• 255(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
If your machine is spontaneously turning off the most likely causes are overheating or a faulty power supply.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Also, of you are using a hub based remote there was a bug in the previous firmware that triggered the on/off sequence each time an activity was switched.
I think I did something wrong... alright Tongue

I'm having trouble playing a .ts file. The screen flickers... what could it be?
debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks!

I played the file and turn off Deinterlacing video and the flickers stopped, looks like it's playing FINE.

But, anyway, here's the log:

http://xbmclogs.com/pr9p5hxqq

-

Another thing... can you help me about the server? when I start my NUC I have to wait few minutes to access my desktop where my stuff are. It can't access in the beginning, I always have to wait like 5 minutes.
(2015-01-21, 19:01)lmyllari Wrote:
(2015-01-21, 18:41)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-01-21, 18:28)Diapason Wrote: That's odd. I've xrandr set to output full, I have limited range enabled in Kodi, and colour space 3 (16-235) set on the TV, brightness is set to +2 on the TV and that seems just about right... This is with a KRP-500M.

I assume 1-Black Clipping.mp4 is on the AVS HD 709 thingummy? I downloaded it once but never actually tried it, so maybe I should give it a go.

if you're using xrandr to set full range (0-255) output, then your TV needs to be set to match (so, color space 0). If you're a limited range on your TV, then you wouldn't need to use xrandr and you should leave the Kodi setting at default (non-limited range)
When using xrandr to set full range output, the TV needs to be set to match the Kodi setting. If Kodi is set to limited range, then the TV needs to be set to limited range too (although some TVs like Panasonic plasmas ignore the infoframes and always expect a limited range signal).

Everything at default (the same as setting limited range with xrandr and full range in Kodi) provides properly tagged limited range signal, but the levels are scaled twice (first by Kodi limited->full range, then by GPU full->limited range), causing banding and clipping BtB and WtW. (PC monitors will get a full range signal, but that is still scaled once and has the same problems.)

Sorry to disturb you..so the correct settings for:

Chromebox with oe 15/16 xrandr to full
Panasonic Vt60 set to limited (option are Auto, Full, Limited)
Kodi set to limited

Right ? Thank youBlush
(2015-08-17, 18:51)Roby77 Wrote:
(2015-01-21, 19:01)lmyllari Wrote:
(2015-01-21, 18:41)Matt Devo Wrote: if you're using xrandr to set full range (0-255) output, then your TV needs to be set to match (so, color space 0). If you're a limited range on your TV, then you wouldn't need to use xrandr and you should leave the Kodi setting at default (non-limited range)
When using xrandr to set full range output, the TV needs to be set to match the Kodi setting. If Kodi is set to limited range, then the TV needs to be set to limited range too (although some TVs like Panasonic plasmas ignore the infoframes and always expect a limited range signal).

Everything at default (the same as setting limited range with xrandr and full range in Kodi) provides properly tagged limited range signal, but the levels are scaled twice (first by Kodi limited->full range, then by GPU full->limited range), causing banding and clipping BtB and WtW. (PC monitors will get a full range signal, but that is still scaled once and has the same problems.)

Kodi set to limited

Right ? Thank youBlush

Right! I have st60 and have researched this thoroughly.
This is where it gets confusing...

Almost all consumer video is coded in limited range 16-235 (aka Limited) YCrCb 4:2:0.

HDMI TVs will default to Limited 16-235 input range, but many can also be configured to accept Full 0-255 range. (*)

Usually Kodi handles video in the 0-255 domain, so 16-235 content is usually scaled to 0-255 internally.

The Intel GPU driver can output 16-235 limited video or 0-255 full video.

If you want Limited video outputs then the obvious thing to do is to ensure the GPU is running in Limited output range. (This is the default behaviour for 720p and 1080i/p modes in OpenElec with an Intel GPU)
In this case the video has gone 16-235 -> 0-255 -> 16-235. This can introduce banding (**) due to 8 bit scaling happening twice.

If you want Full video output then you can use xrandr to output Full range 0-255 video, and configure your display to accept Full range inputs (this is not always possible if you route through an AVR and have other sources feeding your AVR that are conventional HDMI sources like satellite receivers and DVD/Blu-ray players that only output Limited range)
In this case the video has gone 16-235 -> 0255 and there is only one scale, though this can still introduce banding (**)

HOWEVER there is a third option - which can work in some cases - which can deliver Limited video range output without scaling to 0-255 and avoiding banding.
You configure your GPU to output Full 0-255 range video. However you tell Kodi to compensate for this (by setting the Limited 16-235 range option in video output system settings) Kodi then ensures that the video remains in 16-235 level space when output. Until very recently it wasn't possible to do this if you used VAAPI rendering (needed for VAAPI deinterlacing) - as that always scaled via 0-255 - but new code has been produced that does now allow this to happen in 16-235 level space, so if you are using experimental builds you can continue to use VAAPI Rendering AND get 16-235 all the way through (***) . This code is in the experimental EGL stuff here : http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955
So in this case the video stays 16-235 all the way through (though the output is configured for full 0-255 range it is output as 16-235 via a cheat) (***)

