Feature request: Option to remove ratings
I really don't care what other people rate the things I watch and it just clutters the views... how about an option to disable them altogether?
Windows 11 Pro, Kodi 20, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32gb RAM, nVidia 3080 ti
+1000
That would be skin specific because every skin decides for itself whether and where to show ratings.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2013-11-01, 22:22)Montellese Wrote: That would be skin specific because every skin decides for itself whether and where to show ratings.

A feature request for Confluence, then :)
(2013-11-02, 00:12)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2013-11-01, 22:22)Montellese Wrote: That would be skin specific because every skin decides for itself whether and where to show ratings.

A feature request for Confluence, then Smile

What he said :-)

It would be nice to be able to toggle checkmarks on viewed shows, too... I mean, I'm not THAT old that I can't remember where I left off in my Breaking Bad marathon. I like clean and uncluttered interfaces so I'm always looking for ways to be a bit more of a minimalist I guess.
yup, let's make a toggle for every single pixel on the screen.

not gonna happen.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2013-11-02, 03:33)ronie Wrote: yup, let's make a toggle for every single pixel on the screen.

not gonna happen.

My bad, I thought this was a feature request thread. I never asked for tweaking of every pixel on the screen, merely the ability to toggle two superfluous UI elements. Thanks for the unwarranted sarcasm.
let's make a screen full of toggles and also toggle the toggle to toggle the toggles
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
it's not sarcasm, it's reality.

you don't like to see ratings. cool.
the next one doesn't like watched checkmark. k great
then someone comes in who doesn't want to see the genre, or year or runtime or...

and that's just some of the possibilities on the movie window alone.
the same request exists for the homescreen, music library, video osd, movie info, etc

one thing i've learned, you can add a thousand options to a skin,
there will always be someone who wants no. 1001.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2013-11-02, 03:55)Martijn Wrote: let's make a screen full of toggles and also toggle the toggle to toggle the toggles

Um, in the options I see plenty of toggles already... what's two more?

I didn't realize the XBMC team members were so rude to their userbase, particularly as I can't see that I said anything to deserve it... do you treat people in real life this way? I'm really a huge fan of XBMC and evangelize it to all my friends. I'll just have to tell them not to post on the user forums. Anyway I'm done, sorry if I misinterpreted the feature request thread as a, well, feature request thread instead of a snarky dbag thread.
The general philosophy of Confluence is to keep it simple where reasonable. We deliberately keep the settings to a minimum not only so that it remains simple to use but also so that the code remains reasonably clear, particularly as it's often used as a starting point for other skins.

As you can appreciate, a toggle for X quickly leads to a toggle for Y, Z, and so on, as personal preference is personal and varied.

Fortunately, plenty of other skins are around that help you tweak things further - there's variance confluence mods for example, where this feature might find a place.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

There's a difference between overloading the user with settings and settings phobia. What we're seeing in this thread is settings phobia. The fact that we now have settings levels, as well as skin-specific settings, means there really is no reason we can't have a GUI switch for anything and everything. Making XBMC insanely customizable, and easily customizable, is something to strive for.

So much of XBMC's powerful features and abilities go unnoticed because we're afraid to expose GUI settings for things. I don't think this even has to do with keeping the skin's code clean, because we already have tons of settings that are not exposed in the GUI as it is now, including things that are not really "power user" options. Hiding empty TV shows in the library is one such example.

We have some fantastic skins in the XBMC.org repo that are very easy to use, simple to configure, slim on resources, and look fantastic, and are far more configurable than Confluence. Additionally, for Gotham we have settings levels and smarter defaults for the more casual user. We can have both worlds in Confluence. Evidence for this is in our own add-on repository, and it's only the beginning.

Confluence is a fantastic skin, and we have both methods of handling complex settings as well as people who are willing (sometimes begging) to do the skin modifications. What reason do we have to turn down these ideas, let alone be rude to the people who suggest them?
Another approach to this would be to add such a setting to the scraper add-on, rather than the skin. I think ratings from the scraper site are so useless than I would rather not have that data at all. Ratings that I could define within XBMC would be another story, but for the time being we only have that option with music.
I know what you mean, but calling it settings phobia is a little harsh I feel. Rather, I think it's more a case of a poorly perceived investment-return ratio - that is to say, the time taken to add new settings options (probably involving new settings lists, and once you've started this presumably it's individual pages for all the different info dialogs) and to edit all the info dialogs (testing that they all still look right no matter which selection of information the user has chosen to display) and then to maintain this all over the years, all for the return of pleasing what is likely a small number of users who really don't want to see THAT piece of information just isn't worth it.

Then, as Ronie talked about, there's the issue of where you stop. In the private testing of my skin, one user asked why the title of a video was displayed in the info dialog when she's selected the video by title from a list. If a setting as basic as the title is under consideration, that essentially means that someone, somewhere, is going to object to every single thing that can be displayed - so, either we've got to set certain limits about what is displayed in a skin, or we're going to have to literally give an option for every single piece of information that can be displayed in every single info dialog - which adds mightily to the investment side of the equation.

Having said all that I love the idea of putting this into scraper settings - let the user decide what information to download, and have the skin just ignore empty fields (whilst still maintaining basic default such as title...)
I think it's phobia because the reaction to this request was a generic "no, it's another setting", rather than the merits of the specific situation. Dictating the data seen in the list view is a common, basic setting in almost any other application. Ratings data is more or less garbage data for videos because none of it is user defined. It makes sense for music (where XBMC has user input), but for videos it's the opinion of strangers. If we didn't think very highly of these videos then, logically, we wouldn't be adding them to our libraries. I'm betting that the inclusion of the ratings data itself in certain vews was arbitrarily made in the first place, so why would anyone even defend that design decision?

I could understand not wanting to make every pixel on the screen configurable, but this request is not on the same level as that. This request has a perfectly reasonable logic that likely applies to a lot of users, but it is just brushed aside because of the suggestion to add another setting.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Feature request: Option to remove ratings0