OpenElec IR remote control issues please help
Someone on the OpenElec chat just stated "lircd is obsolete. not maintained. and should not be used"

So least I know its eventlircd I need to be looking in to now, that's a start I guess.
OK I have fully documented my issue on my blog HERE. With screen shots, photos and a YouTube video showing the problems.

Thanks
(2013-11-12, 20:59)cw-kid Wrote: Someone on the OpenElec chat just stated "lircd is obsolete. not maintained. and should not be used"

So least I know its eventlircd I need to be looking in to now, that's a start I guess.

Thats too bad and just one more reason not to use openelec.

I hope the XBMC devs dont go this route without a replacement thats just as good or better.

IMO Lirc is a fantastic tool for any IR remote in xbmc.

Lirc really does put the power in the users hands to FULLY customize IR remotes.
(2013-11-14, 04:24)FishOil Wrote: Thats too bad and just one more reason not to use openelec.

I hope the XBMC devs dont go this route without a replacement thats just as good or better.

IMO Lirc is a fantastic tool for any IR remote in xbmc.

Lirc really does put the power in the users hands to FULLY customize IR remotes.

Hi FishOil

I am new-ish to XBMC and I know in Ubuntu Minimal I had the same problem with the "Double Presses' as I am now seeing in OpenElec.

I don't know much about LIRC and how to set it up properly, but in Ubuntu Minimal I had to un-install LIRC and only use IR-Keytable and the in kernel drivers / modules, also editing an imon_mce keymap file in etc/rc-keymap and also tweaking the XBMC keyboard,xml file, I managed to get a working MCE remote control setup.

But I am lost again now with OpenElec why are IR remote so difficult to setup and why do I always seem to have this double press / bouncing issue ?

As for eventlircd this is new to me never heard of it, I was told it was a combination or LIRC and the in kernel drivers or something like that.

Cheers
I have just discovered something.

If I press the Guide button on the remote control really quickly it works OK and the Context Menu is brought up on screen and stays there.

However if I press the Guide button in a normal manner the Context Menu is brought up on screen and then immediately disappears again as shown in my Youtube video here.

So is it some kind of timing issue ?

Other buttons affected are buttons like Play / Pause / Info as well..

Thanks
I wonder if two modules are conflicting and both capturing the remote control presses?

Here are the modules that are currently running:

OpenELEC:~ # lsmod|grep imon
rc_imon_pad 1477 0
imon 18514 1
rc_core 10522 3 imon,rc_imon_pad

Thanks
You can actually see the difference between a normal button press and a quick button press in IRW !

OpenELEC:~ # irw
16d 0 KEY_EPG devinput
16d 0 KEY_EPG_UP devinput
16d 0 KEY_EPG devinput

6c 0 KEY_DOWN devinput
6c 0 KEY_DOWN_UP devinput
16d 0 KEY_EPG devinput

The section in red colour above is the guide button being pressed in a normal manner, you can see its repeated twice.

The section in blue colour is the guide button being pressed very quickly, you can see there is only one output in IRW.

EDIT:

3.33 <remoterepeat>
This used to adjust the amount of time in milliseconds between repeated keystrokes. Used to prevent key-bounce, in other words prevents xbmc (lirc?) seeing one key press as multiple key presses with certain remotes.

I just tried adding a <remoterepeat>10000</remoterepeat> in the advancedsettings.xml file but it has no affect.

Adding <remotedelay>10000</remotedelay> also has no affect.

EDIT2:

Changing / Increasing the ir-keytable delays seems to have no affect either

OpenELEC:~ # ir-keytable
Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event3) with:
Driver imon, table rc-imon-pad
Supported protocols: RC-6 other
Enabled protocols: RC-6
Repeat delay = 1000 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
OpenELEC:~ # ir-keytable -D 10000 -P 10000
Repeat delay = 1000 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
Changed Repeat delay to 10000 ms and repeat period to 10000 ms
I have it working now..

