New Raspberry Pi enclosure
Your comments are beginning to sound a bit antagonistic. Let's end it here.
Apologies... I missed this post previously...

(2013-12-04, 12:02)MilhouseVH Wrote:
(2013-12-04, 03:08)The_Doc Wrote: Have a look here for temperatures of a stock RasPi with no case

http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/que...components

Just to point out those are thermal images of a v1 Raspberry Pi (note the lack of mounting holes introduced with the v2). The temperatures on a v2 Raspberry Pi could be quite different, particularly in the region of the LAN chip as the v2 fixes the design flaw that drove up the temperature of that chip.

Indeed, it's a V1 Pi that I was testing, which was the reason behind my original post... because not everyone has the V2, so any case that's designed with a built-in heat sink should (IMHO) take this into account and provide a cooling solution in its design.

(2013-12-04, 12:02)MilhouseVH Wrote:
(2013-12-04, 03:08)The_Doc Wrote: At a 1000/500/500/6 overclock, streaming HD video, the CPU temp rose to 95 deg before it crashed and the ethernet chip was at 80 degrees, which is at the limit of its design spec and at that temperature it should have a heatsink.

That's odd, as the CPU will throttle once it hits 85C (v1 and v2).

I had upped the limit for testing... temp_limit=100 - The Pi rebooted at a reading of 95 deg on my meter. I presume the actual temperature would have been slightly higher, probably @ 100 deg that it was set to.

(2013-12-04, 21:26)awp0 Wrote: Your comments are beginning to sound a bit antagonistic. Let's end it here.

Antagonistic... how so?

I was merely pointing out that anyone with a professed background in heat transfer would know that air is an insulator, not a conductor. If this has upset you in some way, then I do apologise for allowing facts to stand in the way of conjecture but I was simply expressing an opinion based on those facts and on my own personal experiences, and as I stated previously, my Raspberry Pi needs heat sinks on at least two of its components, which was the premise behind my original post.
(2013-12-05, 01:18)The_Doc Wrote: Antagonistic... how so?

I was merely pointing out that anyone with a professed background in heat transfer would know that air is an insulator, not a conductor. If this has upset you in some way, then I do apologise for allowing facts to stand in the way of conjecture but I was simply expressing an opinion based on those facts and on my own personal experiences, and as I stated previously, my Raspberry Pi needs heat sinks on at least two of its components, which was the premise behind my original post.

Simple: I never contradicted the fact that air is considered an insulator (why did you think this?), yet for some reason you decided to throw in a cheap shot implying I did not know this. Why you felt this necessary, who knows. If something is an insulator, it still conducts, albeit poorly. Fortunately for us, the Raspberry Pi does not need anything better especially outside of the CPU.
You two didn't keep your respective promises above to stop bickering over this matter. I feel sorry for the OP who was just trying announce his case project for the RPi and now his thread has been hijacked.
Sorry, I triple super promise this time!

This is my last post on this thread. Sweet case, good luck OP!
(2013-12-05, 03:48)artrafael Wrote: You two didn't keep your respective promises above to stop bickering over this matter. I feel sorry for the OP who was just trying announce his case project for the RPi and now his thread has been hijacked.

What on earth are you talking about? The OP stated that he wasn't trying to sell it, he was asking what people thought of it and how he could improve the design! I gave my opinion and the reasons behind that opinion. I then went on to defend my reasoning when it was brought into question. How on earth can that be construed as bickering? And could you please point out where I stated that I would refrain from something I wasn't even aware I was party to?
Ill love to see an RPI included with included power supply and 4 more usb ports. that way it would be easier to take the rpi to any place. Want to give an RPI to my mother but want something plug and play.
Here is a pretty awesome one too. https://www.etsy.com/listing/176676571/x...nium-these?
I like this case in this thread (and the one linked just above), but I ended up buying the following case:
http://www.mobileappsystems.com/hardware...aspberrypi

It's pretty amazing for $40.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Raspberry Pi enclosure1