Will Plex's New Strategy Push More People To XBMC
I would just like an XBMC client for the Roku. Unfortunately according to other threads, it doesn't seem to be something that the team will pursue. For that purpose, and that purpose alone, I am using Plex. Have been using Plex longer than XBMC. My thinking is the best software for the job whether or not it is open source.

Have been thinking about checking out Media Browser as it has a Roku client as well. Just haven't worried too much about messing with something that isn't currently broken. Nor have I seen any big incentive in switching. My media machine runs both XBMC and Plex Server on the same library without problems.
Makes sense that there is limited incentive to change if you are happy with your dual Plex setup. Would still suggest you give the MBS/XBMC combo a shot. MBS is not only open-source, but also much more advanced compared to PMS (plus much more compatible to XBMC when it comes to metadata scraping)!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
(2013-12-07, 04:17)WayneFlix Wrote: I would just like an XBMC client for the Roku. Unfortunately according to other threads, it doesn't seem to be something that the team will pursue. For that purpose, and that purpose alone, I am using Plex. Have been using Plex longer than XBMC. My thinking is the best software for the job whether or not it is open source.

Have been thinking about checking out Media Browser as it has a Roku client as well. Just haven't worried too much about messing with something that isn't currently broken. Nor have I seen any big incentive in switching. My media machine runs both XBMC and Plex Server on the same library without problems.
Get with the program, open source IS the incentive.

Smile Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-12-06, 15:00)Zodler Wrote: Plex Server is a must for me just for the centralized resume function. Also, more I use Plex, more I need the On Deck function that XBMC lacks. Can't live without it. Sometimes you are watching 10 files at the same time and you need a place to see all your in progress viewings.
XBMC doesn't lack On Deck, it's just not shown in the default skin. I use Amber and it called 'Recommended' widget or something like that, works like On Deck by showing either the next unwatched episode, or any part watched. Works better than Plex too since it hasn't yet decided to just lose all my shows, and it's quicker to load too (not that plex was ever particularly slow).

(2013-12-06, 16:24)wojeda Wrote: If there is one good thing I could say about Plex is that their server solution is rock solid. I have to definitively hand that one to them. Can't say the same for their client(s) though, hence I now have XBMC.

Much like awp0, I have also thought about running the library through MySQL on my Linux server. That would take care of most of the administration, but still leaves the transcoding left out.

The more I think about it, the more I may want to keep Plex server running at least for the time being. My macmini can handle running it along with XBMC with power to spare. But I may move the Plex server out to the Ubuntu server anyways just so I can let XBMC be the sole app running on the mini. My LG TV's and the iPads will still be able to get to all the content including keeping the flags intact.
Horses for courses I guess, I used to find the client to be fine, but the server (running on Unraid) to be unstable and needing restarts regularly - not great when your wife wants to watch the next episode of grey's anatomy and you have to talk her through restarting it all!
(2013-12-07, 11:02)steve1977 Wrote: Would still suggest you give the MBS/XBMC combo a shot.

No server for MACOSX, still using old nfo's with no direct update in XBMC...
OK. Yes, I gathered a few things to try, though like I said, I have no problems with Plex/XBMC right now, I am willing to explore new things and will give MBS/XBMC a try. Plus I am big on open source, being a developer myself so, that alone... like nickr said. Smile

I will also try Amber, even though I love my Transparency! mostly because it supports Cinema Experience well. I did not see Amber under the supported list, but if it interfaces better with Plex, who knows.

So much to do... So little time.... Wink
Intel Core i7 3.3Ghz | GTX 1660 | Windows 1909 | 8GB | 32TB RAID1
138" 2.35:1 Elite Lunette Curved Screen | Epson 6050ub Projector | Marantz SR-6014 | Emotiva XPA-11
I just tried a little MediaBrowser 3 mentioned here. Looks nice. Any way to watch videos shared by the Media Browser 3 on an openelec HTPC?

