Raspbmc - Subtitle continue playing when video lags
I'm a Raspbmc user and notice with 30-Oct NB that when video lags (my raspbmc has other programs running and sometimes it lags a little) the subtitles continue to play so when video stops lags there's a delay between video and subtitle.

What I do to "fix" its jump back and jump forward but sometimes even when jump back it lags too and sub and video gets out of sync. I keep jump back forward until no lags.

The problem here is not the lag, but the sync between video and sub. Maybe there's only a resync of subs when jump back/forward. Pausing didn't work.

I can't confirm this hasn't happened before. But its hard to reproduce as my RPI don't lag often.
Yes, I have seen this as well on my bedroom Pi where I use a wi-fi bridge and it is quite annoying.
Lags only occur on big 1080 mkv´s but it is fairly easy for me to reproduce it, so if anyone want any logs let me know.

I set the following in advancedsettings.xml, it will be slower to start and jump in videos, but it helped me with this problem:
Code:
<advancedsettings>

<network>
    <alwaysforcebuffer>1</alwaysforcebuffer>
    <cachemembuffersize>104857600</cachemembuffersize>
    <readbufferfactor>4.0</readbufferfactor>
  </network>

</advancedsettings>

Note that the buffer size is quite big, but it works good for me.

Edit: I am almost 100% certain that I saw this prior to Oct 30 nightly...
Mine is wired. Playing 1080p videos also. My lag is not network but high cpu usage from others programs
Mine is also wired (using a Airport express as bridge) and I it seems like the same issue.
However you might be right: buffer settings workaround might not help you since the lag is caused by high CPU... but it might be worth a shot.
What type of sub (text based or graphical)?
Can you post a log of when this happens.
I will get a log + mediainfo when I get home tonight. I cannot remember if it was internal subs or external .srt (in any case most certainly text files and not graphical).

Edit: @fernandovg
The workaround (which might not be a valid workaround for you anyway) I believe only work in Gotham (but I am uncertain about the Frodo backport).
Mine is Gothan and .srt (external)
I had to disable the force buffer, but could reproduce this quite easily.
I opened movie.mkv, skipped twice (20 minutes) and got lags almsot immediately, but subtitles kept going and therefor un-syncing.
Kept it playing for a couple of minutes and got more lags and subtitles got more un-synced.

Mediainfo
xbmc.log
popcornmix, any news on this ?
Thanks!
(2013-11-14, 19:39)fernandovg Wrote: popcornmix, any news on this ?

Not yet. I'll try to look into it this weekend.
It happens to me. Video freezes and subtitles keep playing.
I've tested this on Gotham, with a file with external srt, and I'm copying a file (over nfs) whilst playing a video, and that causes the video to underrun and stutter.
subtitles keep in sync with the audio.

@fernandovg - are you sure you've seen this fail with a recent Gotham build?
I will check with a new NB and let you know
I tried with the last available build (Nov-13) in Raspbmc but It didnt play my videos.
See whats happens:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/y5919ddlpmmlfr9/5e9BBnGMu0

With 30-Oct it plays ok.

I contacted Sam about no new NB available and Im waiting so I can test it.
It happens on latest frodo release.

I just updated to latest nightly and so far no problems.

But with this nightly I have one weird problem. If i seek, it shows all lines of the subtitle at the same time.

Sorry for my bad english.

EDIT: exactly like fernando video!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspbmc - Subtitle continue playing when video lags0