• 254(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
It seems like Ubuntu always has screen tear issues, regardless of graphics hardware. Try following suggestions in this thread if you haven't already. First and foremost, be sure you set vsync in kodi settings.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2219091
Maybe you should also deactivate compositing http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1532357
| myHTPC |
Thank you for the suggestions.

I followed the link, but the libsdl1.2debian library is already installed (first solution posted in thread), while I am not able to set the "TearFree" option in the 20-intel.conf because I don't have this file. I tried to create this file, with the basic settings indicated in the forum, but the result is a blank screen right after booting (no graphical interface, no login screen). The only solutio was to log in through textual interface (ctrl-alt-f1) and delete the file.

Regarding composite deactivation, I disabled it using Compiz Manager, and the result was a complete crash of the Unity interface.... So I was forced to reactivate it.

The only solution I have found to remove tearing is to log-in in Ubuntu using Kodi as "user interface" instead of Unity. If no other solution is available, I will use this approach when I need to watch some movie (log-out from unity and log-in in Kodi)
Thats why ubuntu with Unity is not really a recommended route to a media pc with kodi. Recommended base distros are xubuntu (xfce) or lubuntu (lxde). Neither is dependent on compositing. kodbuntu is based on xfce I think.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Not sure which link is which but I solved the exact same problem with this link http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=100898
Sorry if this is a repeat
Maybe I have found a solution to tearing in Unity.

In CompizConfig Setting Manager, under the section general-> composite, there are the settings that can be used to completely disable composite. In the same section there is an interesting line "unredirect match". The hint of this line says "Specifies which window will be unredirected when they are fullscreen. You might want to exclude video players to avoid tearing".

In fact, this line is populated with the most common videoplayer applications (vlc, totem, mplayer), but not with kodi. I have simply added the KODI item to the list of applications ( & !(class=Kodi) ) and now magically everything works! No tearing!
The discrete power on for the NUC with the harmony smart remote is a nightmare.

My 'alt+space' trick to turn it on doesn't work anymore after changing tv, so I'm back to having a non-functioning discrete power on.
I am try to understand and resolve an issue I am having with the colour range output from my NUC (D34010 i3) via Kodi (v15 Beta 1) via my Denon X2000 to my TV (LG EC930V). I am having trouble getting the correct settings to ensure the colour range received by the TV is correct. The issue I am seeing is that I am getting blacks crushed via Kodi. I am using the black clipping.mp4 from the AVS calibration files for my tests.

There are multiple variables within the chain which must impact on the range the TV receives. The NUC has intel graphics 4400 and is running Windows 7 (64bit) SP1. The Intel settings have two areas I need to be clear on, firstly the output setting. Limited (16-235) or Full and secondly, RGB or YCBCR. Then within Kodi there is the option to use the limited range option and finally I have ‘Black Level’ on the LG which is High or Low, I have read that High = Limited and Low = Full range confusingly enough.

Just to also add that playing the black clipping.mp4 via VLC gave a different result to Kodi(XBMC), I could see bar 17 via VLC.

I need educating if anybody is able to help?

Thanks,

Guy
Has anyone else got any aftermarket case for their nuc like a fanless one?
TV: Sony  65" A1E Surround: Yamaha RXA-3050 + ORB Audio Mod2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Sub Processor: Darbee + DVDO iScan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K + Apple TV4K + Vu+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS 871 Pro i7 16GB Ram 10GBe
Akasa ?
http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=p...ub=Fanless
(2015-05-31, 12:57)a5ian300zx Wrote: Has anyone else got any aftermarket case for their nuc like a fanless one?

I just put mine into the Akasa. Works great. The case gets hot while in use but quickly starts cooling down when I am done watching stuff. If I go back to the desktop quickly I can see that my temps are around 45C idling

I am really happy that I bought the case. This NUC is used in a bedroom and the noise was driving me bonkers
I think they are fantastic, I have the tranquil fanless case on mine and love it. Its bigger than the nuc case obviously as it needs to cool it but also has a slot for a 2.5" drive.
TV: Sony  65" A1E Surround: Yamaha RXA-3050 + ORB Audio Mod2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Sub Processor: Darbee + DVDO iScan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K + Apple TV4K + Vu+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS 871 Pro i7 16GB Ram 10GBe
NUC fanless cases

Hi,

a minor, but annoying problem with my HDMI-CEC operated NUC is that it shows only a black screen after wake-up from sleep (ie. when I turn off the system with my remote => power save).
In a test with underlying Win8 the system wakes up normally (hit key on external USB-keyboard)...

So this seems to be a HDMI-CEC problem...?
I like to keep my Openelec Nuc on all the time so it always works when the kids switch it on. Just recently though I've noticed it powering down on its own more often. The harmony remote is set to always on (and it doesn't shut down every time) and all the power saving features are off.

I'm up to date on openelec (official, not the betas).

Has anything changed recently that could cause this, didn't happen before?
  • 254(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7