Windows XP question
I run a XP machine on my network only to share external hard drives with my other machines, I'm planning on uninstalling all software on the XP machine and just using it to store media files for my other Win 7 and later computers to use with XBMC. I do not try to access the internet or run any other software on the XP machine. Will it still be safe to do so after Windows support ends in 2014.

I know I can install Linux or NAS software to the XP machine but I'd prefer not having to bother, the XP setup has run flawlessly for years.
Well "safe" is a broad term when combined with computers but yeah for the most part you should be safe especially if you do not browse the internet with this machine and don't setup any port forwarding to this machine or have it available on the internet. A local computer on your LAN could still compromise this machine if it is infected but that is a small possibility.

I know you say you don't want Linux or a NAS but if you did run something like unRaid on that machine you could get rid of the internal drive on your XP machine and have more space for storage.

And I agree XP was a very solid OS and I was sad the day I had to install windows 7 but I have been surprisingly happy with 7.
יונתן בן-חיים
(2013-10-29, 15:23)nokdim Wrote: And I agree XP was a very solid OS and I was sad the day I had to install windows 7 but I have been surprisingly happy with 7.

I'm happy with Windows 7 on all my other machines I just don't want to spend the money only to serve files to XBMC. Thanks for your reply, it makes me feel better keeping my existing setup.
A side note that some browsers will drop support for XP users FTA: The story would not be as big of a deal if it were not for the feared XPopacalypse with a major Virus/worm/trojan taking down millions of systems with no patches to ever fix them and software not being patched to protect them.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/10/29/...-eol-on-xp

So as long as you're off the grid, have no fear.
(2013-10-29, 16:29)PatK Wrote: A side note that some browsers will drop support for XP users FTA: The story would not be as big of a deal if it were not for the feared XPopacalypse with a major Virus/worm/trojan taking down millions of systems with no patches to ever fix them and software not being patched to protect them.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/10/29/...-eol-on-xp

So as long as you're off the grid, have no fear.

Mmmm.... sloppy reporting or deliberate misinformation on slashdot. Huh The links actually say Firefox and Chrome will continue to be supported after next April.
(2013-10-29, 16:29)PatK Wrote: So as long as you're off the grid, have no fear.

I'll still be on my home network just won't use this machine to surf the web or run any applications.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows XP question0