• 17(current)
New Harmony Smart Control Remote
(2014-12-18, 01:02)myst4ry Wrote: Question for NUC owners:

Do you use the default off settings? (It just puts the device to sleep for me) Sometimes when I wake, I just get a black screened xbmc and must ctrl + alt + delete to kill process, for everything to work.

Do you just leave your NUC on permanently maybe? Would that cost a lot $ per year? Can it cause laggy playback when rarely shutting down?

If you leave it on permanently, you must change power settings to never sleep right?

I changed mine to power off and on. Works nicely with the intel NUC as it can wakeup from total shutdown.
(2014-12-18, 04:17)suku_patel_22 Wrote: I have edited the switch off commands, and send STOP & DVDMENU for the power command. This stops whatever I am praying and puts XBMC in the home screen.

ah that's smart, so you just leave your NUC permanently on yea? Or does it have an automatic sleep timer?

(2014-12-18, 11:39)zag Wrote:
(2014-12-18, 01:02)myst4ry Wrote: Question for NUC owners:

Do you use the default off settings? (It just puts the device to sleep for me) Sometimes when I wake, I just get a black screened xbmc and must ctrl + alt + delete to kill process, for everything to work.

Do you just leave your NUC on permanently maybe? Would that cost a lot $ per year? Can it cause laggy playback when rarely shutting down?

If you leave it on permanently, you must change power settings to never sleep right?

I changed mine to power off and on. Works nicely with the intel NUC as it can wakeup from total shutdown.

Is that just the 'Powertoggle' for both power on and off? (Using the logitech harmony software).
(2014-12-18, 12:28)myst4ry Wrote:
(2014-12-18, 04:17)suku_patel_22 Wrote: I have edited the switch off commands, and send STOP & DVDMENU for the power command. This stops whatever I am praying and puts XBMC in the home screen.

ah that's smart, so you just leave your NUC permanently on yea? Or does it have an automatic sleep timer?

I have XBMC to sleep automatically. All stock settings there. NUC keeps running, I have subsonic on it, hence cant have it switched off, in case wantt o stream something. Also have some or the other torrents downloading or seeding stuff. So basically, NUC sleeps when it gets time on its own Smile
I got this remote as a Christmas present and I have to say its the best remote I have ever used. It really makes it feel as though I upgraded my entire home theater. The response time is instantaneous. I cannot recommend it enough.

Tip:
When I set up the activity for Kodi I added two devices. An MCE Remote and an MCE keyboard. This way I can select normal remote commands or add keyboard presses (like "T" to toggle subtitles).

Thank you OP for creating this thread. This remote wasn't on my radar and it makes me extremely happy. Logitech seems to have solved every problem introduced by its other remotes. It is absolutely perfect.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
So whats the device I should setup to get the fastest response times? No matter what I choose, it's always slower than my Harmony 600 and even that was already slow (one of my reasons to upgrade to the Smart Control was to reduce the lag...). I also tested "Microsoft Media Center Extender" as adviced in the first post, no luck there. What are your delay/command repeat settings?

Maybe I should try using the bluetooth feature (I would have to buy a dongle first though, so I can't test it right now)? Or might my IR receiver be the problem, are there differences in how often the receiver can receive commands?

Thanks!
Having a shit time with repeat keys. I've tried to adjust the settings but with no luck. I am using a flirc if that is of any help. Anybody else experience this issue and get it worked out?
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2014-12-28, 13:14)anteevy Wrote: So whats the device I should setup to get the fastest response times? No matter what I choose, it's always slower than my Harmony 600 and even that was already slow (one of my reasons to upgrade to the Smart Control was to reduce the lag...). I also tested "Microsoft Media Center Extender" as adviced in the first post, no luck there. What are your delay/command repeat settings?

Maybe I should try using the bluetooth feature (I would have to buy a dongle first though, so I can't test it right now)? Or might my IR receiver be the problem, are there differences in how often the receiver can receive commands?

Thanks!
bluetooth will net you the fastest response times. bonus points for not needing line of sight.

