I can play DVD files on Rasperry Pi+Openelec+XBMC but...
Here is what I did:

1) Bought the MPG2 key and entered it in /flash/config.txt by SSHing into the box as described in http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...c_Licences

2) I ripped an encrypted DVD to a USB stick (using DVDShrink in Wine) which resulted in AUDIO_TS and VİDEO_TS directories. In the VIDEO_TS directory there are 5 .VOB files (each about 1.1 GB) and numerous .BUP and .IFO files, exactly as they are on the original DVD

3) I made a directory with the same name as the DVD under Movies on my USB disk connected to the Raspberry Pi

4) Copied the two directories from the USB stick to the USB disk

4) I added the directory to the video library and updated it

5) On the main screen of XBMC I got the following in recently added movies:

a) A strange icon called Benny's Video
b) 5 icons with the name of the ripped DVD

I discovered that Benny's Video is actually the menu part of the DVD and the other five are the VOB files of the DVD

When I click on them they play perfectly with all the subtitles selectable (I'm not a native English speaker)

But, of course, this is a strange way of watching a DVD movie. After each VOB file finishes you have to click on the next one to continue with the movie. Nevertheless, it proves that Raspberry Pi+Openelec+XBMC plays DVD plays perfectly.

Any suggestions as to how to make this more usable/user friendly?

System: Raspberry Pi B, Openelec 3.2.3, XBMC 12.2 Frodo
For DVD raw rips in a folder, I think you need to have "Folder contains a single movie" set when you "set content (wiki)".

Try going under Videos -> Files, then select the specific folder that has the name of the movie, bring up the context menu and select "change content", then enable "Selected folder contains a single movie".
Thank you for your input but that particular option is greyed out and cannot be chosen. I don't know why, maybe something to do with my general settings.
Your setup sounds terrible to use and maintain. Suggestion: Rip movie into one .iso file, store them in NAS or similar, use NFS to stream it. Solves all your problems. remeber FAT32 has only 32bit pointer = 4GB filesize max.
Thank you. I thought about that but my FreeNAS box is in the basement and the Raspberry Pi is on the third floor and despite the two wifi repeaters on the first and second floors I can't get enough bandwidth. What I was trying to prove to myself that I can play DVDs on XBMC. Having proved that, albeit in a very contorted way, I will now return to my DVD player.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I can play DVD files on Rasperry Pi+Openelec+XBMC but...0