Linux Periodic video stutter
Hi.

I've had this problem for some time now, give or take 4 months, and it's apparently not going away with updates.
I've tried updating the best i can, using apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, and i can see there is something being updated, but i does not fix my problem.

It doesn't matter what kind of video i watch, i get a stutter occasionally.
This can happen once a hour, maybe 3, or the video can run without problems for 2 hours.
This occurs when i'm watching m3u8 streams, avi, mp4, mkv whatever, the error is the same.

The video kind of stops, and takes the next frames really choppy, REALLY choppy, and then when it's done stuttering, the video catches up with a couple of seconds with really fast frames.
After that, the video looks fine.
The audio is not affected at all.

Running XBMCbuntu, 12.2 frodo.

If anymore info is needed, let me know.
I would have loved to record this, but as i don't know when it's going to happen, i can't.
Kodi is the best HTPC software i know.
I've been using it since Dharma<3

Debug Log
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Going to upload a logfile of a 3 hour movie playtime, that should be enough.
Thanks.

Upgrade to v13 - we have rewritten Audio Engine, that should alone help, including the new readbufferfactor advancedsetting, the network should be buffered better.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@fritsch

Do you need to add any setting in Linux to use active AE or is it used automatically now?

Also excellent job on AE recode and fixes you're a massive brainiac along with fernet, any plans on global domination? Wink
AcitveAE is default already in gotham
I'm running shared database, so i would have to update all clients, and i'm not keen on doing that since gotham is not final yet.

i had to split my logfile up.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=82653
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=82654

could anyone help me?

This sounds like the same weird behavior I've been seeing with XBMC Eden running on my 1st Gen AppleTVs getting the share from my 2012 Mac Mini running 10.9.2 Mavericks (it did it with Mountain Lion using SMBuP which is a Samba3 replacement for Apple's SMB2 which Eden doesn't like. 12.3 Frodo works fine with SMB2, but I'd have to use a USB stick running Linux to get Frodo on my 1st Gen ATVs which I really didn't want to have to do. In any case, I thought SBM was the issue and switched to NFS. The problem went away for like over 6 months and now it's reappeared again. I'm thinking maybe there's a corrupt file or database overflow or something weird happening over time since it went away for so long and suddenly came back and yet only happens occasionally. But when I switched to NFS, it created new shares for those directories and reloaded all the Meta data, etc. That seems to indicate that something got better by recreating the database files. I do get occasional XBMC crashes on AppleTV so it's possible that's when the corruption (if there is any) happened.

I'm also not sure that what you're experiencing is the same thing, but it kind of sounds like it. It will either freeze here (like someone hit pause) or it will freeze but the sound will stutter. It will then either clear itself (usually only on stutter ones) or keep sitting there until I press Play/Pause on the remote one time at which point it will continue playing like nothing happened. It did seem to get worse and worse with the SMB setup until the point where it wouldn't clear by pressing play/pause so if something is corrupt, it apparently can get worse. Beyond that, I have no idea. I don't remember this ever happening when I had my Leopard PPC server in place instead before the end of 2012.
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
I did not see an error in your provided logfile.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Periodic video stutter0