• 253(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
Thank you guys for the previous help.

Today I received the NUC, as far from now it's perfect. Bit-stream DTS-HD MA, awesome quality of video...

Here some pics:

(2015-04-21, 23:20)Nellgrove Wrote: I previously had the correct black level, but I have black crush with openelec 5 on both machines. As I had on Openelec 4 - I have the full RGB set in autostart.sh and I have it set to limited in the menus, but this isn't working correctly now. Any ideas on what else needs to be changed?

If you want to output limited 16-235 levels (which are what most HDMI devices expect as default - as they are the standard used in DVD, Blu-ray etc.) then you have two options :

1. Run the Intel GPU in Limited mode - which means that 16-235 content is mapped from to 0-255 and then back again which can introduce banding. The Intel GPU drivers do this by default when running at 1280x720 or 1920x1080 as they are HDTV resolutions. You can also force it in the same way as you can force full RGB in autostart.sh This allows full hardware acceleration of both decoding and deinterlacing.

2. Run the Intel GPU in Full mode (so that the Intel GPU thinks it is driving a 0-255 display) BUT feed it with 16-235 content so that it comes out as 16-235. This is what the RGB Full option in autostart.sh coupled with the limited output range in the menus offers. HOWEVER you can't do that if you use VAAPI rendering (which is required for hardware de-interlacing) as doing so pushes it though a 0-255 process. You need to run software decoding only I think to get this to work?

*** EDIT - update to clarify VAAPI issues ***
What remote control do you recommend? I mean, something like out-of-box, using the IR that comes with NUC. Thanks!
(2015-04-24, 07:33)mfritzen Wrote: What remote control do you recommend? I mean, something like out-of-box, using the IR that comes with NUC. Thanks!

Harmony Smart Control Wink
(2015-04-24, 02:20)noggin Wrote:
(2015-04-21, 23:20)Nellgrove Wrote: I previously had the correct black level, but I have black crush with openelec 5 on both machines. As I had on Openelec 4 - I have the full RGB set in autostart.sh and I have it set to limited in the menus, but this isn't working correctly now. Any ideas on what else needs to be changed?

If you want to output limited 16-235 levels (which are what most HDMI devices expect as default - as they are the standard used in DVD, Blu-ray etc.) then you have two options :

1. Run the Intel GPU in Limited mode - which means that 16-235 content is mapped from to 0-255 and then back again which can introduce banding. The Intel GPU drivers do this by default when running at 1280x720 or 1920x1080 as they are HDTV resolutions. You can also force it in the same way as you can force full RGB in autostart.sh This allows full hardware acceleration of both decoding and deinterlacing.

2. Run the Intel GPU in Full mode (so that the Intel GPU thinks it is driving a 0-255 display) BUT feed it with 16-235 content so that it comes out as 16-235. This is what the RGB Full option in autostart.sh coupled with the limited output range in the menus offers. HOWEVER you can't do that if you use VAAPI (certainly for rendering - and I think, though I may be wrong, for acceleration) as doing so pushes it though a 0-255 process. You need to run software decoding only I think to get this to work?

You don't have to disable the whole hw acceleration process, disabling vaapi rendering will be enough and of course you can't use vaapi deinterlacing methods too.
LG OLED65C8 / Denon AVR-X3200W / KEF E305+ONKYO SKH-410 / Synology DS2415+ / Logitech Harmony Companion / ZOTAC MAGNUS EN1060K (Kodi DSPlayer x64) / LightSpace HTL, DisplayCal, HCFR, Calman / i1D3 OEM Rev.B, i1PRO2 OEM Rev.E
(2015-04-24, 07:33)mfritzen Wrote: What remote control do you recommend? I mean, something like out-of-box, using the IR that comes with NUC. Thanks!

I use the fire tv stick remote and I love it
if you want an IR use the Apple Remote Wink

do you really need over 9000 buttons on a remote? Smile

(2015-04-24, 09:09)Crssi Wrote:

Harmony Smart Control Wink

(2015-04-24, 11:12)Plany Wrote:

I use the fire tv stick remote and I love it
if you want an IR use the Apple Remote Wink

do you really need over 9000 buttons on a remote? Smile

I am sorry that I have originally replied wrongly.
This thread is for NUC only.

