HPTC First time build
Video 
Hi All,
This is my first post ever on HTPC on any site, pardon me if i am duplicating/posting silly Qs.
I am planning on building my own movie server PC - ala - HTPC/NAS combo. Not sure if it's a good idea to have both in one, any advice appreciated.

My requirements for an HTPC -

--- Store about 250 movies (My personal DVDs, Blu-ray discs) - Average size of each about 8 GB (with MakeMKV). That takes the total to about 2 TB for movies. The collection is bound to grow, i am anticipating another 2 TB over the next 2 years. Total of about 4 TB.
--- Family videos, pictures - 100 GB and growing (My kid is 2 yrs old, so the obvious).
--- Store and play our music collection.
--- Watch Netflix, little browsing (if needed)
--- Rip my DVD/BLURAY collection by running makeMKV software.
--- Store my personal documents.
--- RAIDHuh (Need more understanding on how to setup and should i do it?)
--- Stream movies to my 47'' LG TV thru DLNA.

I was thinking below specs and add 4 3TB WD Red hard drives and 64GB SSD for OS? Please let me know what you guys think about the below. All suggestions are appreciated. Holiday comin' up and am excited to look for deals.

Computer case
Fractal Design Node 304 FD-CA-NODE-304-BL Black Aluminum / Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case
Power Supply
Rosewill CAPSTONE-450-M 450W Continuous @ 50°C, Intel Haswell Ready, 80 PLUS GOLD, ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92, SLI/CrossFire Ready, Modular Active PFC Power Supply
CPU
Intel Core i3-3225 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard
ASRock H77M-ITX LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
Memory
G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage
Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
4 X Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive

The total comes to around $1025.42.
Not sure I would put all those hard disks in a HTPC but I guess its nice to have just one solution.

Personally I have a cheap ssd based htpc that streams off my NAS.
Your power supply is overkill. You won't be able to achieve the 80PLUS Gold rating because you'll be under 20% of load most of the time (< 90W). But I can see it's probably the cheapest modular PSU you can find right now and it's well rated. Just know it will be pretty inefficient. Efficiency below 20% of load is not defined by 80PLUS. If you don't need modular, 300W is more than enough, e.g.: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817151086

I'd also look at the ASUS P8H77-I motherboard since it has 6 x SATA. That'll leave you one SATA port open for the future.
Thanks Zag and Dougie for the replies.

Dougie, I made the update of the PSU in my component list based off of your suggestion. Thanks for that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HPTC First time build0