• 22(current)
New Harmony Smart Control Remote
(2015-06-22, 23:15)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-06-22, 22:41)piteur Wrote: One of the very last update brings support for a few extra keys in BT mode : F1 to F12. Still not a full key table support (why god, why ??) but better than nothing if you miss some keys.

And a quick feedback after switching from IR (first with a harmony one then with a harmony ultimate without hub) to BT control : I'll never go back to IR control :-) No more annoyance with key latency / repeat :-)

I just set up a HSC for a friend yesterday, and there was no difference in key latency or repeat rate with IR vs BT on a ChromeBox - the only difference was that the BT keyboard was missing lots of functions, couldn't learn any that weren't pre-programmed, and had intermittent connectivity issues between the hub and the box. IR worked flawlessly OOTB, needing only one key remapped in the Harmony software (dvdmenu to menu button)

I've never experienced IR being as fast as bluetooth/IP control. Can you please elaborate on which IR receiver you are using, which harmony device profile you used, and any settings you changed?
(2015-06-23, 01:37)touser Wrote:
(2015-06-22, 23:15)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-06-22, 22:41)piteur Wrote: One of the very last update brings support for a few extra keys in BT mode : F1 to F12. Still not a full key table support (why god, why ??) but better than nothing if you miss some keys.

And a quick feedback after switching from IR (first with a harmony one then with a harmony ultimate without hub) to BT control : I'll never go back to IR control :-) No more annoyance with key latency / repeat :-)

I just set up a HSC for a friend yesterday, and there was no difference in key latency or repeat rate with IR vs BT on a ChromeBox - the only difference was that the BT keyboard was missing lots of functions, couldn't learn any that weren't pre-programmed, and had intermittent connectivity issues between the hub and the box. IR worked flawlessly OOTB, needing only one key remapped in the Harmony software (dvdmenu to menu button)

I've never experienced IR being as fast as bluetooth/IP control. Can you please elaborate on which IR receiver you are using, which harmony device profile you used, and any settings you changed?

i agree. using BT with the harmony on the chromebox is a million times better than the Flirc that i'm currently using.

which is what i came to post about originally.

i'm running OpenElec on my chromebox and had been using the bluetooth for months. after resetting Openelec i needed to repair again. no matter what i try this fucking Harmony will no longer pair to the chromebox via Bluetooth. it seemed like an update to the hub must have broken things from reading the harmony forums, but logitich claims that is not the case.

i get a bluetooth error everytime i try to connect. no idea why i've paired this remote countless times in the past with no problem.
(2015-06-23, 01:37)touser Wrote: I've never experienced IR being as fast as bluetooth/IP control. Can you please elaborate on which IR receiver you are using, which harmony device profile you used, and any settings you changed?

HP MCE IR receiver (one of the ones listed on the ChromeBox wiki)
Microsoft Media Center Extender
no delay-related settings changed
Hub blasts IR to receiver

(2015-06-23, 02:04)knives of ice Wrote: i agree. using BT with the harmony on the chromebox is a million times better than the Flirc that i'm currently using.

i'm running OpenElec on my chromebox and had been using the bluetooth for months. after resetting Openelec i needed to repair again. no matter what i try this fucking Harmony will no longer pair to the chromebox via Bluetooth. it seemed like an update to the hub must have broken things from reading the harmony forums, but logitich claims that is not the case.

i get a bluetooth error everytime i try to connect. no idea why i've paired this remote countless times in the past with no problem.

The first thing the hub did when I plugged it into the PC was update the firmware, so I assume it's on the latest as well. What kind of device the hub appears as to the PC (ChromeBox) is dependent on what device profile is used: Programming it as a Windows PC results in the hub appearing as a Logitech/Harmony Keyboard; programming it as a Sony PS3 results in it appearing as a BD remote control.

Pairing with the ChromeBox was a pain, took several tries, and the smartphone app kept telling me it wasn't paired even though OE showed it was paired/connected. So I said F it and went back to the MCE profile/IR, which worked perfectly. I'm not sure if the key latency is quite as low as the PS3 remote (I didn't test them back to back), but its worlds better than both the Harmony 650 and Harmony One.
(2015-06-23, 02:11)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-06-23, 01:37)touser Wrote: I've never experienced IR being as fast as bluetooth/IP control. Can you please elaborate on which IR receiver you are using, which harmony device profile you used, and any settings you changed?

