XBMC Hardware
Hi,
I see a few other posts for people asking about suitable hardware suggestions. But we all seem to be asking for something different.

So last week, my XBMC on the XBOX original died. It ran daily for just over 7 years. Think I got a good bang for buck on that one.

The XBOX Original had a few limitations but was largely OK.

So for a new device, my requirements are:
XBMC Support
HDMI Support
Ethernet connectivity
High Definition file types supported
Relatively Cheap
Nice looking under the TV
Local storage, nice but not essential
Most media will be on UNC paths to a Windows Server, though this may change to a NAS at some stage
No need for TV Tuner cards, as I use a Topfield already
Compatible with a Logitech type remote control
Android might be interestesting
Netflix is something that sounds good, but I've never tried before

I have an ATV2, but unfortunately I'm unable to get an un-tethered jailbreak working on it. It would have been perfect.

Any input you have would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gareth
Get your ATV2 jailbroken properly.
Would love to jb the ATV2, have tried and tried. I cannot get the blobs I need, its on a version thats no longer being signed.
Under $100, OUYA. Over $100, NUC or other Celeron-based mini system. Celeron-based mini systems, which can be set up for around $150-200, are going to be the best bang for your buck and will be more stable than the ARM/Android based systems.

Raspberry Pi is surprisingly awesome for its price, but it is certainly in a lower category than OUYA. Hard to go wrong with a Pi, since you can always use it for 100 other things.

Everyone start chanting: NUC NUC NUC
(2013-11-06, 03:21)Ned Scott Wrote: Hard to go wrong with a Pi, since you can always use it for 100 other things.

Everyone start chanting: NUC NUC NUC

π π π
I'm in a similar circumstance. I am looking to make another HTPC. My primary concern is that it WORKS.

I've previously made a decent XBMC HTPC, with a budget of around $1000AUD (future-proof)... But it ended up getting re-purposed as my main PC. It was built roughly as follows:

Slick HTPC case, Blu-ray burner, AMD 3.2 Ghz quad core, 12gb of ram, GT440 video card, a Hauupage 2x DVB-T and an SSD with Ubuntu and XBMC.
I've had a few WD Green 2 & 3 TB drives in it, but to be honest, I've had failures and it's pretty devastating. Especially the 3TBs, which corrupted.. and 2TBs that have just outright failed.

I have a Raspberry Pi with Openelec, which is a fantastic little unit, but is ridiculously slow when navigating any decent library.

I am looking at any OOTB option, as I'd rather not build another PC (or because I'll want to demote my current PC back to HTPC and drop big $ on a new PC for me). It's not easy. It's info that I figured I'd find in the forums, but in reality it is a bit of a holy grail at the moment. I would love something like the Minix X7, but understand that it's not really ready. A lot of people are in the $100 price market, but I'm willing to be more flexible for features and reliability. There is currently no OOTB option with Tv tuners that I am aware of too. Am I the only person who wants a relatively hassle free, full featured XBMC setup at a VALUE price, not necessarily a cheap one?

I have been looking at Barebone PCs like the Minix HD or one of the Shuttle models, as they are small and low power, but may not be quite right for my purposes..

Obviously there are PI's for < $100 (which is fairly generous, multi-purpose and worked with my HDMI-CEC without any fuss)

There are plenty of Android boxes at $60 - $200, but XBMC is not fully hardware accelerated and not realistic for no-fuss just yet.

There are your Apple TVs etc.. but I don't think I could look at myself in the mirror if I gave Apple money.

Then you basically step up to a HTPC, custom PC build.. I am familiar with Linux and the process and have built a few computers, so I'm not to bothered with the idea, just wondering if there is a better (low power) option.

Ideally I think any XBMC machine should have dual tuners, blu ray, run from SSD, have wireless and have at least 2-4TB of working drives. Otherwise, the bare minimum for space and power consumption.
Have a look at OpenElec running on an Acer Revo RL80 or other Celeron based x86 solution. They are in the <$200 level now, and you can add USB DVB-T tuners and use TV Headend OOTB (I'm using a PCTV 290e for DVB-T2 in the UK) They also have useful stuff like Bluetooth, USB3, GigE etc. (And you can add an internal CIR receiver to the Revo for integrated IR remote control - again supported OOTB with OpenElec)

You would have to swap out the internal 500GB 2.5" HD for an SSD if that is important to you. Blu-ray is trickier - as you'd need to run Windows for full support I think? I rip my purchased Blu-rays on a Windows box, store them on a server (unRAID box) and use the Revo (over GigE) for playback.
(2013-11-06, 03:21)Ned Scott Wrote: Everyone start chanting: NUC NUC NUC

That with be the epitaph on the gravestone of many a fine system builder. Big Grin
I just looked at the new Haswell NUC at Amazon.com at a price of above $300. Now adding stuffs like memory, ssd, wifi card, mouse KB, etc... will boost the investment up to $400-500 easily so IMHO, NUC is in a very competitive pricing environment. So not every one is chanting NUC, NUC, NUC !!!
(2013-11-06, 16:52)husky55 Wrote: I just looked at the new Haswell NUC at Amazon.com at a price of above $300. Now adding stuffs like memory, ssd, wifi card, mouse KB, etc... will boost the investment up to $400-500 easily so IMHO, NUC is in a very competitive pricing environment. So not every one is chanting NUC, NUC, NUC !!!

I believe the chanting is really only for the Celeron NUC (which is ~$150). I'm sure the other NUCs are great... but yes.. not for everyone.
Pretty much every thread here the answer is NUC. This place is one big NUCfest now.

NUC NUC NUC

BARF!

Big Grin
OUYA is functional for me, as many switch from ATV to OUYA then eventually go to a cheap computer PC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Hardware0