(*) It is possible for HDMI sources to flag their signal to tell a display whether the video is in 0-255 or 16-235 space using 'info frames'. However these are usually ignored. But not by all displays.
(**) In the new experimental VAAPI with EGL code there is now the option to add dither. This can help reduce the visibility of banding by adding a small amount of dither noise to the 16-235 <-> 0-255 scaling.
(***) This works on TVs that ignore the Full 0-255 / Limited 16-235 'info frame' flags, but if they interpret them correctly, then the 'cheat' doesn't work, as the TV doesn't get tricked into accepting 0-255 Full range flagged video as 16-235 Limited range video as we hope. My 2007 Sony Full HD set ignores them, my 2014 Sony UHD set follows them. Therefore I can use the cheat that delivers clean 16-235 all the way through on my 2007 set, but not my 2014 one...
(2015-08-17, 22:50)Hufvudet Wrote:
(2015-08-17, 18:51)Roby77 Wrote:
(2015-01-21, 19:01)lmyllari Wrote: When using xrandr to set full range output, the TV needs to be set to match the Kodi setting. If Kodi is set to limited range, then the TV needs to be set to limited range too (although some TVs like Panasonic plasmas ignore the infoframes and always expect a limited range signal).

Kodi set to limited

Right ? Thank youBlush

thank you

did you also disable vaapi render ?
(2015-08-18, 00:23)Roby77 Wrote:
(2015-08-17, 22:50)Hufvudet Wrote:
(2015-08-17, 18:51)Roby77 Wrote: Sorry to disturb you..so the correct settings for:

Kodi set to limited

Right ? Thank youBlush

thank you

did you also disable vaapi render ?

Read noggins post above for very good explanation. But basically, if you're on official OE stable och betas, you must disable vaapi renderer for pure limited range. If you're using the testbuild linked in noggins post you can leave it enabled. You should be using that build since you're this serious about picture quality Smile
Thank you, now i'm using fritsch build
i'll give my impression (and other questions Big Grin ) when i'll reconnect to my plasma
Hi guys, can anyone tell me how good is W10 with our intel NUCs?

I will like to test it in my i3 NUC ( D34010WYK , 4gb ram ) but I don't know if it can handle the OS fine, just for run Kodi and PVR.

Thanks.
Sony XR 55 A80J
Kodi Nexus

Intel Nuc i3 + 4gb ram
OE 4.0.3
(2015-08-26, 13:17)Roby77 Wrote: Thank you, now i'm using fritsch build
i'll give my impression (and other questions Big Grin ) when i'll reconnect to my plasma

The key issue with the "Limited via Full" 'cheat' is whether your TV recognises HDMI info frames or not. If it recognises them, the 'cheat' won't work as it will force the TV to Full range when you want it in Limited. If it ignores them all will be well.

(I wonder if there is a way of getting the Intel driver to report the wrong levelspace in the info frame?)
Finally reconnected to my plasma panasonic and here my test:

My setup:

Chromebox

Tv Panasonic Vt 60 all filter disabled(also 1080p pure direct), in pro1 mode with contrast 80 and brightness +3 and temperature normal ***(european version) colour space 709

Denon Avr x2000

Fritsch's open elec buid

Settings 1:Full range/Dither 8/ Tv full range

Avs hd basic test mp4 version

1)Grayscale ramp = perfect no banding

2)Apl clipping = black 19-28 visible, 18 really hard to see
White: 223-233 visible, 234 hard to notice

3)Grayscale steps = perfect

4)white clipping: 230-233 visible, 234 hard to notice

Settings2:Full range, Kodi limited, Tv limited

1)Grayscal ramp: perfect no banding

2)Apl clipping:black 19-28 visible, 18 really hard to see
White:223-240 visible, 241 hard to notice

3)Grayscale steps: Black 16 not perfect; White 235 not really white, next step is really white

4)White clipping:230-241 visible

***= Using normal instead of warm because is too much yellow/red, as many user report

I try everything but didn't got to fix white problem

I will give a try without Denon Avr
Ok tried WITHOUT AVR and my conclusion are

So as said without avr i understand that the problem is of my tv that although has Auto,Full and normal settings it doesn't seem to work correctly

Here are my screenshot

1) Chromebox Full, Kodi Dither8,TV Full

2)Chromebox Full, Kodi 16-235, TV limited

So thank you all for Dithering option Wink
  • 255(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7