HP MCE IR receiver (one of the ones listed on the ChromeBox wiki)
Microsoft Media Center Extender
no delay-related settings changed
Hub blasts IR to receiver

(2015-06-23, 02:04)knives of ice Wrote: i agree. using BT with the harmony on the chromebox is a million times better than the Flirc that i'm currently using.

The first thing the hub did when I plugged it into the PC was update the firmware, so I assume it's on the latest as well. What kind of device the hub appears as to the PC (ChromeBox) is dependent on what device profile is used: Programming it as a Windows PC results in the hub appearing as a Logitech/Harmony Keyboard; programming it as a Sony PS3 results in it appearing as a BD remote control.

Pairing with the ChromeBox was a pain, took several tries, and the smartphone app kept telling me it wasn't paired even though OE showed it was paired/connected. So I said F it and went back to the MCE profile/IR, which worked perfectly. I'm not sure if the key latency is quite as low as the PS3 remote (I didn't test them back to back), but its worlds better than both the Harmony 650 and Harmony One.

matt, is there anything that could have happened to my chromebox for me to have problems pairing with bluetooth? all i did was set my openelec to factory settings. i just tried to pair my phone as well and couldn't get it paired. i'm really stumped and i've done this so many times in the past with no problem
(2015-06-23, 02:23)knives of ice Wrote: matt, is there anything that could have happened to my chromebox for me to have problems pairing with bluetooth? all i did was set my openelec to factory settings. i just tried to pair my phone as well and couldn't get it paired. i'm really stumped and i've done this so many times in the past with no problem

I wouldn't think so, not if you did a hard reset. Occasionally I've had devices not connect on the first try, and have to delete them before reconnecting (trust & connect) otherwise it doesn't work
@oHUTCHYo

Ok, i found some time for a little tuto.
But again i think you shouldn't go that way. Editing Lircmap.xml and/or remote.xml are the way to do this properly.

Here are some info about this :

http://kodi.wiki/view/LIRC
http://kodi.wiki/view/Keymap
http://kodi.wiki/view/Action_IDs

But if you want to do it the hard way here we go.

Basically we will disable eventlircd which catch ultimately the button press and revert to ir-keytable instead.
We will need to create or customize the keytable which translate each button press to a key name.
We will create a startup script for killing eventlircd and load that table.

You will need to know each scancodes of each button (short and long press) of your remote (chances are that the standard scancodes will be the same).
it's completely dependant of the device you choosed in the harmony app even if most of the mce emulated devices share IMO the same scancodes.
What it means is if you change the device in the hamony app, it won't work anymore if the scancodes of the new device are different.

So let's do this.

Copy rc6_mce from /usr/lib/udev/rc_keymaps to /usr/config/rc_keymaps (if rc_keymaps doesn't exist create it before).

Open rc6_mce in notepad++ (not notepad !). This file handle the keytables for mce devices. Keep only the scancodes under # table rc6_mce, type: RC6 NEC.
Remove all the other entries beginning at #xbox360 remote.

ssh
Code:
killall eventlircd

then

Code:
ir-keytable -t

Now you can test the remote buttons (Ctrl+X to exit)

Press the button of you remotes and compare the scancodes generated with the ones in rc6_mce.
For example press 0 and check if the scancode generated is 0x800f0400 (which is the one in rc6_mce).
If it's not, replace it by the one of your remote.
Do this for all short press and all long press.

Now you have a table matching your remote.

Now the "fun" part is to modify in this table the key names associated to the scancodes.
For a change to apply, you have to save the file and ssh

Code:
ir-keytable -c -w /etc/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce -p RC6,LIRC

It will clear the actual table and load the new one.

Let's say you want the scancode binded to KEY_NUMERIC_2 to generate a "C" instead of a "two", just replace KEY_NUMERIC_2 by KEY_C.
Doing so you are replacing ultimately which Kodi actions the button will generate.
But as i said not all keyboard key press are mapable. You have to check if they work. For instance KEY_END doesn't work.
To check if a KEY_xxx generates an action under Kodi enable debug logging and open the Log (in /storage/.kodi/temp). It's written in plain text.

