• 1(current)
New Kickstarter project XBMC Set top box
Hi everyone we have just launched a kickstarter campaign for an Android powered set top box and will be doing a bunch of work on XBMC I would love to hear your feedback

http://kck.st/1bY18bB

Specs
Snapdragon 600 Chipset (APQ8064)
1.7 GHz Quad Core Krait CPU
Adreno 320 GPU Full
1080p HD video decoding
HDME-CEC
1.4 HDMI Connection
HDMI Passthrough
16 GB storage
2 GB Ram
Micro SD Expansion Slot
Dual Band WiFi b/g/n/ac
Miracast Capability
Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 Port
Optical Audio
1 x USB 3 Port
3 x USB 2 Ports
Bluetooth 4.0
iR Receiver
HD Audio Support Dolby & DTS
Founder of the Qubi Console
Looks good to me. I'll probably add one to my collection for testing Smile
The remote looks really cool would be cool if it can be bought separately from the box to use it on an exiting XBMC media centers. I already have a HTC so I am currently not interested in the box I will recommended it to some of my friends. To replays my current HTC in the future with this box it should also have a PVR DVB-S2 option.
You should be able to get that remote from other suppliers - i've seen it bundled with a variety of android boxes. I think I've got details of it somewhere - i'll dig it out tomorrow.
(2013-11-06, 22:58)dr88dr88 Wrote: The remote looks really cool would be cool if it can be bought separately from the box to use it on an exiting XBMC media centers. I already have a HTC so I am currently not interested in the box I will recommended it to some of my friends. To replays my current HTC in the future with this box it should also have a PVR DVB-S2 option.

We were wanting to release it as a remote only however due to the different ways Android boxes receive the commands it was impossible. For example on some devices the Home button wouldn't work on others back wouldn't work so we decided to bite the bullet run a Kickstarter and hopefully make our dream a reality.

(2013-11-06, 23:13)prae5 Wrote: You should be able to get that remote from other suppliers - i've seen it bundled with a variety of android boxes. I think I've got details of it somewhere - i'll dig it out tomorrow.

Hi prae5, We can gaurantee our remote is unique. It is from the same manufacturer as the Vizio remote which is why it would look familiar. However the Vizio remote and any similar remotes have a 2.4 g side and an infrared side which is programable. Ours is preprogrammed 2.4g on both sides and also backlit.
very nice. I'll prob get one if, when they come out. will this be sold on amazon? expected price?
really like the skin. are there any existing skins out there that are similar or that this was based off? seems similar to an ouya in some ways and specs but much nicer gui interface...
(2013-11-07, 02:17)bigdogeh Wrote: very nice. I'll prob get one if, when they come out. will this be sold on amazon? expected price?
really like the skin. are there any existing skins out there that are similar or that this was based off? seems similar to an ouya in some ways and specs but much nicer gui interface...

Hi, hopefully we get the support!!
If the product comes to market it will definitely be available through Amazon. Pricing will be $149-$159
The Skin has been worked on with Marcos Qui and is a modified version of ACE.
Hey

This look very interesting. I hope you will include HDMI-CEC support, and that LiveTV will be possible to add, can't live without my Argus-tv pvr plugin :-). Then you will have a buyer.
Looks pretty slick definitely a cut above the usual android boxes.

You might want to specify what it does for the AV geeks if they are part of your target market, like what hardware decoding it provides (MPEG-2, VC-1, H.264 etc.) and up to what bitrates, plus if it supports bitstreaming audio like Dolby, DTS, TrueHD, DTS-MA.
(2013-11-07, 10:09)rantzauer Wrote: Hey

This look very interesting. I hope you will include HDMI-CEC support, and that LiveTV will be possible to add, can't live without my Argus-tv pvr plugin :-). Then you will have a buyer.

Live TV is abit difficult as each region has different standards however we are in the process of investigating HDMI pass through

(2013-11-07, 12:25)Starstream Wrote: Looks pretty slick definitely a cut above the usual android boxes.

You might want to specify what it does for the AV geeks if they are part of your target market, like what hardware decoding it provides (MPEG-2, VC-1, H.264 etc.) and up to what bitrates, plus if it supports bitstreaming audio like Dolby, DTS, TrueHD, DTS-MA.

Hi Starstream thanks for the advice I will add this info.
Looks nice, and the kickstarter page has improved since the last time someone posted a link to it (was in preview mode). Best of luck!
(2013-11-07, 15:41)Ned Scott Wrote: Looks nice, and the kickstarter page has improved since the last time someone posted a link to it (was in preview mode). Best of luck!

Thanks heaps Ned.
(2013-11-06, 20:29)Sam@Qubi Wrote: Hi everyone we have just launched a kickstarter campaign for an Android powered set top box and will be doing a bunch of work on XBMC I would love to hear your feedback
I think that to validate you marketing this as a consolidation device then you just have to add the option for the buyer to simply install an internal harddrive. Preferably spaace for a 3.5-inch SATA harddrive for at a very cheap price add massive amount of storage if you want.

In my humble opionion the best thing would be for you to then also add full NAS storage capabilities for network sharing, with a web interface for configuring SMB shares and a BitTorrent client, and accessing your files remotley over the internet in any webbrowser, similar to all the features that Iomega TV with Boxee had, but much better since you will use XBMC

http://www.whathifi.com/review/iomega-tv-with-boxee
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8rQdZIkLNlw
http://www.iomega.com/support/manuals/me.../main.html

Otherwise you have to connect an external USB-harddrive or a NAS or other network storage to play local files that you have downloaded, which might not be simple for your parents, grandparents, or sister.
If not support for built-in harddrive or some other cool functions, like TV-tuner support, then this just sounds like another Android media player with no unique features.
Doesn't the generally accepted definition of a "set-top box" require the inclusion of an integrated TV-tuner? Well, at least according to Wikipedia, or?

I would have thought that without a real TV-tuner option it would only met the definition of "digital media player", "digital media streamer", or "digital media renderer"?

In any case suggest you quickly change the term on your Kickstarter to "Smart TV media player" o
r something else other than "set-top box" to not confuse too many people.
Good idea, I would love to find more media players with XBMC built into it. I have a sister in Ireland who would love this, but right now its a pain in the butt to buy some generic android media player, have it shipped to the USA, configure it, then re-ship it to Ireland. Finding something off ebay.co.uk or ebay.ie with XBMC pre-installed would be ideal.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Kickstarter project XBMC Set top box1