Critique my planned large XBMC install
Hi,

First time poster in this forum..

I am planning a reasonably large XBMC install. I have never installed XBMC at all before however so would like some advice and confirmation that I am thinking along the right lines.

Hardware:
Synology DS413j NAS
1x media center PC with TV tuners
3x raspPi clients
1x android tablet

All but the tablet are gigabit networked.

I plan to share the library via a MySQL database on the NAS. I'm a little bit concerned about the warning "You can only sync the library if every XBMC "client" is running the same version of XBMC". What happens if for instance the tablet gets an auto update of the XBMC app? I'm guessing with each increment of the database version there are tools to migrate data to the new database so that it and all clients can be upgraded in parallel?

The NAS will hold most media, however I had planned for the media center PC have the PVR backend and to record to a local hard disk. I thought this was sensible as I plan to have 2 or 3 HD tuners, and I would assume that the network traffic with 3 recording network streams to the NAS plus possible streaming of other content from the NAS would be asking for trouble? So it would record locally and that drive would be shared on the network and would be available to the database running on the NAS so that all clients can see that content. Would this work? I would maybe have an overnight task that would copy recorded programs to the NAS.

Am I also correct that any of the other clients would be able to use the PVR functionality for live TV from the media center backend even though that computer does not host the MySQL database?

I'm sure there are many other questions that I need to ask, but I'll keep this initial post short.

Thanks in advance.

Kieran
I assume by the lack of responses that it is going to work perfectly Smile

I'm going to continue. Please post here if you see something that looks like it won't work.

My current plan of action:

1. Set up database on the NAS.
2. Use android tablet as the initial client to test.
3. Buy a Pi (I did have one but sold it to a mateSad) and confirm that client it working correctly before jumping in and buying the other Pi's.
4. Build media centre PC.
5. Spend a long time experimenting with PVR functionality across the different clients.

I anticipate that 1-4 should be reasonably painless. I'm sure 5 will involve significantly more pain.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Critique my planned large XBMC install0