Here is a list of the keys you can try

Code:
KEY_0
KEY_102ND
KEY_10CHANNELSDOWN
KEY_10CHANNELSUP
KEY_1
KEY_2
KEY_3
KEY_4
KEY_5
KEY_6
KEY_7
KEY_8
KEY_9
KEY_A
KEY_AB
KEY_ADDRESSBOOK
KEY_AGAIN
KEY_ALTERASE
KEY_ANGLE
KEY_APOSTROPHE
KEY_ARCHIVE
KEY_AUDIO
KEY_AUX
KEY_B
KEY_BACK
KEY_BACKSLASH
KEY_BACKSPACE
KEY_BASSBOOST
KEY_BATTERY
KEY_BLUE
KEY_BLUETOOTH
KEY_BOOKMARKS
KEY_BREAK
KEY_BRIGHTNESS_CYCLE
KEY_BRIGHTNESSDOWN
KEY_BRIGHTNESSUP
KEY_BRIGHTNESS_ZERO
KEY_BRL_DOT10
KEY_BRL_DOT1
KEY_BRL_DOT2
KEY_BRL_DOT3
KEY_BRL_DOT4
KEY_BRL_DOT5
KEY_BRL_DOT6
KEY_BRL_DOT7
KEY_BRL_DOT8
KEY_BRL_DOT9
KEY_C
KEY_CALC
KEY_CALENDAR
KEY_CAMERA
KEY_CANCEL
KEY_CAPSLOCK
KEY_CD
KEY_CHANNEL
KEY_CHANNELDOWN
KEY_CHANNELUP
KEY_CHAT
KEY_CLEAR
KEY_CLOSE
KEY_CLOSECD
KEY_COFFEE
KEY_COMMA
KEY_COMPOSE
KEY_COMPUTER
KEY_CONFIG
KEY_CONNECT
KEY_CONTEXT_MENU
KEY_COPY
KEY_CUT
KEY_CYCLEWINDOWS
KEY_D
KEY_DASHBOARD
KEY_DATABASE
KEY_DEL_EOL
KEY_DEL_EOS
KEY_DELETE
KEY_DELETEFILE
KEY_DEL_LINE
KEY_DIGITS
KEY_DIRECTION
KEY_DIRECTORY
KEY_DISPLAY_OFF
KEY_DISPLAYTOGGLE
KEY_DOCUMENTS
KEY_DOLLAR
KEY_DOT
KEY_DOWN
KEY_DVD
KEY_E
KEY_EDIT
KEY_EDITOR
KEY_EJECTCD
KEY_EJECTCLOSECD
KEY_EMAIL
KEY_END
KEY_ENTER
KEY_EPG
KEY_EQUAL
KEY_ESC
KEY_EURO
KEY_EXIT
KEY_F10
KEY_F11
KEY_F12
KEY_F13
KEY_F14
KEY_F15
KEY_F1
KEY_F16
KEY_F17
KEY_F18
KEY_F19
KEY_F20
KEY_F21
KEY_F22
KEY_F23
KEY_F24
KEY_F2
KEY_F
KEY_F3
KEY_F4
KEY_F5
KEY_F6
KEY_F7
KEY_F8
KEY_F9
KEY_FASTFORWARD
KEY_FAVORITES
KEY_FILE
KEY_FINANCE
KEY_FIND
KEY_FIRST
KEY_FN
KEY_FN_1
KEY_FN_2
KEY_FN_B
KEY_FN_D
KEY_FN_E
KEY_FN_ESC
KEY_FN_F
KEY_FN_F10
KEY_FN_F1
KEY_FN_F11
KEY_FN_F12
KEY_FN_F2
KEY_FN_F3
KEY_FN_F4
KEY_FN_F5
KEY_FN_F6
KEY_FN_F7
KEY_FN_F8
KEY_FN_F9
KEY_FN_S
KEY_FORWARD
KEY_FORWARDMAIL
KEY_FRAMEBACK
KEY_FRAMEFORWARD
KEY_FRONT
KEY_G
KEY_GAMES
KEY_GOTO
KEY_GRAPHICSEDITOR
KEY_GRAVE
KEY_GREEN
KEY_H
KEY_HANGEUL
KEY_HANJA
KEY_HELP
KEY_HENKAN
KEY_HIRAGANA
KEY_HOME
KEY_HOMEPAGE
KEY_HP
KEY_I
KEY_INFO
KEY_INSERT
KEY_INS_LINE
KEY_ISO
KEY_J
KEY_K
KEY_KATAKANA
KEY_KATAKANAHIRAGANA
KEY_KBDILLUMDOWN
KEY_KBDILLUMTOGGLE
KEY_KBDILLUMUP
KEY_KEYBOARD
KEY_KP0
KEY_KP1
KEY_KP2
KEY_KP3
KEY_KP4
KEY_KP5
KEY_KP6
KEY_KP7
KEY_KP8
KEY_KP9
KEY_KPASTERISK
KEY_KPCOMMA
KEY_KPDOT
KEY_KPENTER
KEY_KPEQUAL
KEY_KPJPCOMMA
KEY_KPLEFTPAREN
KEY_KPMINUS
KEY_KPPLUS
KEY_KPPLUSMINUS
KEY_KPRIGHTPAREN
KEY_KPSLASH
KEY_L
KEY_LANGUAGE
KEY_LAST
KEY_LEFT
KEY_LEFTALT
KEY_LEFTBRACE
KEY_LEFTCTRL
KEY_LEFTMETA
KEY_LEFTSHIFT
KEY_LINEFEED
KEY_LIST
