New build thoughts
Have been attempting to get XBMC running for months to no avail. First tried to get it to work on my old laptop which has a dead screen, but it was to slow and no HDMI. So, I bought a used Sony Vaio with better specs and HDMI, works better but still no luck with HD audio. Was thinking about buying a Dune or Mede8er, but each of them seems to have downsides as well.

So, I have decided to break down and build a HTPC from scratch. Wondering if some of you could let me know if my planned hardware are good choices. I'm mainly concerned with playing all my video content, including HD audio tracks, which is almost all DVD/BR rips in MKV format, playing my music files and possibly running some emulated games. Does anyone know if the hardware should work together as I want and if not, what things should I change. I know some parts may be overkill, but I figure better safe than sorry. Plan on it being a Windows 7/XBMC build since I have read that AMD has better HD audio support and that Windows has better AMD driver support than Linux. Says linux is best used with Nvidia GPU's.

Following are the parts I am currently considering:

SilverStone LC20-B ATX HTPC Case(Purchased it yesterday): Case Link

ASRock Z77M micro-atx Motherboard: Motherboard Link

Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge CPU: CPU Link

CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB): RAM Link

XFX Radeon R7 250 Graphics Card: GPU Link

What do ya'll think?
You probably dont need the additional gpu, - the intel cpu/gpu will have hd audio in linux+ good drivers
Forgot to mention the Power Supply. Considering using this one: SeaSonic X650 Gold PSU: PSU Link

Also, I'll be using my old Samsung SSD drive for OS and XBMC and perhaps pull my BR drive out of my desktop and put in it until I get another one. Otherwise I may just stick one of my old DVD drives in it. Will also be getting some Cougar fans since case doesn't come with any and love the ones I put in my desktop.

(2013-11-01, 02:45)teeedubb Wrote: You probably dont need the additional gpu, - the intel cpu/gpu will have hd audio in linux+ good drivers

Thanks for responding!

Yeah, maybe not and will probably wait and see on that. Thought perhaps may need one due to gaming and figured would take load off of CPU.

What about the other parts? Seem adequate and OK choices to you teeedubb?
Moved to hardware support forum.
seems fine. Agree that you don't need the gpu, unless you're serious about games. re HD audio, if you're bitstreaming then cpu support doesn't matter. I don't actually know if AMD has an advantage otherwise.

I would consider getting a haswell rather than ivy bridge. CPU is the exact same price, you can get an H87 motherboard for pretty close in price, and it gives you better power management and slightly better onboard graphics. That PSU is almost certainly overkill, especially if you don't end up getting a separate video card. You can stick around 400w easily, maybe even lower. Also, not a big deal but memory is so cheap that I'd go with 2x4gb sticks. Saves you wanting to add more later on.
THANKS FOR REPLY!!

dagatech Wrote:I would consider getting a haswell rather than ivy bridge. CPU is the exact same price and you can get an H87 motherboard for pretty close in price, and it gives you better power management and slightly better onboard graphics.
Good points, thanks. Looks like not as wide a selection of 1150 boards though. We'll wait and see what deals are available when get ready to purchase.

dagatech Wrote:That PSU is almost certainly overkill, especially if you don't end up getting a separate video card. You can stick around 400w easily, maybe even lower.
PSU choice is based on recommendation on GPU's webpage at AMD that states minimum of 500 watt PSU/recommended 650 watt. Would prefer lower to help with heat, but need to make sure have sufficient power if decide I need to add the GPU.

dagatech Wrote:Also, not a big deal but memory is so cheap that I'd go with 2x4gb sticks. Saves you wanting to add more later on.
Thought about going with 8GB, but every thread I see seems to say 4GB is plenty for video. I'm sure 8GB would be better if end up doing any major gaming, but can always add more later. Trying to keep cost as low as possible and still meet requirements stated in initial post.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New build thoughts0