, your ability to remotely diagnose subtle weird stuff is truly amazing. My TV settings didn't seem to have any effect (I had all "smart" algorithms turned off anyhow), but doing what you suggested made a difference. In summary:

xbmc limited unset, no xrandr hack -> test images display correctly in thumbnail and full screen
xbmc limited set, xrandr full RGB -> test images display correctly in thumbnail but blacks are crushed in full screen

I don't pretend to understand this, but thought you might be interested ....
(2014-05-07, 09:25)fritsch Wrote: It does not. Could be a known feature by your TV ... "optimizing Contrast" or something. Try xbmc Limited option unset and keep your hdmi on limited (remove the xrandr hack) and compare.

My many years old limited-rgb-range 46" LCD has almost no post processing. The pp-options that are there are fully deactivated.

(2014-05-07, 19:34)ahgee2 Wrote: In summary:

xbmc limited unset, no xrandr hack -> test images display correctly in thumbnail and full screen
xbmc limited set, xrandr full RGB -> test images display correctly in thumbnail but blacks are crushed in full screen

I don't pretend to understand this, but thought you might be interested ....

Similar results here (Limited range LCD, HDMI connected directly without AVR):

Case 1:
Quote:xrandr to FULL range
xbmc range setting checked (=LIMITED)

Picture THUMBNAILS blacks okay
Picture FULLSCREEN blacks crushed
Video THUMBNAILS blacks okay
Video FULLSCREEN blacks okay

Side note:
When the black-level-test-image is put in a video, the blacks are not crushed! Only fullscreen picture seems affected.
So after all it really may be a problem regarding fullscreen-pictures being processed differently than fullscreen-videos? I don't have any other explanation.
I even put out my old media player to compare the same videos and pictures and on the old player picture and video give the same result.

Case 2:
Quote:xrandr to LIMITED range
xbmc range setting NOT checked (=FULL)

Picture THUMBNAILS blacks okay
Picture FULLSCREEN blacks okay
Video THUMBNAILS blacks okay
Video FULLSCREEN blacks okay

So you would guess Case 2 would be unlogical UI-wise for a limited-rgb-range TV, but still worth testing.

If i understood lmyllari correctly, Case 1 would be the preferred way for a limited range LCD (and more logical in terms of UI).
Since i don't use pictures at the moment, i don't mind that much which way i'm using. But if we can work towards a fix, would't hurt, would it? I'll stick with preferred Case 1 for now.

If i can do more testing to narrow the potential bug down, please let me know.

Greets! Smile

BTW: Also to confirm: Everything else seems to work great since the kernel USB-bug was patched. Live-TV/PVR more stable than ever (even compared to my beloved 3.2.4 build from lmyllari)
⬅️⬅️ Feel free to leave a 👍 on useful posts  |  A Confluence ZEITGEIST (A modern reimagination of Confluence)  |  axbmcuser REPO (Download Link)  |  Kodi 17.7 DSPlayer x64 BETTERGUI (2020 build)
(2014-05-06, 15:24)fritsch Wrote: Onkyos have a "Postprocessing Setting" which needs to be turned off.

Here is a testimage:

or

Is black black? Do you see all rows in the last one? (It's okay, when you don't see the top most three squares), but if a full line is missing - something is wrong.

Have now set to limited added the line to autostart.

I'm getting the same results on both thumbnail and full screen on the images, but not sure west I'm looking for. What boxes should we be able to see on the test images to test black?
I am considering buying a Haswell based NUC in the near future. I would like to go with a fanless set up but it seems all the nice small cases are sold overseas. I am based in the U.S. and was wondering where I can get a good passive heatsink style case without paying customs fees?
I just don't get why people are concerned with the tiny fan in this box. It's not like it is mounted to your head and makes a lot of noise. Mines been working just fine with openelec and would recommend.
Motherboard P5N7A-VM, E8400 C2D 3.0 processor. NVIDIA 9300 graphics card. OpenELEC Stable - Generic x86_64 Version:3.2.4
I'm very very much a silent lover, so here my experience regarding fan noise:

D54250WYKH (i5, stock intel case, internal 2,5" SATA SSD)

I was willing to give the stock case a try before buying passive.

Fan control set to AUTO min 25 max 100.

Result:
Incredibly(!) silent while using OpenELEC. Fan stays at 25% all the time for me while watching fullscreen media. 25% means dead silent for this case. You can make the fan spin up very little and for a short time when you make stuff like putting transparent menus over a running video or transparent background video while going to homescreen. But even then the fan spins up only very little stops again almost right away when you resume watching media in normal fullscreen.

Summer isn't quite there yet but i've been happy for month now. No need for passive in my case.

It may be different for you if you live in a area with permanent high temperatures or you want to run windows.

I can only recommend buying the larger nuc case (H-models) with 2,5" option and trying it out with fan control auto 25-100. You may be surprised.

If i ever feel the need to switch to passive, i found the Akasa Tesla H a good option. Not the smallest case, but because of that larger surface it should do better than some smaller cases as some tests seem to confirm (afair).
⬅️⬅️ Feel free to leave a 👍 on useful posts  |  A Confluence ZEITGEIST (A modern reimagination of Confluence)  |  axbmcuser REPO (Download Link)  |  Kodi 17.7 DSPlayer x64 BETTERGUI (2020 build)
I only have experienced that Aeon Nox 4 can make some fan spin... I dont recall playing games on (like Lego Harry Potter, Grid 2, etc) playing any video and other programs did spin up the fan up.

And I can be quickly annoyed by fan. Wink
To be fair, i did not ever test load-intensive skins. I only use Confluence with black background.

Even fullscreen Live-TV with HW-decoding+SW-deinterlacing doesn't spin up the fan for me. (Stays at 25%)
Couldnt find the answer anywhere online but can you use a NUC without any SDD and just a USB stick with OpenElec. Would save me a couple of bucks since I use a NAS for all my data.
Yes, i used my i5 NUC with OE on an USB 3.0 stick.

On some BIOS versions (i'm still on 0024) you have to disable SATA completely to make USB 3.0 boot work.
My STB makes some noise, I can easily hear its hard disk spin. Even the receiver will emit a whine now and then. But these things are only audible when no media is playing, so I don't really mind. My main pc is quite loud because of fan noise, but I'm guessing the NUC fan even at full load will be nothing like that. I'd be more concerned about dust buildup and having to clean it periodically.
  • 205(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7