KEY_LOGOFF
KEY_M
KEY_MACRO
KEY_MAIL
KEY_MAX
KEY_MEDIA
KEY_MEDIA_REPEAT
KEY_MEMO
KEY_MENU
KEY_MESSENGER
KEY_MHP
KEY_MINUS
KEY_MODE
KEY_MOVE
KEY_MP3
KEY_MSDOS
KEY_MUHENKAN
KEY_MUTE
KEY_N
KEY_NEW
KEY_NEWS
KEY_NEXT
KEY_NEXTSONG
KEY_NUMERIC_0
KEY_NUMERIC_1
KEY_NUMERIC_2
KEY_NUMERIC_3
KEY_NUMERIC_4
KEY_NUMERIC_5
KEY_NUMERIC_6
KEY_NUMERIC_7
KEY_NUMERIC_8
KEY_NUMERIC_9
KEY_NUMERIC_POUND
KEY_NUMERIC_STAR
KEY_NUMLOCK
KEY_O
KEY_OK
KEY_OPEN
KEY_OPTION
KEY_P
KEY_PAGEDOWN
KEY_PAGEUP
KEY_PASTE
KEY_PAUSE
KEY_PAUSECD
KEY_PC
KEY_PHONE
KEY_PLAY
KEY_PLAYCD
KEY_PLAYER
KEY_PLAYPAUSE
KEY_POWER
KEY_POWER2
KEY_PRESENTATION
KEY_PREVIOUS
KEY_PREVIOUSSONG
KEY_PRINT
KEY_PROG1
KEY_PROG2
KEY_PROG3
KEY_PROG4
KEY_PROGRAM
KEY_PROPS
KEY_PVR
KEY_Q
KEY_QUESTION
KEY_R
KEY_RADIO
KEY_RECORD
KEY_RED
KEY_REDO
KEY_REFRESH
KEY_REPLY
KEY_RESERVED
KEY_RESTART
KEY_REWIND
KEY_RFKILL
KEY_RIGHT
KEY_RIGHTALT
KEY_RIGHTBRACE
KEY_RIGHTCTRL
KEY_RIGHTMETA
KEY_RIGHTSHIFT
KEY_RO
KEY_S
KEY_SAT
KEY_SAT2
KEY_SAVE
KEY_SCALE
KEY_SCREEN
KEY_SCROLLDOWN
KEY_SCROLLLOCK
KEY_SCROLLUP
KEY_SEARCH
KEY_SELECT
KEY_SEMICOLON
KEY_SEND
KEY_SENDFILE
KEY_SETUP
KEY_SHOP
KEY_SHUFFLE
KEY_SLASH
KEY_SLEEP
KEY_SLOW
KEY_SOUND
KEY_SPACE
KEY_SPELLCHECK
KEY_SPORT
KEY_SPREADSHEET
KEY_STOP
KEY_STOPCD
KEY_SUBTITLE
KEY_SUSPEND
KEY_SWITCHVIDEOMODE
KEY_SYSRQ
KEY_T
KEY_TAB
KEY_TAPE
KEY_TEEN
KEY_TEXT
KEY_TIME
KEY_TITLE
KEY_TUNER
KEY_TV
KEY_TV2
KEY_TWEN
KEY_U
KEY_UNDO
KEY_UNKNOWN
KEY_UP
KEY_UWB
KEY_V
KEY_VCR
KEY_VCR2
KEY_VENDOR
KEY_VIDEO
KEY_VIDEO_NEXT
KEY_VIDEOPHONE
KEY_VIDEO_PREV
KEY_VOICEMAIL
KEY_VOLUMEDOWN
KEY_VOLUMEUP
KEY_W
KEY_WAKEUP
KEY_WIMAX
KEY_WLAN
KEY_WORDPROCESSOR
KEY_WWW
KEY_X
KEY_XFER
KEY_Y
KEY_YELLOW
KEY_YEN
KEY_Z
KEY_ZENKAKUHANKAKU
KEY_ZOOM
KEY_ZOOMIN
KEY_ZOOMOUT
KEY_ZOOMRESET
BTN_0
BTN_1
BTN_2
BTN_3
BTN_4
BTN_5
BTN_6
BTN_7
BTN_8
BTN_9
BTN_A
BTN_B
BTN_BACK
BTN_BASE
BTN_BASE2
BTN_BASE3
BTN_BASE4
BTN_BASE5
BTN_BASE6
BTN_C
BTN_DEAD
BTN_DIGI
BTN_EXTRA
BTN_FORWARD
BTN_GAMEPAD
BTN_GEAR_DOWN
BTN_GEAR_UP
BTN_JOYSTICK
BTN_LEFT
BTN_MIDDLE
BTN_MISC
BTN_MODE
BTN_MOUSE
BTN_PINKIE
BTN_RIGHT
BTN_SELECT
BTN_SIDE
BTN_START
BTN_STYLUS
BTN_STYLUS2
BTN_TASK
BTN_THUMB
BTN_THUMB2
BTN_THUMBL
BTN_THUMBR
BTN_TL
BTN_TL2
BTN_TOOL_AIRBRUSH
BTN_TOOL_BRUSH
BTN_TOOL_DOUBLETAP
BTN_TOOL_FINGER
BTN_TOOL_LENS
BTN_TOOL_MOUSE
BTN_TOOL_PEN
BTN_TOOL_PENCIL
BTN_TOOL_QUADTAP
BTN_TOOL_RUBBER
BTN_TOOL_TRIPLETAP
BTN_TOP
BTN_TOP2
BTN_TOUCH
BTN_TR
BTN_TR2
BTN_TRIGGER
BTN_WHEEL
BTN_X
BTN_Y
BTN_Z