(2014-12-29, 00:43)bry- Wrote: Having a shit time with repeat keys. I've tried to adjust the settings but with no luck. I am using a flirc if that is of any help. Anybody else experience this issue and get it worked out?
what kind of issues with repeat keys? i still have my flirc connected to fall back to in case i ever have bluetooth issues (haven't in months), just tested and keys repeat just fine for me. that said, one thing about the flirc is there are a bunch of different firmware versions floating around. i personally haven't updated mine in forever. i think it's still on 0.94 or something like that.
(2014-12-29, 18:57)furii Wrote:
(2014-12-29, 00:43)bry- Wrote: Having a shit time with repeat keys. I've tried to adjust the settings but with no luck. I am using a flirc if that is of any help. Anybody else experience this issue and get it worked out?
what kind of issues with repeat keys? i still have my flirc connected to fall back to in case i ever have bluetooth issues (haven't in months), just tested and keys repeat just fine for me. that said, one thing about the flirc is there are a bunch of different firmware versions floating around. i personally haven't updated mine in forever. i think it's still on 0.94 or something like that.

i'll check the fw again - its inconsistent. It's like it gets stuck in a holding pattern. I arrow left or right and the remote will send the command 20x before it stops. some times its like playing a slot machine and hoping that it will activate on the right option. attempt to correct and go left and it will go another 20-30x left.

some times its only 2-3 jumps. sometimes it never stops.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
I just picked up an Asus Chromebox (latest OPENELEC standalone) and a Logitech Harmony Smart Control (basic remote and hub) which I bought to replace my aging Asrock ION 330 setup with an HP MCE USB IR receiver.

I initially set everything up using my old harmony remote and the IR receiver, it works perfect. But now I want to utilize the new remote with only the bluetooth so that I can move the other setup to another room. I have the remote paired (created a windows computer device in harmony) and can control Kodi, but as you know, I have lost a lot of buttons and things don't work quite the way I want them to.

I am really trying to wrap my head around the whole keymap thing and ages ago when I was setting up the ION, I remember a lot of headaches getting things "just right". I have found a few helpful posts on the forums and by googling but just cannot get things mapped right.

Can someone maybe post their keymap example and I could go from there?

This is what I want the remote to do:

Remote button = action I want to perform
Media playback buttons all standard = no change
D-pad and OK buttons = no change
Record button = subtitles
Red button = (unknown for now)
Green button = (unknown for now)
Yellow button = Update library
Blue button = Mark as watched
DVR button = (unknown for now)
Guide button = Context menu/bring up codec info during playback
Info button = Info
Exit button = shutdown menu
Menu button = Previous menu
Channel up button = page up
channel down button = page down
prev button (arrow under pagedown) = parent directory

Cheers and Happy New Year!!!

Edit: Got it sorted, will post my findings later. No time now, it is 2015!
Hi, I was wondering if I could get some advice. I am pretty much convinced to get this remote, but I am not sure whether to get a UBS IR Receiver or a Flirc.

My current setup is I have an HTPC running Windows 7 hooked up to my HDTV through a Denon A/V Reciever. Right now I use a Logitech Wireless keyboard that came with a USB dongle, I'm pretty sure its not an IR receiver, I'm not really sure what protocol it uses, but here is a link to it:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-...h+keyboard

But anyway I use the keyboard to wake the PC then I use an Xbox 360 controller to navigate through XBMC and some other things I have on my HTPC like Steam and HyperSpin, and then once im done I use the keyboard to put the HTPC back to sleep.

My main problem is its very annoying to have to pull out the keyboard just to wake up the PC, especially at times when all I want to do is use XBMC, so that is what got me started looking for a remote. So needless to say being able to wake the PC from sleep is a requirement. Putting it to sleep would be nice but its not a requirement because I can always set Windows to do that automatically after so much time. Plus I kind of wanted a universal remote anyway to get rid of the 4 or 5 remotes I have laying around right now, so this remote seems to be the solution.

