Disturbing Twitter Post
... perfectly clear ... ... ...
Can't really blame people for not wanting to stop using something that they used to be allowed to use, which so happened to be free, open source, and free to use/modify/share... just cause Mikey1234 decided to be corrupt. The signs where there when he tried to force people to stop using SuperRepo by forbidding use to his and other people's addons if they even have one installed... enabled or not. He clearly wanted to get rid of all previous copies around the web... which is nearly impossible and completely nonsense to try. It seems like he even still finds joy out of committing attacks on end-users, as well as trying to confuse them and lie to not just end-users but the different groups and sites around the community to try and further pit them against one another. I for one find that distasteful and goes against being part of such a nice open community which for the most part could at times be prided on for being so decent to one another and not having to worry left and right what is and is not safe to use. They want to use duplicate addon IDs, and commit to acts of so-called piracy, while blaming end-users and devs for such things that they originally attacked. Not to mention, I wouldn't even want an email addy not alone account info to be anywhere Mikey and his followers could get a hold of. The fake spam mails that only went out to some (not to me) should show that, not alone his checkered past, whining about money, and taking his personal fued(s) out on parties un-related.

I wish I could say that things actually were safe, but by a dev's standpoint that obviously aint 100% true. What makes things worse is that since script.module's and the such don't actually show up on repo lists (maybe xbmc devs can look into that), it's harder to get them installed when they don't want to automatically install. It seems that might be in part due to python's being updated while some modules haven't been updated in quite a while and/or possibity of #.# digit usage instead of #.#.# in version #'s, not really sure on all that. I, for one, have been trying hard to keep an extra way provided for people to catch their common modules. Though, they could also set an ftp location as a source similar to fusion and catch toss a collection of whatever common modules and addons they like in it to get at them that way.

I think a lot if not most of us have been plenty ready to be over with this whole mikey thing and having to watch our backs left and right due to them. I don't know why they don't goto a non-free device to do stuff for similar to xbmc if they want to get so greedy, and leave us alone at last. XBMC surely ain't going away and XBMCHub will be there for a long time to come. SuperRepo is always nice to find additoinal stuff and I sure don't see it going away either, just cause "someone" wants us to.

Just remember to watch who emails actually come from before you click links in them. Use what you yourself see that you can trust and want to enjoy. Never let yourselves fall into the pit of being controlled by the disturbed every whim of a dev with an agenda. Remember python scripting is open source and easy to find syntax instructions for, making it an easy language to learn to code/script in. Regardless of the loss of some devs or not, there's always room for more devs around the net to show their own skills and potential. For private use, or public sharing, it's never a bad thing to continue learning... that's simply life.
Why anyone would use a XBMC build from anywhere other than xbmc.org is beyond me. I wouldn't install Windows from thepiratebay, actually I wouldn't install any software from any website that isn't the official one.

The above is a bad comparison but I think my point is in there, somewhere.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
some like pre-installed packages, or a bootable copy... other than that, idk.
(2013-11-09, 15:53)Piers Wrote: Why anyone would use a XBMC build from anywhere other than xbmc.org is beyond me. I wouldn't install Windows from thepiratebay, actually I wouldn't install any software from any website that isn't the official one.

It's a terrible comparison tbh - I think you're confused about what's actually happening.
I run 'official' builds from raspbmc and openelec on pi and pc. I've used one of kermonine's non-neon android builds on my tab. I'm using test builds on my pi from rbej and various others; I've messed with test openelec builds by various people at openelec on my pc.
Oh yes, and I have frodo 12.2 on my windows pc.
None of those apart from the last are 'official xbmc builds from xbmc.org.' And yet I don't see a problem with any of them (apart from various bits that don't work on the test builds!).
All of this fuss is about third-party add-on sites - they don't release their own xbmc builds.

And mostly people use those add-on sites because they want add-ons that aren't available at xbmc.org - that's pretty straightforward.
(2013-11-09, 17:27)trogggy Wrote:
(2013-11-09, 15:53)Piers Wrote: Why anyone would use a XBMC build from anywhere other than xbmc.org is beyond me. I wouldn't install Windows from thepiratebay, actually I wouldn't install any software from any website that isn't the official one.

------

All of this fuss is about third-party add-on sites - they don't release their own xbmc builds.

yes they do.

i could name couple of examples of other sites that release their own build which include certain addons by default you can't get rid of except the hard way
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
The two sites that have been at the centre of the recent shitstorm certainly don't. If there's a fuss here about other sites it's passed me by. Do you mean Xaf builds (if they're even being made still)?

