Windows 7 or 8.1
And which edition, home, pro, etc. Is the best to use for the nuc and xbmc. I know this is a personal preference thing but please elaborate as to why you like either version. This is a big expense and i am sure other newbys like me would like to get it right the first time.
NUC I3 Haswell with external 4TB HD, Windows 8.1
Onkyo TX-NR626 Receiver
LG 55" LCD
Cat 6 wired ethernet
Controlled with:
Logitech Harmony 880 remote
Lenovo N5902 remote keyboard/mouse
If its just to run XBMC then neither, OpenElec or any other version of Linux.

If you would like to use windows then why dont you decide as to which one you like better? I personally hate 8 but you may not. it comes down to personal preference, cost, ease of use, additional features you may require...etc.
I chose win 7 as its been around a bit longer and had more info online about modding it. Plus I read online that it had slightly better performance for games. I think I went with win7pro as the other editions didn't have any features that were necessary for a htpc that justified the extra price - although a few times the group policy editor that's bundled wwith higher versions could have come in handy, but nothing that can't be worked around.

But as drastic says, try OE/Linux. The only thing that's better with windows is gaming.
I read the opposite, that windows 8 has better gaming performance.It would kind of make since since windows 8 has a lot of optimizations over windows 7. Not that it would make much of a difference either way. Personally I think windows 8 makes a better HTCP. I have a windows 8 htpc configured to where i can use a remote to select xbmc at the start screen or other apps.Thats pretty much the only reason why. That and the netflix app. I mean Im not a fan of the metro but for a pc thats always at the tv it doesnt make much of a difference.
I don't remember where I read but the difference was tiny anyway - but with the other pros it was enough to sway me.

But I can see how win8 is attractive for htpc use with its improved start up times, general optimisations and the start page controllable via a remote. I guess its personal preference and what you want from the htpc.
For gaming performance win 7 would be the best way to go. Win 8 preforms better on newer titles but support on older titles is a no go.
win 8 is ok but win 7 has a better community.
If the price is the same, then definitely go with Win 8. It's a very good operating system. I use Win 8 in my Intel NUC htpc and am very pleased with the results.
That's the beauty of Linux. You can try all kinds of distros to see which suits you best and it won't cost you any cash out-of-pocket. Smile
I would go windows 7 for xbmc +games (more support , stable )
windows 8 for xbmc+netflix (best app for netflix on windows )
From my experience - when using SSD, Win 8 boots at least twice as fast as Win 7
(2013-10-31, 08:38)Meelisv Wrote: From my experience - when using SSD, Win 8 boots at least twice as fast as Win 7

Depends on the PC, my win 7 i3 htpcs use about 7 sec from bios to xbmc with a few tweks while my server also running i3 but with win 8 uses 18sec and that with a better ssd.

(2013-10-31, 06:30)Djangostar Wrote: I would go windows 7 for xbmc +games (more support , stable )

It's still not close to close to the Netflix experience on roku or atv.
(2013-10-31, 13:34)RaggSokk3n Wrote:
(2013-10-31, 08:38)Meelisv Wrote: From my experience - when using SSD, Win 8 boots at least twice as fast as Win 7

Depends on the PC, my win 7 i3 htpcs use about 7 sec from bios to xbmc with a few tweks while my server also running i3 but with win 8 uses 18sec and that with a better ssd.

(2013-10-31, 06:30)Djangostar Wrote: I would go windows 7 for xbmc +games (more support , stable )

Windows 8 should boot faster than windows 7 when fast boot is enabled, and windows 7 doesn't have a built in roku or atv so i don't understand why you are posting this.
(2013-10-31, 17:15)calev Wrote:
(2013-10-31, 13:34)RaggSokk3n Wrote:

Windows 8 should boot faster than windows 7 when fast boot is enabled, and windows 7 doesn't have a built in roku or atv so i don't understand why you are posting this.

Going w8 just for Netflix won't be the greatest decision because its still frankly the worst Netflix app there is when using a remote/keyboard. W7 license + roku box = 130$ (angry birds included) W8 pro =130$(angry birds not included)
Removing some hdd exclusive procedures that don't apply to ssds will make w7 boot faster that w8 in most cases - it's just that simple... And for that matter; if the boot time 15 vs 7sec is that important get a Linux distro like OE or Xbmcbuntu they'll eat w8 boot time for breakfast Tongue

I'm posting my opinion because it's better than yours Smile
(2013-11-01, 00:36)RaggSokk3n Wrote: Removing some hdd exclusive procedures that don't apply to ssds will make w7 boot faster that w8 in most cases - it's just that simple

(2013-11-01, 00:36)RaggSokk3n Wrote: Going w8 just for Netflix won't be the greatest decision because its still frankly the worst Netflix app there is when using a remote/keyboard. W7 license + roku box = 130$ (angry birds included) W8 pro =130$(angry birds not included)
Removing some hdd exclusive procedures that don't apply to ssds will make w7 boot faster that w8 in most cases - it's just that simple... And for that matter;

You technically buy a windows 8 licence and can use windows 8 or 7 with it.

So an SSD isn't a HDD? What are these procedures you speak of?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 7 or 8.10