HD 4000, VC-1 and H.264
I'm restarting my tivo replacement project with a new Foxconn NanoPC AT-7500 mini barebone.

Ivy Bridge i5-3317U with integrated HD 4000. 4 GB of ram, 120 GB ssd, 64 bit windows 8.1.

I'm going with windows cuz I have a SiliconeDust cable card tuner and Windows Media Center is the only cable card solution.

So...

Windows Media Center runs fine.

XBMC seems to run fine, EXCEPT, my ripped Blu-Rays that are VC-1 encoded are unwatchable.
The H.264 encoded Blu-Rays play back wonderfully.

VC-1 encoded Blu-Ray video makes everything go bonkers. Windozes reports that it is out of memory.

I'm open to xbmc tweaks as I'm running a very default install. I don't want to hand brake VC-1 to H.264 as I want the full blu-ray picture.

Any suggestions?
Debug log (wiki) when you play a VC-1? That hardware should be more than enough, both hardware video decoding and software video decoding, for VC-1. Shouldn't really require anything extra. Maybe make sure graphics drivers are up to date.
Try the latest nightly build..
I'm in the process of setting up an Intel NUC with the same CPU and graphics.

Under current Frodo 12.2 a few of my VC-1 movies would not play correctly (HD-DVD rips).
However with a stand alone player in windows they were ok.
Downloaded one of the latest nightly builds (XBMCSetup-20131119-cca24dd-master.exe ) as a trial and solved the problem. Smile

I did a search a while ago and I think there was a problem with VC-1 playback in Frodo, which I think will be fixed in Gotham.

Anyway it's worth a try. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=development_builds
Cheers....
(2013-11-22, 09:26)Ned Scott Wrote: Debug log (wiki) when you play a VC-1? That hardware should be more than enough, both hardware video decoding and software video decoding, for VC-1. Shouldn't really require anything extra. Maybe make sure graphics drivers are up to date.
Log is at http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=88345
The XBMC log uploader was certainly nifty.

I perused it and nothing jumped out and bit me on the keyster...
I just downloaded and installed the very latest driver from Intel.

Same results. H.264 encoded videos play beautifully, VC-1 encoded videos are for all practical purposes unplayable.
It's not your hardware, it's the VC-1 codec. Some VC-1 movies can't be ripped correctly because the video is interlaced and it won't matter what player you try either. Use RipBot264 and make sure you have the very most latest versions of ffdshow 32-bit, Avisynth and Matroska Splitter. Under you ffdshow video decoder make sure VC-1 is decoded with wmv9 and not libavcodec. Under your DXVA Decoder Configuration make sure Hardware Acceleration is turned on for H264 and VC1. After all that I don't have any trouble ripping and playing VC-1 coded into H.264.
As a workaround for VC-1 .. Settings, Video, Playback, Allow hardware acceleration DXVA2, disabled.

Also, try using version 13, Gotham builds: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/snapshots/win32/
(2013-11-23, 03:25)joelbaby Wrote: As a workaround for VC-1 .. Settings, Video, Playback, Allow hardware acceleration DXVA2, disabled.
WOW.

Perfect playback.

So, who is to blame? is it Intel? XBMC? Microsoft?

I have not tried any gotham builds, maybe I'll try openelec on a USB stick

Previously in the earlier failed project (Windows Media Center was the failing component), I had an AMD E450/Radon HD 6102 that had no problem with VC-1 and hardware acceleration.

What am I losing with hardware acceleration disabled?
Oh DOUBLE WOW

Just tried OpenElec on a USB stick

VC-1 AND H.264 encoded play flawlessly WITH hardware acceleration enabled. And the tv picture seems to look better too.
(2013-11-23, 06:42)smitopher Wrote: Oh DOUBLE WOW

VC-1 AND H.264 encoded play flawlessly WITH hardware acceleration enabled. And the tv picture seems to look better too.
Another convert Smile

(Nick, linux user!!)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-11-23, 08:11)nickr Wrote:
(2013-11-23, 06:42)smitopher Wrote: Oh DOUBLE WOW

Another convert Smile

(Nick, linux user!!)
The trouble is this is a "cable card tivo replacement project". Not ready to cut the cord just yet. No cable card support except for windoze media center...
mythtv supports cablecard. Besides, if you want to use wmc use it on the pvr backend and openelec on the clients!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-11-23, 10:04)nickr Wrote: mythtv supports cablecard. Besides, if you want to use wmc use it on the pvr backend and openelec on the clients!
Only channels marked copy freely. I want my live HBO and Showtime
My second suggestion still applies.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD 4000, VC-1 and H.2640