HD spin down during video/MP3 playback of network
i hope this request is posted in the appropriate place.

for those who have a noisy hd (those who own a maxtor will understand me :-)) it would be nice to have the same 'thickable ' function as in xbmp : reduce hd rotation when playback.

the only way to obtain this at the moment is to specify 1 mn in spec for hd spindown and start movie, pause it , wait 1mn and un-pause, which is working but not optimum :-)

question : could we have this function working when playing a full mp3 or a cda album ? i noticed that the hd restarts at the beginning of each new track.

thxs

lud
uh, isn't this already a configureable option in main .xml config file?
hi thebeast,

i spent quite a lot of time trying to configure correctly this hd spin down function and did not obtain the result i had with xbmp. so either i missed something (which is very possible :-)or this option is not fully operationnal.

note that what i want is the hd to be quiet during video and audio playback. that's what i can not have. if you refer to simple hd spin down while xbox does nothing. i have that already (set the time to x mn in general settings)

you talked about "configureable option in main .xml config file"
i guess you refer to the xboxmediacenter.xml., which i checked again but saw nothing related to hd. if i am blind and saw nothing, please help.

if not i guess this post remains valid for feature request...

lud
i guess what you want is hd spindown if you are playing the movie from elsewhere other than the hd (over network probably).

otherwise, you need the hd on if the movie is on the hd (at least that is what i think hehe).

sound right?

ts
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
hmm.. i'm actually looking at the code and it looks like it currently does that. if playing from the hd, it does not spindown. but otherwise, it does.

maybe there is a bug somewhere but look at this peice of code that disables spindown if the file being played is from the hd:

if ( cutil::ishd(m_strcurrentfile) )
{
m_bspindown=false;
}

check application.cpp if you are interested.

i have not tested so i can't be sure, but by just looking at the code, it looks like it should behave the way you want.

ts
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
hi tslayer,

i am glad that u're looking into that.

yes u're right what i am trying to get is :

hd to spin down while i am playing (movie, or mp3) streamed from pc.

this function is marvelously working on xbmp: automatically from the very 1st second of movie play (just after cache is being built, i believe).

for xbmc :
- if i leave the hd spindown time to zero in settings => the spinout will never happen. that's normal
- if i put it to 1mn : the spindown will happen only if nothing is played, i.e the spindown does not happen on its own after 1 mn of movie/mp3 playback.

in fact what be ideal is to have it (like in xbmp) happen from the very first second of movie/mp3 play not after 1mn.

the only solution i found (it's quite silly) is to start movie, pause it for 1mn, then hd spins down, then unpause movie : hd does not start again and i can watch the whole movie without noise.

for what regards to my looking into code, i am afraid i am far too uncompetent :-( i can build cvs and tell u (as an end user of the program) what works and what does not, but i have no experience in coding :-)
i see now what you meant, my bad. i think this feature makes sense (i also have a maxtor), but i've no idea what the technical feasability of implementation is. it would be nice, if everything possible to load into ram, was loaded into ram, and continually adjusted as memory was needed for other purposes, ie. loading extensions (cd ripper, etc.).
the harddrive should spin down when playing video/music of the dvd-rom drive too, ...i'm not sure how to find out if it does or not.

ps! it be great if spindown code could be intelligent enough to detect and spin-up again if media on hdd is next on a playlist
gamester17 : i just did some testing and i confirm you that spindown works when playing dvds ((video not game:-)). but again as for stremaing to get it working you have to :
- start playing
- pause the play
- wait for 1 mn (i.e you previously had set spindown time to 1mn in settings)
- hdd indeed spins down
- then you can unpause and watch your full dvd with no hdd noise

conclusion the whole spindown process works it 's just the way it's initiated by the program that is not well parametered.

there should be a way to force hdd to spin down automatically from 1st seconds when playing all supports that are not located on xbox hdd. xbmp was doing this on its own perfectly ! xbmc does it but only when play is paused...

i've looked into the application.ccp file as tslayer suggested and indeed it seems to be the right place, but frankly this is like chineese to me (apart a little of basic which i practiced 20 years ago and mostly forgot, i never did some programming) sorry guys !!!

tslayer : just a guess. i see approx. lign 1496 that there is a test but there is at the end twice the same answer "//not playing anymore, then spindown should b possible
m_bspindown=true."

see below i pasted the area. could this be it ?

//yes. can we do a spindown right now?
if (!m_bspindown)
{
// no. check if we're still playing
if (!m_pplayer)
{
//not playing anymore, then spindown should b possible
m_bspindown=true;
}
else if (!m_pplayer->isplaying())
{
//not playing anymore, then spindown should b possible
m_bspindown=true;

lud
hi to all,

thanks to yamp for reworking the code on this issue of 'hd spindown immediately after playback of data not on local xbox hd'. i've read in the bug.txt from sourceforge that this had been fixed.

i made my own build this morning 02.03.2004 and i am afraid that i still do not have what we need. i tried to play
- smb shares on my pc (divx mainly)
- dvd original ones from teh xbox dvd player

i could not get the hd to spin down on its own immediately after start of playback.

i tried with hd spinout time set to 0 and set to 1 mn as well and did not get anything better.

i cleared my udata and tdata as usual, this is cvs working as dash.

is there something to thick somewhere or is this meant to be working on its own ?

to be complete, i must confess that i miraculoursly got the hd to spin down on a dvd yesterday night but it happened only once and there's no way i get it working consistently.

this issue now has more become 'bug reporting' than 'feature suggestion' related if someone wishes to move this post maybe ?

i am really sorry to use everybody's time on this, but since we started trying to fix it we should get it right for once :-)
check again, cause i think its solved
maybe anon cvs was a bit slow and you didnt receive the latest changes made
frodo
XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal
ludo2
i'm sure you can access cvs ok
however anon cvs is sometimes lagging a couple of hours
so just wait and try again l8
frodo
XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal
moving to the bug discussion forum

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD spin down during video/MP3 playback of network0