BioStar Celeron 1037U
Hei guys,

I'm following for a lot of time different threats, and didn't find that much infomation about the 1037U platform.
Actually I'm running an ATV 1 with openelec. Problem is, as there is not standby available on the ATV, I have to switch it on/off all the time (and the atv takes some time to start...) + I would like to integrate also dvb-s2 (pvr) possibilities in my xbmc system.
So I'm searching for a new platform, and I wonder i someone is already using this mainboard (http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/intr...p?S_ID=654) with the 1037U CPU.

I would like to take this mainboard (add some ram, a ssd, a dvb-s2 usb receiver) and put it in an old dvb-s receiver case. basically what I do with my actual system is:
- play some dvd rip located on my nas (in the future also bd)
- watch youtube videos
- streaming
- no 3d content
it should be able to play 1080p content. I've connected the atv to a panasonic tx-p46s20e through hdmi.
The TV provides an optical out- does this mean that it can pass trough hd audio signals? actually my (low low low cost) teufel audio receiver is connected directly to my xbox. I didn't try it so far, as I'ld have to buy a new optical cable (tv is mounted on a wall- are there any tos link 90° curves, as I think a tos link may not be bended too much), and if some one maybe knows if it will work or not, it would be great!

Thanks in advance to every answer!
Considering the Celeron 847 platform can do all of that... I'm sure the 1037U will have no problem.
I expect to receive mine tomorrow. I'll post my experience with it later.
A strange thing I just noticed is that the board (atleast where I live) isn't available anymore at any store. Two weeks ago about 6 big webshops had them in stock. Maybe Biostar is holding back on the boards to try and sell the 847 boards first? I think that might also have been the reason why it took so long for the 1037 board to hit the stores.
Gigabyte is coming out with some C1037U boards soon -- including one with a passive heatsink.
(2013-11-22, 21:26)Snippo Wrote: I expect to receive mine tomorrow. I'll post my experience with it later.
A strange thing I just noticed is that the board (atleast where I live) isn't available anymore at any store. Two weeks ago about 6 big webshops had them in stock. Maybe Biostar is holding back on the boards to try and sell the 847 boards first? I think that might also have been the reason why it took so long for the 1037 board to hit the stores.

Hey, I'ld happy about feedback! How do you manage the power supply? Will you use some pico psu?

Btw. Gigabyte board sounds even better, but is there already an announcement when it will be released?

What about the audio pass through? Has anyone experience about that?
I've been following this thread on Anandtech http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2336947 with hopes we will see some come out with at least 4 SATA so I can build a server. I'm hoping we see more pop up next year.

I got mine last week, positive experience so far (although the fan is a little noisy). Overall it seems much snappier in Windows than my previous Acer Revo (Ion2) with Atom D525, in XBMC it seems about the same.

I'm powering it with a PicoPSU 120, and plan to replace the heatsink with a Zalman northbridge heatsink and a low RPM 120mm fan directly above.
(2013-11-25, 13:08)Scottland Wrote: I got mine last week, positive experience so far (although the fan is a little noisy). Overall it seems much snappier in Windows than my previous Acer Revo (Ion2) with Atom D525, in XBMC it seems about the same.

I'm powering it with a PicoPSU 120, and plan to replace the heatsink with a Zalman northbridge heatsink and a low RPM 120mm fan directly above.

OK, the noisy fan could be a problem. maybe a noiseblocker fan would already resolve this issue...
Have you maybe tried the internal spdif out? My problem is, that my tv is not able to pass through the hd audio signal. So i have to connect the sourround system directly... I read in the manual of the board, that an internal connector is availabe, just asking if this is a coaxial or optical out (or is maybe the same)?
Noise was much better when setting the fan mode to quiet in the BIOS, however I have this morning removed the fan and installed an 800rpm bequiet fan and am testing that.

Can't help much on the spdif, but I can confirm the connector is there on the motherboard, in the picture below it's the black connector inbetween the 4 caps (next to the PCIe slot).

Installed a Zalman northbridge heatsink, and added an 800rpm fan above. Near silent and temperatures vastly improved. So far so good with this board, for the price I'd definitely recommend it.

Hei, looks good! So the bequit fan didn't fit for you? Have you already installed xbmc on it? are you using win or linux?
The bequiet fan is mounted directly above the CPU on a bracket that comes with the case:

I may experiment without the fan and see how I go, temperatures are hovering around 40 degrees C at the moment.

The machine is running Windows 7, I could have gone with Openelec but I run ArgusTV on the same machine so prefer to use Windows rather than play around with another PVR backend.
I'm using the board in a LC-1340mi case combined with a 16 GB mini USB stick and a mini WiFi adapter.
I still have to do extensive testing but it seems to work fine for now Smile.
With the bios fan speed set to quiet it idles at the XBMC home screen at ~41° C . I think 40° C is the default for the fan to turn on, below that the fan doesn't spin at all. This value can be set manually so I'll have to test and see if I can find a value where the fan will be turned off most of the time.
Ofcourse at the highest speed the fan will sound like a vacuum cleaner, but with normal usage it can operate at the lowest speed and you won't hear it unless you put your ear to the case.
I did some power consumption tests:
Idle: 13 W
1080i50: 25 W
1080p: 18 W

With 1080i50 the CPU usage is around 25% and the temperature goes up to 70° C, but this seems to be normal for these Celerons.
When I run mprime it only uses 23 W and stays at 65 ° C with 100% CPU load. That proofs that the GPU is actually used with VAAPI deinterlacing Smile.
The fan stays around 4000 RPM at full load and even in a silent room I barely notice it. So I see no reason to replace the CPU fan.
So far everything I tried played fine, including 1080i50 (the Celeron 847 seems to drop 1 fps with 1080i50).

Finally found the low-power, but powerful setup I was looking for Big Grin.
Awesome. I noticed the Gigabyte C1037U is now available at Newegg.com. And, not to be outdone, there's a Jetway C1047U Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
BioStar Celeron 1037U0