Ethical XBMC: Addon Abandonment and Re-Release?
It's an ethical issue I'm facing, how long after an addon is broken and not updated by the original author should it be considered abandonned and open to be released in another repository once fixed by a new programmer?

It seems like this has become an issue, and I find it kind of crazy when more than one repository has the same addon in it, the file name of the addon itself should at least be changed to prevent breakage as far as I'm concerned, it's more about the use of the code and the support for the particular destination I'm wondering about.
great ?uestion...

i would like to hear other opinions on this -- especially authors of current addons.

personally, i think if there hasn't been any activity to an addon after 6 months, i would consider it abandoned, and open to (re)releasing.
Linux Mint 18 LTS 64-bit - Kodi 17 Beta6
Odroid-C2 - Libreelec v7.90.009
There is no ethical question to it. If someone releases an add-on using an open source license then you can make your own version whenever you want. If the author did not want people doing that then they would have not chosen to use an open source license.

There might be an etiquette question. It might be polite to attempt to collaborate with someone before making a fork, but sometimes the point of a fork is to take things in a totally different direction, or to expirment with a new feature. Posting a fix to a bug right away typically isn't seen as rude in the open source world, though. It's one of the benefits of open source.
It seems to me that you first try and contact the author. If there's no response through various avenues, then fair enough to take it on if you have the time to do so. Obviously with a bumped version and with clear attribution to the previous author as appropriate.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

My opinion is that if the addon has had no work completed within a one month period and functionality is broken then it's okay to fork. Having said that if it's OS then ... as Ned said.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
Side question, should the addon filename be kept the changed or should it be kept the same?

Keeping it the same would effictively mean hijacking future updates to that addon from the original author.
Hmm. Choosing a different name is probably the right thing to do. While code is open source, an identity is not always "open". For example: Firefox and Iceweasel.
That's what I thought, perhaps something should be added to the Wiki about this kind of etiquette to try to avoid addon hijacking in the future.
iirc it has something on the wiki.
Try to contact author. After a reasonable amount of time you can request to update the plugin with your own patches provided that you always mention the original author in the headers.
I'd say keep the same ID for the plugin so everyone who has it will also get a fixed version.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
My only concern is what happens if two developers can't agree over who should maintain the particular addon at question and decide to use the same file name?
I have 1 addon, I'm not an expert, so take the following with that in mind.

I would much rather be one of two contributors to my addon, than the sole author on something nobody uses. That said, I would be pissed off if I was 90% the way through a complete refactoring of the code and someone releases my old version with a few tweaks.

The etiquette is fairly straight-forward, a reasonable attempt should be made to contact the author. Multiple emails and PMs, posting to issue tracker on Github, comments in the release or WIP thread, and a new post declaring your intent to take over the project would cover all bases, and would be as much as any author could expect of a potential code "usurper".

As for whether the name should change, wouldnt you want it to stay the same for user recognition? Zoidberg addon could become Zoidberg Redux addon.

A related issue is what moral ownership a person has to an idea. For instance, if you see someone working on something, and like the idea, would etiquette dictate that you contact them to offer assistance before copying their idea and trying to "beat them to market"?
(2013-11-11, 08:32)Eleazar Coding Wrote: My only concern is what happens if two developers can't agree over who should maintain the particular addon at question and decide to use the same file name?

i'd say if you are working on it and author hasn't responded post in the thread or where ever the first come first serve will come into affect.

start to post in the thread letting others know you are working on it.
other than that it's up to the community. Do know we won't allow two of the same addons in repo to avoid any user confusion.
If you might decide to use a different ID we should mark the other ID as abandoned and point to the new on.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
In true geek mode the new version of addon would be addon-tng Smile

We shouldn't rush in though ... devs often get busy with school/paying work/kids/life/holidays. If I were clever enough to develop an addon, I'd hate to come back from an idyllic month in Rarotonga (believe me the internet is the only bad thing about that place!) to find my addon completely usurped and forked. Although the beauty of it is I can port all the forker's good bits back into my code, because I forced the forker into that with the GPL. Return of the addon-tos Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Quote:Rarotonga (believe me the internet is the only bad thing about that place!)

I dunno, paying international fees to get cash out of the Westpac or ANZ is a bit rough :p
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Yeah that too maybe.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ethical XBMC: Addon Abandonment and Re-Release?0