Best Streaming Media Player for XBMC?
Hi guys, new to the forums. So I know you guys probably get asked this alot, but what is the best streaming meadia player for xbmc? I currently have xbmc running on my samsung galaxy s4, ipad2 & google nexus 7, but I want a standalone player for my tv. I dont want to spend much (<$50) since ill be using it solely for just xbmc. Any suggestions?

thanks in advance.
Less than $50,...wow,...if you or anyone else finds that device,...let me know.
While I don't think it exists,...I think it is coming at sometime in the future.
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

Unless you can get something used (really, really used), the only thing that comes to mind for under $50 is a Raspberry Pi. And in order to keep the total system price under that ceiling, you'll need to already have most/all of the peripherals (SD card, input device, power supply, HDMI cable, optional USB flash drive).
^^^ good point artrafael,....Raspb Pi is the solution,....but as you clearly stated,...people often forget to factor in the cost of "all the other stuff" that's needed.
Suddenly you find yourself spending 2 or 3x the amount you originally intended to spend.
After shipping and with a include 8 gig SD card I got a raspberry Pi for 48$. I already had a hdmi cable, a charger from a broken phone and a remote and receiver. I still had to pay an extra 12 dollars for a case and shipping, so even with most of the items I still came out over 50 for a really slow box.
I built a LEGO case, so I just had to pay for the RPi itself to get started. Smile
lol that's awesome artrafael.. No but ur right, I do have most of the components I need for rasp pi. So what's the best sites where I should get from? Thanks for the replies guys.. Really appreciate it.
I bought mine from one of the vendors on Amazon for $42, which includes "free" shipping.
(2013-11-07, 03:27)artrafael Wrote: I bought mine from one of the vendors on Amazon for $42, which includes "free" shipping.

I had read some of the amazon vendors where selling counterfeit raspberry PIs.No sure how that's possible but , that's why I ordered from Newark which is what the raspberry pi website suggest. There shipping times are still terrible. I got the unit with the sd card only because I would of had to wait a month to get the one without. And the one that came with a sd card was only 5 dollars more. So I guess either newark or amazon from a high rated seller.
Mine arrived in a week. Seems to be the genuine article. It came in a raspberry-colored plastic box that looks like it could be a soap dish for travel. It's a Revision 2, so the board supports a header for a reset switch.
mk808 - android stick(http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?u...ords=mk808) - it has its issues(hd not at the moment) but you can watch netflix on it too. You need a remote really but you could usedroidmote server (https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...rver&hl=en)

They seem cheaper here in the uk.
@xsamxiamx

The Best and Cheapest? get a Roku 2XS used ($50).....even a Roku 2 of anykind...... Now I know people are wondering.... Roku Does NOT run XBMC, Does it?

No it does not, but here is what it does do: It runs 1Channel, IceFilms, Navi X and You Tube and alot of other plugins thrugh Plex Media Server.... which is FREE

And it works Amazingly! better than what I experienced with XBMC. The HD looks better and you have control over it.

I bought two Roku 2 XS for $50 each! used of course. but man do I love them.... Just download PLEX for Roku in the Channel Store, then Download Plex Media Server for Mac, Windows or Ubuntu...which ever you have..... and then add the Unsupported App Store to PLEX..... now start adding the Plugins you wanted that you use on XBMC.

Now leave the server running and open Plex on your Roku.....Whalla! freakin awesomeness! I think I wont be using XBMC that much anymore.... PLEX just streams everything around the house FREE and my Mac acts as the Server.

P.S. a Brand New Roku LT costs $49.99 and should be good enough also. Comes with Remoteand easy as heck to set up.
(2013-11-07, 06:01)calev Wrote:
(2013-11-07, 03:27)artrafael Wrote: I bought mine from one of the vendors on Amazon for $42, which includes "free" shipping.

I had read some of the amazon vendors where selling counterfeit raspberry PIs.No sure how that's possible but , that's why I ordered from Newark which is what the raspberry pi website suggest. There shipping times are still terrible. I got the unit with the sd card only because I would of had to wait a month to get the one without. And the one that came with a sd card was only 5 dollars more. So I guess either newark or amazon from a high rated seller.

not really clones but Chinese versions red pcb's that have no fce rating and outside of china and india their not legal to be purchased. Otherwise they can be found on ebay with case for around 30-35 but no warranty and who knows about quality control?.

Don't know what people mean by 3x the price. i was all in for 65 bucks when all said and done. Too be safe just buy the pi with psu adapter from newark, the adrafruit psu. Then look around at what you got at hand first, but say buck stores for hdmi or micro usb cables. Or dx.com or ebay for 5 dollar remotes 5-10 dollar wifi, 1 dollar cables etc. fasttech.com for cheap cases heatsinks etc gpio remotes/ir can be found there too. I bought 16gb sd cards clearing out for 2 bucks at staples for example. Things can be found cheap if you try. But I guess things are priced different in different parts of the world
(2013-11-07, 22:14)VJxbmc Wrote: @xsamxiamx

The Best and Cheapest? get a Roku 2XS used ($50).....even a Roku 2 of anykind...... Now I know people are wondering.... Roku Does NOT run XBMC, Does it?

No it does not, but here is what it does do: It runs 1Channel, IceFilms, Navi X and You Tube and alot of other plugins thrugh Plex Media Server.... which is FREE

And it works Amazingly! better than what I experienced with XBMC. The HD looks better and you have control over it.

I bought two Roku 2 XS for $50 each! used of course. but man do I love them.... Just download PLEX for Roku in the Channel Store, then Download Plex Media Server for Mac, Windows or Ubuntu...which ever you have..... and then add the Unsupported App Store to PLEX..... now start adding the Plugins you wanted that you use on XBMC.

Now leave the server running and open Plex on your Roku.....Whalla! freakin awesomeness! I think I wont be using XBMC that much anymore.... PLEX just streams everything around the house FREE and my Mac acts as the Server.

P.S. a Brand New Roku LT costs $49.99 and should be good enough also. Comes with Remoteand easy as heck to set up.

Thanks for this... I was wondering how to put XBMC on Roku but you made it pretty simple... 1Channel, IceFilms and Navi-X is pretty much what XBMC is all about!!... I will get one this Black Friday!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Streaming Media Player for XBMC?1