Upgrade HP XW4300 to HTPC?
Hi All

I have a Upgrade HP XW4300 which is a few years old CAD workstation. it has :

ntel Pentium 4 Processor 640iii / 3.20 GHz, 2 MB, 800 MHz FSB, EM64Ti
8 gb ram
GC : NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400 (PCIe)

as it has only Displayport as video output I need to consider if it could be turned to a HTPC, mainly installing XBMC...but also be able to support all my large makv files which has 5.1 audio...

I am not sure if I could change its graphic cards to a more suitable to Multimedia?

It would be great if I could have your idea

Thanks
Mohsen
First thing you could do is try a Displayport-to-HDMI adapter (or whatever input your TV has).

Otherwise, swapping out the graphics card for one with HDMI -- AMD HD6450 or Nvidia GT610 would work for viewing 1080p videos, no problem.

Without knowing what kind of connections you need (HDMI? SPDIF?) it's hard to say.
thanks "Dougie Fresh" for your reply

as I need to have 5.1 channel Audio support, I am not sure what is the cheapest way to do this. I will connect HDMI to my JVC home theater. it also has optical input .

I have also SAMSUNG 60" plasma 8+ series ...

I had a HP Envy 15 laptop which I was using for my Multimedia player and manager bu using XBMC and then through my rotor and Ethernet cables I have my PC downloaded (the HP XW4300 that now I want to use it as Multimedia player/manager) , everything was working perfectly and I could get 1080p + 5.1 for all my high quality large MKV files, but last week that HP laptop stopped working ...

I am not sure if I could replace the current Graphic Cards with any gaming (multimedia) one (such as AMD HD6450 or Nvidia GT610 ) for this HP XW4300?
According to this link on the HP website, it has a PCIe x16 slot (probably occupied by the card in there now) and put a different GPU card in there.

I don't know enough about DisplayPort to know if sound will work over a DP-to-HDMI adapter and/or if your current GPU card even has sound capabilities. I would think not.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrade HP XW4300 to HTPC?0