Once you're done, just create an autostart.sh script in /storage/.config with these lines

(
killall eventlircd;
ir-keytable -c -w /etc/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce -p RC6,LIRC;
) &

That's it.
I always encountered that problem with IR control on a windows pc but I guess it depends on the receiver model and some other stuff. Anyway, good to know IR works fine with some boxes !
Just bought the Logitech smart control. Price is now about $99 which is good value.
Overall I'm very happy. The RF is the real draw here...no more aiming the remote and crossing your fingers. With a proper set up it's flawless.
VERY slight lag compared to the original MCE remote but nowhere near as bad all the other Harmony remotes once the delays are tweaked.

Highly recommended.
Just got this remote working with bluetooth, much faster response timing then RF. If anyone need a guide i already made on
Defcon, can you please post? I currently have it set up on a Chromebox running OE, but find I have to hit a button multiple times the first time I use it, to wake up the BT connection I suppose, then it works flawlessly.
(2015-09-17, 18:09)IIIdefconIII Wrote: Just got this remote working with bluetooth, much faster response timing then RF. If anyone need a guide i already made on

Yeah please send me the guide too. However I have the Harmony Ultimate remote.
+1 for the walkthrough please!
Looks like Defcon has gone MiA. Still waiting for the guide!!
Defcon's guide is here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=239190
pulling my hair out with this remote, i have a RPi2 with a logitech bluetooth dongle in it. remote works to control Kodi, some commands arent what i would like but thats all fixable with a custom keymap... what im having issues with is the number pad does not work and it appears the remote isnt even sending button presses as there is nothing shown when i try to map them... does anyone have one of these remotes working with bluetooth, and has working number pad? what device did you use to get it going and can you shed any light as to what is going on with this thing before i pack it up and return it.
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
  • 22(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Harmony Smart Control Remote1