OpenElec re-install problem
I have installed openelec from USB drive. Unfortunately I made the mistake of using only a 1GB drive which I have now found to be too small for the system. System has become unstable and is reporting a no free space error on booting.

I thought it would be a simple matter of cloning the 1GB usb onto a larger one but have had no end of problems making this happen. I have used different s/w – SuperDuper / Disk Manager etc on Mac with no success. The drive looks like it copies across but when I put it in the PC it does not boot. Tried different USB sticks with the same result.

So I gave up on the cloning and decided to start from scratch – new USB key for openelec and this time use the larger USB drive for the system. Now I am facing another problem – when booting with the new key it is NOT recognised. If I put the current USB back it is still boots directly into openelec. I have tried recreating the key by get the same result.

So my problem is I want to put the system on a bigger usb drive and cannot find a way to achieve this.

I was wondering if the original install key writes something to the HD that I now need to delete inorder to do a fresh install ?

Any other solutions ?

(System is Acer Revo 3600 with latest version of openelec.)
Nothing should be written to the hard drive. Check your BIOS boot order; it's possible that the new USB key is being put in the wrong place. Also possible that the new drive isn't 'bootable'; rare, but it does happen.

Also, rather than cloning, you can make an backup of the relevant files and restore them on the new drive. See http://www.avsforum.com/t/1433975/openel...t_23756527 for instructions.
Hi,

I'm not going to comment on installing to a USB stick, as it's well documented on OpenElec's wiki.

It may be that you've not got USB-HDD set to boot first in the BIOS. You have 2 options; set USB-HDD as the first bootable device in the BIOS (search the internet on how to do this, if you're unsure), or hit F11 on boot (in may be different on your system depending on BIOS version. This should provoke a BBS boot menu, again select USB-HDD.

Let me know how you get on.

Have had the post window open a while, and dagatech has got in there first, didn't realise Smile
HTPC RPI3 Kodi 17 (Krypton) v8.0.1 MR
Storage BPI 1x 500GB SSD UPnP server
Display Sony Bravia 32"
Where are you making the new key?

Are you putting the new flash drive in your windows pc and making the new flash drive bootable?

I'm assuming the new flash drive just didn't get made correctly, did you try to remake it again? Is the new flash drive USB3.0? Do you have USB3.0 ports on Revo? (i don't think you can boot from USB3 these days?)

I'd start all over and remake your flash drive, it probably just didn't work right.

Do you still have the original install media you created? (remember, the instructions are one flash drive to make the INSTALLER, and one flash drive to INSTALL onto.)
(2013-10-31, 17:59)00b5 Wrote: Are you putting the new flash drive in your windows pc and making the new flash drive bootable?

"I have used different s/w – SuperDuper / Disk Manager etc on Mac", so not a Windows PC - running through the OpenElec installer covers creating MacOS bootable sticks.

(2013-10-31, 17:59)00b5 Wrote: Do you still have the original install media you created? (remember, the instructions are one flash drive to make the INSTALLER, and one flash drive to INSTALL onto.)

You can also run Elec live, and you can install to HDD; 2 flash drives are not required.
HTPC RPI3 Kodi 17 (Krypton) v8.0.1 MR
Storage BPI 1x 500GB SSD UPnP server
Display Sony Bravia 32"
Quote:Where are you making the new key?

Using Win7 PC. I am doing a full format and then using openelec installer to create a new key. It creates the key and shows no issues.

Quote:Are you putting the new flash drive in your windows pc and making the new flash drive bootable?

See above ....following exact same method as when I created the original key. Not sure what you mean by making it bootable as this is done automatically ?

Quote:I'm assuming the new flash drive just didn't get made correctly, did you try to remake it again? Is the new flash drive USB3.0?
Several times and no. Looks like he Revo is NOT recognising it as a bootable drive each time.

Quote:Do you still have the original install media you created?

No. Over written.

Quote:It may be that you've not got USB-HDD set to boot first in the BIOS.

It is set as above. Actually when I put the original USB stick in ( not the "key") it boots OK.

This is driving me nuts...I cant see what I am doing wrong. I am creating a fresh key on a formatted USB. Inserting this with another new formatted USB and the Revo just fires back a message the indicating the drive is not bootable.
I cannot to a live install as the HDD has my windows 7 system (which also has XBMC). Only reason I stopped using this it I could not get HD audio to work well. It DOES work well on OpenElec.

Any other suggestions ?

PS I have tried different drives and different versions of openelec
UPDATE - FIXED

I found the problem was the USB sticks I was using. I tried a different make and bingo , it worked fine.

thanks for you help.
Would you mind posting the make and model that was failing? May be helpful to others who read this in the future so they know what to avoid.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenElec re-install problem0