Video Stutter immediately after skip forwward/back when playing VC-1 stuff
I filed the following bug report a couple of days ago, and I was just very curious to know if I am the only one on the planet who has been affected/afflicted by this issue/problem:

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14661

For me at least, the problem is quite annoying, and I have been considering transcoding of essentially all of my WMV/VC-1 files to AVC, simply to eliminate the problem. But that is tedious to do, and would necessarily sacrifice some of original source quality, so I am loath to do it.

All things considered, it would be much better if the problem could simply be fixed in XBMC.

P.S. Has the Midnight MX2 box (with its custom tuned firmware) solved this problem? If so, I'll just go and get one of those.
This may not match your problem exactly, but I’ll past it anywayz.

I used to have these two problems.

1: Random audio/video stutter when watching a Blu-ray ISO, accompanied by a loud noise (bzzz-bzz-bzzz) that lasted 2-3 seconds and recurred frequently. How frequently, depends on the computers energy saving settings.

I solved it by turning of the timer that saves energy by stopping the hard drives from spinning. Apparently the stutter came from some type of electricity surge when the hard drives began to spin again. This probably happened after XBMC came to the end of the stored data in the RAM and needed to retrieve more data from the hard drive(?).

If you have Windows you should go to Start menu => Control panel => Hardware and Sound => Power Options => click on "Change plan settings" => click on "Change advanced power settings" => click on "Hard disk" => click on "Turn of hard disk after" => set it to "Never" => click "OK" at the bottom.

2: Buffering issues when watching a Blu-ray ISO from two of my hard drives, but not from my other hard drives. Eventually I realized that the buffering was due to the fact that these two hard drives where connected to a 4x PCI-E card http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/U3S6 that had two SATA 3 ports.

This card was supposed to speed things up, instead it did the opposite. I don't know why, but it was the cause of the buffering problem. I connected the hard drives to SATA 2.0 ports on the main motherboard and the buffering problem stopped.

This won't solve everyone's problems, but could be helpful in specific circumstances. I have reposted in different threads incase it could be useful to someone.

(W7, AMD Radeon HD 6450, Xonar Essence ST, Onkyo receiver, Sony projector, Eden and Transparency! 4.x)
Whatever problem you are describing, I feel quite sure that it has nothing whatever to do with the problem that I have described (in my formal bug report).

The problem that I have described is limited only to playback of files containing VC-1 encoded video, does not appear when playing back any other type of file, and also the problem that I have described is consistently occurring on both Windows and Linux systems. Furthermore (and somewhat surprisingly) I also found a slightly different manifestation of the exact same problem also when using a Matricom G-Box Midnight MX2 box running Android. In this case, rather than what I was calling "stuttering" (which I now know may perhaps more properly be called serious and abundant "frame dropping") when positioning forward or back within a file containing VC-1 encoded video, the Matricom G-Box Midnight MX2 would simply *freeze* the video for 1/4 to several seconds, and then resume play normally.

All the evidence I have collected indicates that this is just simply a bug in XBMC's built-in video player. It simply does not perform the task of (re-)positioning within VC-1 video either gracefully or properly, as other players (e.g. smplayer) are able to do. I hope to have time in a month or two to try to debug this issue myself and, if I am very lucky, come up with a fix.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Stutter immediately after skip forwward/back when playing VC-1 stuff0