Automatic launching of Kodi after login does not work on macOS Catalina
Hello everyone,

I tried to look for an answer for this on the forum (and generally on the internet), but alas could not find any.

Context: my HTPC is a Late 2012 Mac Mini, it's been recently reinstalled with Catalina and currently runs the latest: 10.15.5. Kodi is version 18.7.

I wanted to use it as an HTPC appliance, so I enabled automatic login for the kodi user, which works correctly. However, no matter how I try to set Kodi to launch automatically after logon, it does not start (checking the autostart menu item on the Dock, or adding Kodi to the login items in System Settings). The icon bounces once and nothing happens afterwards.

Kodi itself does work properly, it's only the autostart after login which I miss (I've already done the usual security workarounds: enable the application to run etc.).

TBH, I suspect this is a macOS "security feature" in Catalina for some 3rd party apps. Brave (the browser) is also installed on this Mac and behaves exactly the same way: no matter what I do, it does not launch automatically after login.

Does anyone experienced the same problem? If yes, any clues what the solutions could be?

Cheers
Ok, I guess I've found the solution, in case someone also has this problem:

sudo chown kodi /Applications/{Kodi,Brave}

Now both can start automatically after logging in.

I suppose Catalina did not like that these folders were owned by another user: my normal account, with which I had installed them. The "kodi" user on my system did not have administrative rights to install anything.
(2020-06-10, 13:35)adorjanig Wrote: Ok, I guess I've found the solution, in case someone also has this problem:

sudo chown kodi /Applications/{Kodi,Brave}

Now both can start automatically after logging in.

I suppose Catalina did not like that these folders were owned by another user: my normal account, with which I had installed them. The "kodi" user on my system did not have administrative rights to install anything.
Can you tell me if you had any problems getting Kodi itself to work originally? I have downloaded the latest version: it installs, loads, starts to run, then just freezes & then shuts down. Am at a loss!
(2020-06-16, 14:29)marcla Wrote: Can you tell me if you had any problems getting Kodi itself to work originally? I have downloaded the latest version: it installs, loads, starts to run, then just freezes & then shuts down. Am at a loss!
Yes, I could start to use it without any problems. The issue was the automatic startup after login, but never using it. I've installed several addons, set up the skin, weather for my location, started to use the infrared Apple remote etc. etc.
(2020-06-16, 14:44)adorjanig Wrote:
(2020-06-16, 14:29)marcla Wrote: Can you tell me if you had any problems getting Kodi itself to work originally? I have downloaded the latest version: it installs, loads, starts to run, then just freezes & then shuts down. Am at a loss!
Yes, I could start to use it without any problems. The issue was the automatic startup after login, but never using it. I've installed several addons, set up the skin, weather for my location, started to use the infrared Apple remote etc. etc.
So... nothing special in the download/install routine? I had the same problem with 18.5 & hoped 18.7 might be different... but, not so!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Automatic launching of Kodi after login does not work on macOS Catalina0