So back to my original question, I have never even heard of Flirc until I found this thread, but I'm not sure if there is any advantage to using that over a MCE IR dongle or if one is harder to setup than the other. With Flirc do you have to manually map all the buttons if you are using it with the Harmony Smart Control or do you still just set it up in the Harmony as "Microsoft Media Center Extender" and then you're good to go? Another thing is it seems like its a hit or miss with these MCE IR dongles so I'm not sure which one to get to make sure everything works how its supposed to and from what I can tell they go for about the same price on Amazon as the Flirc does.

Basically I just want whatever is easiest to setup that will still allow me to wake the PC from sleep and still have all the same functionality inside XBMC that I do now using a 360 Controller.

Any help would be appreciated.
The keyboard uses RF. using harmony, you can either use Bluetooth or IR. i am not sure if your pc supports wakeup via IR.
hmm is there any way to tell short of getting an IR Receiver? this is the motherboard that I have in my HTPC:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A88X-ITX+/index.us.asp
Actually now that I think about it I have tried a MCE IR remote on the HTPC and it was able to wake it so that isn't an issue. I ended up giving the remote to my brother which is why I dont have it now, but anyway the original question still remains. Is it easier to just get a MCE IR Receiver or does a Flirc have some advantage to it? Is one faster than the other or easier to setup than the other?
Well since its pretty easy to return stuff on amazon I think I'm just going to get this MCE remote/IR Receiver combo because this one actually says RC6 compliant on the specs so it seems like a safe bet:
http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RRC-126-I...ql_qh_dp_t

and if it doesn't work i will just return it and try the Flirc thing

I wish I could just buy the Receiver at a cheaper price since I have no use for the remote that it comes with, but oh well
(2015-01-05, 09:02)Alex1180 Wrote: Hi, I was wondering if I could get some advice. I am pretty much convinced to get this remote, but I am not sure whether to get a UBS IR Receiver or a Flirc.

My current setup is I have an HTPC running Windows 7 hooked up to my HDTV through a Denon A/V Reciever. Right now I use a Logitech Wireless keyboard that came with a USB dongle, I'm pretty sure its not an IR receiver, I'm not really sure what protocol it uses, but here is a link to it:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-...h+keyboard

But anyway I use the keyboard to wake the PC then I use an Xbox 360 controller to navigate through XBMC and some other things I have on my HTPC like Steam and HyperSpin, and then once im done I use the keyboard to put the HTPC back to sleep.

My main problem is its very annoying to have to pull out the keyboard just to wake up the PC, especially at times when all I want to do is use XBMC, so that is what got me started looking for a remote. So needless to say being able to wake the PC from sleep is a requirement. Putting it to sleep would be nice but its not a requirement because I can always set Windows to do that automatically after so much time. Plus I kind of wanted a universal remote anyway to get rid of the 4 or 5 remotes I have laying around right now, so this remote seems to be the solution.

So back to my original question, I have never even heard of Flirc until I found this thread, but I'm not sure if there is any advantage to using that over a MCE IR dongle or if one is harder to setup than the other. With Flirc do you have to manually map all the buttons if you are using it with the Harmony Smart Control or do you still just set it up in the Harmony as "Microsoft Media Center Extender" and then you're good to go? Another thing is it seems like its a hit or miss with these MCE IR dongles so I'm not sure which one to get to make sure everything works how its supposed to and from what I can tell they go for about the same price on Amazon as the Flirc does.

Basically I just want whatever is easiest to setup that will still allow me to wake the PC from sleep and still have all the same functionality inside XBMC that I do now using a 360 Controller.

Any help would be appreciated.

There is a Flirc-profile in the Harmony database that contains most useful functions. You may want finetune it according to your own needs. I use the Harmony Smart Control with a Flirc USB dongle and I'm very satisfied. It's stable, speedy and without discernable lag.

I don't know if it will wake up your pc - I guess it depends on whether your BIOS/UEFI allows waking up by USB keyboard. (The Flirc acts as if it's a regular keyboard to the USB controller.) Myself, I don't use the remote to wake up the pc, since my pc is standing right next to my TV which has a hardware power switch that I have to press manually anyway.

Edit: If your Logitech K400 keyboard can wake up your pc, then the Flirc should be able to do the same!
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Harmony Smart Control Remote1