Edit: Anyway my point is that there are plenty of good reasons to be using builds that aren't 'official xbmc builds from xbmc.org'.
Hell, my xboxes wouldn't be working so well if I came here to look for a build!
Even if they're not currently pushing out their own build versions, they're pushing things like "wizards" that take over a lot of things, like replacing skin files, replacing other add-ons (xbmc log uploader, for example), and so on. The average newbie doesn't seem to know they can just install specific video add-ons and/or repositories. They don't have to push out their own build anymore, they can just use a wizard add-on to morph your existing version however they want. They don't even provide an easy way to undo the changes, and it pretty much requires nuking the userdata folder (to get XBMC to regenerate various defaults, etc).
You certainly are correct - it was a terrible comparison. The message I was trying to get accross was basically what you've just written. 'virgin' XBMC builds are fine - I previously used Android builds before any were available on here, the same goes for other versions but they came from places that had a good reputation. Again the above is probably poorly written - need my coffee.

Edit: the post above is a further example of what I was trying to say -

* Piers leaves thread now.

(2013-11-09, 17:27)trogggy Wrote:

It's a terrible comparison tbh - I think you're confused about what's actually happening.
I run 'official' builds from raspbmc and openelec on pi and pc. I've used one of kermonine's non-neon android builds on my tab. I'm using test builds on my pi from rbej and various others; I've messed with test openelec builds by various people at openelec on my pc.
Oh yes, and I have frodo 12.2 on my windows pc.
None of those apart from the last are 'official xbmc builds from xbmc.org.' And yet I don't see a problem with any of them (apart from various bits that don't work on the test builds!).

And mostly people use those add-on sites because they want add-ons that aren't available at xbmc.org - that's pretty straightforward.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
@HIGHWAY99

Change the record! You are becoming tedious! You clearly have major issues with Mikey, anyone would think he'd killed a member of your family. So he wants to make a few quid, big deal!

(I'm still waiting for you to acknowledge that code you "borrowed" from me)
(2013-11-09, 18:29)Ned Scott Wrote: Even if they're not currently pushing out their own build versions, they're pushing things like "wizards" that take over a lot of things, like replacing skin files, replacing other add-ons (xbmc log uploader, for example), and so on. The average newbie doesn't seem to know they can just install specific video add-ons and/or repositories. They don't have to push out their own build anymore, they can just use a wizard add-on to morph your existing version however they want. They don't even provide an easy way to undo the changes, and it pretty much requires nuking the userdata folder (to get XBMC to regenerate various defaults, etc).
I think Piers and I are on the same page, I'm not making a case for wizards, maintenance plug-ins or anything of the kind - I hate the idea of them. The only point I was making was that xbmc.org isn't the only place to get a build from.
Fair point :)

OpenELEC, Crystalbuntu/Raspbmc and GeeXbox, are three that come to mind.
(2013-11-09, 18:40)spoyser Wrote: @HIGHWAY99

Change the record! You are becoming tedious! You clearly have major issues with Mikey, anyone would think he'd killed a member of your family. So he wants to make a few quid, big deal!

(I'm still waiting for you to acknowledge that code you "borrowed" from me)

is there a place where I can keep track of all this drama behind the scenes? Not saying you shouldnt have beef, but more along the lines of if I donate, I want to make sure I donate to someone contributing to the community.

This is pretty much my thoughts on the whole ad thing. I dont think these developers get that once this stops being a hobby and becomes a profit generating venture, you now have customers. As a customer, I demand that your product work and when it is not, I want an immediate fix, not when you get to it. If Sam Nazarko says his schedule is too hectic for him to monitor crystalbuntu or raspbmc like he should, I have to just take it as is because he does this as a hobby and only asks for donations. However, I have watched a support thread for Mashup not get any help or answers on their support site for a few days. That is unacceptable when I am forced to watch ads (put on my xbmc without my permission) that pays them for upkeep on these addons.

It is no different to me when playon went to a monthly fee structure or the idea of the plexpass. Once this stops being a hobby, you must now deal with customer service.
Theater: The PS4/XBONE killer running Kodi 17.3 3D Movie Box: Raspberry Pi running LibreElec 8.0 Alpha BROKEN Family Room: "A6-Pack" running Kodi 17.3 Whole House: FireTV running Kodi 17.3
If you want to donate, do it at xbmc.org only.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-11-10, 00:41)nickr Wrote: If you want to donate, do it at xbmc.org only.

And why would that be?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Disturbing Twitter Post0