xbmc over ssh tunnel?
I'm running a myth TV backend server. Xbmc runs fine using the PVR add on machines in the home network. I'd like to use the same functionality on devices connected to remote networks. I'm using my android phone connecting with sshtunnel. Dynamic port forwarding to the myth server. Seems to be working OK. My IP address is shown as my home address through whatismyip.com. but xbmc doesn't see the backend. Also, using a browser I'm unable to access 127.0.0.1:6543 or 127.0.0.1:631. What am I doing wrong?
I don't know the full answer but typically certain addresses (such as 127.0.0.1) are reserved for local use, and will always refer to the device you're interacting with (such as your android phone in this case), regardless of whether there is a tunnel present or not. You would need to use a different address to get to something on the other end of the tunnel, but since I am not familiar with sshtunnel I'm not sure what that address would be. Most likely it would be the IP address of that device on the other end's local network (probably 192.168.x.x) but that may not always be the case.
Yeah, I had tried the local address of the host as well without luck...
127.0.0.1 is local to each device and it points to itself. In other words, if you try to open 127.0.0.1:6543 from any device that is not the backend, it will try to open whatever is running on port 6543 on that device, not on the backend. You need to find your home router public IP address (usually the WAN IP address) and use that instead of 127.0.0.1.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc over ssh tunnel?0