I have had this double pressing / bouncing issue twice now, once in Ubuntu Minimal 12.10 with lirc and now in OpenElec 3.2.3 with eventlircd.

From terminal if I run: killall eventlircd

This then enables ir-keytable -t to work and detect button presses on the remote control, whilst eventlircd is running ir-keytable -t detects nothing.

I have then changed the imon_mce keymap file in the etc/rc_keymaps folder that came with OpenElec, to my modified imon_mce file I used in Ubuntu Minimal.

Now the remote control is working and the double press / bouncing issue has stopped happening. All the problem buttons like Guide / Play / Pause / Info are now all working fine!

This here is the original imon_mce file from OpenElec and this here is my modified one.

In the OpenElec installation, I currently have no keyboard.xml or remote.xml file present in the userdata/keymaps folder, yet it still works.
I did have the keyboard.xml file present in the previous Ubuntu installation though.

So I just copied the keyboard.xml file I was using in my previous Ubuntu installation in to the userdata/keymaps folder in the OpenElec installation and everything is still working OK after a reboot etc and running killall eventlircd again. So not sure if I actually need the keyboard.xml file present or not?

So I presume now after issuing the "killall eventlircd" command, I am only using IR-Keytable and the in-kernel drivers / modules. No Lirc or Eventlircd etc and it only seems to work for me when lirc is not running.

I am still totally confused about lirc and eventlircd, but just using the in-kernel stuff and disabling lirc, seems to resolve the double presses / bouncing issues for me.

This whole issue I believe is down to in-kernel stuff conflicting with lirc stuff and one of them has to be disabled. I do not know how to disable the in-kernel stuff? This is the module rc_core right? Everything on the forums I have read and tried about disabling the in-kernel stuff doesn't seem to work for me. Tried these here for example and the command they suggest running, stops the remote working altogether when I try it.

But I am able to disable lirc, in Ubuntu Minimal I un-installed it. I cant un-install it in OpenElec though as there is no apt-get command available. So maybe I can kill it or black list eventlircd somehow in OpenElec ?

Thanks Confused

EDIT: You can follow this OpenElec Wiki page to create an autostart.sh file and the add on the second line: killall eventlircd and that works now after boot up.
And the problems are back again in OpenElec Gotham trying to use an MCE remote with an iMon IR

http://openelec.tv/forum/103-infared-rem...ain#109368

I'm getting sick of this not working properly. Nobody seems to be able to help or explain why it happens? Undecided
Bump this thread, I have exactly the same problem.

Ubuntu 14.04 (kernel 4.3) with OrigenAE M10 (15c2:0036 device) and a MCE Remote (Philips RC197). I installed ir-keytable and lirc without any problem. Then I did sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc and select Linux input layer and my device without problems. Finally I executed: /usr/bin/ir-keytable -w /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/imon_mce -p RC6 (I didn't remember exactly the command, but was worked).

Finally I tested with: ir-keytable -t and every button worked lovely. But....the pause, stop, guide, and 3-4 more buttons has the same problem with the "Double Presses'. It's very easy to identify with the "ir-ketable -t" and pressing any of this buttons...

Any ideas?
I gave up on that particular Soundgraph internal IR in the end, as it just caused too many headaches under Linux. I did have it working OK sometimes but then after upgrading the OS / OpenElec version it would cause issues again and generally be a right pain.

I now have a genuine Microsoft MCE USB IR reciever plugged in to the back of the Originae M10 case and just use that one with the Soundgraph one disabled, think I flicked a switch on the Soundgraph board itself to disable it from picking up MCE IR commands, as I am still using the LCD display on it.

Actually since using the Microsoft MCE IR each OpenElec update from Gotham -> Helix -> Isengard etc I haven't really has any remote control issues it just works out of the box.

Here is an old thread on the OpenElec forum I started about this HTPC case / Soundgraph board and all the issues with it

http://openelec.tv/forum/103-infared-rem...ssue-again

I have another older HTPC case up stairs and that has a different Soundgraph board in it and that one has always worked no problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenElec IR remote control issues please help0