Linux Viewing content stored on Windows PC
Hi,

Complete newbie to XBMC, so apologies if this is a stupid question!

I currently have a powerful windows gaming pc plugged into the back of my PC and am currently in the process of pulling together a HTPC which I am intending run with Linux Ubuntu amd XBMC.

What I would like to do is store all my media on my windows gaming PC and then stream it to XBMC on Linux over my wireless netwrk. Despite lots of googling, I'm still not really sure if this is easy to do or if it's even possible.

If anyone can shed some light on this for me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

See this wiki article on the various File sharing (wiki) options.
@Slovenlyjimmy

I do this from a win7 prem64bit box. It is simple. Your firewall must let you in the win box. Windows firewall is easiest to use/setup. Disable other firewalls and use windows firewall for setup, then use other firewall once it is working.

On win7 box (others are close). Put your movies in a folder, organized/renamed for scraping.
(assuming you already added new * people*/users with passwords from control panel already)
Right click the folder ->
share with ->
choose people to share with ->
Select user from menu ->
Add ->
Choose permission level and set ->
Share.

From xbmc -> on Linux, videos ->
Files ->
Add videos ->
Browse -> scroll way down...
Windows SMB -> choose folder windows user/pword/remember
Then choose media type, tmdb for movies or tvdb for TV shows.. It will scrape pix and plots for you if you named your shows correctly. Good luck!
G
That's great, thanks for your help.

Should be ordering parts for my HTPC box in the next few days. Trying really hard to resist the urge to fill it with better spec components than I really need :-)

Cheers
For graphics consider a gt610 for an out of the box quality feature rich setup on linux. Some slightly older AMD apus work on oss very well. My a4-3400 does well on oss and used to house a gt610. OSS is becoming much more stable now. Reference:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854

If you go with an AMD apu you must get dual channel pc1600/1866 cas9 or faster ram. 4gb is fine. Your frame rates will be much better.

I have only one Intel apu, it is OK. Deinterlacing is important for me.
Advanced Deinterlacing on nvidea and the amd oss gets much closer to bluray quality. Intel only has Bob deinterlacing available now and it is slightly blurry. IMHO

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Viewing content stored on Windows PC0