NUC is compatible with RC6 remote control protocol.
With this info open another thread to avoid hijacking this one.
I have a little issue as far from now. When I turn on NUC (after shutdown ou sleep) it can't access my files on PC (connection refuse, and something like that). But if I wait some minutes it can access.

What could it be?
Anybody proved the following scenario possible:

Intel 4th gen haswell i5 NUC,

Outputing via windows and kodi,

Bitstreaming audio to - AVR

2160p resolution 30/fps to UHD display. (I think that is all the 4th gen nuc is capable of if I'm not mistaken)

Besides the obvious, have to use Mini DP to HDMI for second output....is this doableHuh

I have not invested in a 4k reciever yet,

Still using a Denon AVR4311ci.
KODI1: Shield 2019 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo Z9X 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D/ and 4K HDR/ DV AVR1: YAM RXA3080 DISP1: LG OLED77G6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI2: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR2: Marantz NR1607 DISP2: LG OLED55C6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI3: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR3: Denon AVR-X3300 DISP3: LG OLED65G6P /3D/HDR/DV
(2015-04-29, 19:56)mfritzen Wrote: I have a little issue as far from now. When I turn on NUC (after shutdown ou sleep) it can't access my files on PC (connection refuse, and something like that). But if I wait some minutes it can access.

What could it be?
Networking?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-04-30, 07:47)nc88keyz Wrote: Anybody proved the following scenario possible:

Intel 4th gen haswell i5 NUC,

Outputing via windows and kodi,

Bitstreaming audio to - AVR

2160p resolution 30/fps to UHD display. (I think that is all the 4th gen nuc is capable of if I'm not mistaken)

Besides the obvious, have to use Mini DP to HDMI for second output....is this doableHuh

I have not invested in a 4k reciever yet,

Still using a Denon AVR4311ci.

What are you actually asking? Whether i5 NUC can do 2160p30 (answer I dunno) or whether you can do video out of one port and audio out of another (answer, yes).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Can confirm the Haswell (4th Gen) NUC can do 2160/30p over HDMI. Can't comment on the Displayport resolution (it may be higher - but not many Displayport UHD TVs around now)

The NUC will also do full H264 VAAPI acceleration of 2160/30p content in OpenElec. Haven't tried Windows with DXVA - but I suspect similar, and there may also be some H265 HEVC acceleration with the new drivers that use CPU+GPU acceleration.
Hello to everybody,
I purchased a core i5 4th generation NUC a while ago. I am very satisfied with the NUC, but I have some tearing problems during the playback with Kodi.
My configuration is the following:
- Kodi 14.2 installed on top of a standard Ubuntu 14.10 installation (kernel 3.16)
- Updated Intel graphics drivers 1.5.1 through the Intel Graphics Installer
- Match refresh rate enabled in Kodi -> System -> Playback

Tearing is always present even if I disable the match refrash rate option, or if I manually change the graphics refresh rate through xrandr -r .

Someone has this problem? I have seen on some posts that a possible solution is to enable the "TearFree" option in xorg.conf, but my Ubuntu installation does not ship with a xorg.conf file (and I don't know how to create a correct one). Moreover, I see in this other thread http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=165707 that fritsch is against this solution due to the introduction of triple buffering.

Any suggestion would be appreciated. I really would like to keep the Ubuntu + Kodi configuration because the NUC is the only PC that I have at home, so I need it for other tasks beside the video playing.
Check the length of the VGA or hdmi cable.

I've solved tearing problems with a new cable before.
(2015-05-05, 11:30)zag Wrote: Check the length of the VGA or hdmi cable.

I've solved tearing problems with a new cable before.

Hi,

I am using a 1.8 meter micro HDMI -> HDMI cable, with golden coated contacts, 3D, ethernet and HDMI 2.0 compliant. I think is not a cable fault (with the same hardware, booting on windows, I do not have tearing).
  • 253(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7