Where is java interpreter
I've got a small java utility which I'd like to run, but attempts to run it are frustrated by the fact that I can't seem to find the java interpretor (aka JRE, I think).

interrogating the environment, I discover no java env. variables. OK, my java knowledge is limited, but I am fairly certain there should be something pointing to the java installation ?

-xbmc:~$ set | grep -i java
xbmc:~$

I'm using an unmodified (standard installation) of XBMCBuntu 12.2

Any help appreciated.
You need to google how to install java on Ubunutu, as this is a Linux question, not an XBMC question.
I was under the impression that OpenJDK was a default part of XBMCBuntu, which then means - I presume - that this is a XBMC question. If not, please explain.
Java is never installed by default on any *buntu version that I'm aware of. You will need to specifically install the package, then it'll run just fine (no ENV settings required).
Java is required in XBMC at compiling level (Linux at least) but after that no, not used and not required.
Easily installable.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jre-headless. Remove the "-headless" part if you need to run graphical Java applications.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Where is java interpreter0