Intel NUC (Forest Canyon Early 2014)
Even 3rd gen celeron NUC would be sufficient if there was proper HW acceleration without "color disturbance".
Until then NUC is a expensive geek crippled toy when using for media center. Sad

As I see it, NVidia is the only way to go, but havent tested it by my self, so no 100% sure.
About the problem around 23.976... I dont see those framedrops, and I dont care of one frame drop every 5 minutes or so.
But as I see color scale problems with NUC, so other can see dropped frame.
lmyllari is a hope for us to change the HW decoding drastically. Wink
(2013-11-16, 11:41)joelbaby Wrote:
(2013-11-16, 07:58)nickr Wrote: Nvidia does.

Not even Nvidia...23.9724 : http://www.anandtech.com/show/5969/zotac...-review-/5

23.976 is such a retarded frame rate. Movies are shot at 24fps, and are then altered to match an ancient broadcast TV format. To maintain compatibility for people who play their Bluray on an old CRT TV the movies are altered to the slower frame rate.

I couldn't agree more, but a clarification is that even if someone has a brand new HDTV, the NTSC spec will mean that the BD is mastered at 23.976 for backwards compatibility.

23.976 has definitely caused all kinds of problem in the media/ripping realm but I doubt the studios or BD hardware manufacturers give a crap.

24.000 would be a helluva lot better and easier and most of this crap with frame drops would disappear.
I wanted to open a new thread but then I googled and got here.

Anyway Intel's Bay Trail Nuc is available here and it isn't Atom inside but Celeron N2820.
Finally Intel done the deed and added 2.5 hdd bay (was very silly they had sata port on the first Haswell models but not hdd bay).
If translated to USD then I would say it sold here for about 160$ barebone, for OpenELEC I would add 2GB Ram for 26$, fast USB 3.0 drive for the OS for 20$~30$ and you get a great HTPC for about 200$.

http://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/e...0fykh.html
Hello , it a good new !
We can assume that the power consumption will be less compare to i3/i5 model in use, but in IDLE ? 4W will be a dream It will be perfect for me, DLNA audio server,, spotify , backup pc and XBMC on the same time
(2013-11-16, 17:49)wsume99 Wrote: I wish it had a mSATA port for my OS plus a SATA port for a 2.5" HDD for recording storage.
If you want that wish come true, then you could maybe take a wink at a Giada Barebone?
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
Not seeing big problems with the Haswell NUC that can't be fixed via software, there are already fixes being applied and I don't see issues on mine. I have some issues with Openelec I'm sorting but it's got to be config since others don't see it, the i5 I have with a full desktop is working great. I think people are making mountains out of molehills.

As for power usage, 20watts at full CPU usage is nothing! My TiVo uses 2x that and my TV when turns on uses 5x that. Buy a Pivos if you want to go really low. Hell a spinning HDD is going to use 10watts!

There will always be something better just over the next hill and waiting on it seems silly. This generation Haswell NUC works well and has the mSATA and SATA ports you've asked for but the case is too small for a full sized drive and no extra power for one. Stream from USB or NAS and be happy...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Can't wait until the new one is out! Exactly what I want. Hope it's soon
I'm in doubt between this item and the i3 version.
I think the power of the celeron will be more then enough for xbmc only, but i'm in doubt if I will notice the 24p bug.
I play my movies now with a raspberry pi and I don't notice any lost frames during movies. Will I then be fine with the celeron nuc or will you see constant stuttering during the movie?
I am fairly allergic to stutter and judder but I truly do not notice the 24p bug on my Ivy Bridge NUC...
(2013-12-30, 16:21)nupi Wrote: I am fairly allergic to stutter and judder but I truly do not notice the 24p bug on my Ivy Bridge NUC...

Thanks. That's reassuring Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC (Forest Canyon Early 2014)0