The reason I still use Plex Server is that my media is under Windows 8 and has to be accessible by an Openelec PC. Sharing under windows 8 for linux access as I remember was a pain. Is it any easier now?
Maybe nickr knows. Looks like I am SOL as I just saw this is a Windows shop. No Linux or OSX servers available. So no MB3 for you! Sad
Intel Core i7 3.3Ghz | GTX 1660 | Windows 1909 | 8GB | 32TB RAID1
138" 2.35:1 Elite Lunette Curved Screen | Epson 6050ub Projector | Marantz SR-6014 | Emotiva XPA-11
(2013-12-07, 12:06)nickr Wrote:
(2013-12-07, 04:17)WayneFlix Wrote: I would just like an XBMC client for the Roku. Unfortunately according to other threads, it doesn't seem to be something that the team will pursue. For that purpose, and that purpose alone, I am using Plex. Have been using Plex longer than XBMC. My thinking is the best software for the job whether or not it is open source.

Get with the program, open source IS the incentive.

Smile Smile

Really it would all come down the to the Roku client between Plex and Media Browser. They both seem comparable overall. Not a programmer so Open Source doesn't really give much incentive. Support and ease of use are more important. I use XBMC on my local computer to tinker with but messing with XML files and playing with MySQL queries is as far as I will go with that. I have no interest in learning Python. Seems they are going to drop MySQL support so XBMC will be less fun after that.

(2013-12-07, 18:50)Zodler Wrote: I just tried a little MediaBrowser 3 mentioned here. Looks nice. Any way to watch videos shared by the Media Browser 3 on an openelec HTPC?

The reason I still use Plex Server is that my media is under Windows 8 and has to be accessible by an Openelec PC. Sharing under windows 8 for linux access as I remember was a pain. Is it any easier now?

You would have to use their HTML5 client on Linux. As far as I am aware.
(2013-12-07, 18:50)Zodler Wrote: I just tried a little MediaBrowser 3 mentioned here. Looks nice. Any way to watch videos shared by the Media Browser 3 on an openelec HTPC?
yes use the xbmc client - there is a thread here
Quote:The reason I still use Plex Server is that my media is under Windows 8 and has to be accessible by an Openelec PC. Sharing under windows 8 for linux access as I remember was a pain. Is it any easier now?
Windows 8 shares via smb surely?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

There is an MBS-addon for XBMc. Once installed, you are all set with your openelec XBMC.

(2013-12-07, 21:04)WayneFlix Wrote: Really it would all come down the to the Roku client between Plex and Media Browser. They both seem comparable overall.

There are comparable. Advantage of the MBS Roku client is that the development is more active and they really listen if you have some feature or bug requests for the Roku client.

And separately, integration MBS/XBMC is much better compared to PMS/XBMC. MBS will deal with all your metamanagement, while in the PMS world, this is closed only for Plex client and cannot be easily used with XBMC.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
(2013-12-07, 21:04)WayneFlix Wrote: Not a programmer so Open Source doesn't really give much incentive.
Have you ever heard the term non sequitur?
(2013-12-08, 02:28)nickr Wrote:
(2013-12-07, 21:04)WayneFlix Wrote: Not a programmer so Open Source doesn't really give much incentive.
Have you ever heard the term non sequitur?

As an end-user, Open Source by itself does not provide any incentives. It is just another type of End User License. Either the app works and it is used or it doesn't and it is trashed.

If that is a non-sequitor than implying that Open Source alone is incentive to use a software package is as well. That is what I was replying to.
I believe the point being made was that you needn't be a programmer to have incentive to use opensource software. Similarly, a programmer may not necessarily have any incentive to use opensource.

Personally, the main reason I use opensource software is not because I can alter it (I can if I really want to, but it's extremely rare that I do - I want to use it, not develop it), but rather because I know that if there is an issue with it, there will likely be a solution available or at the very least a community around that software that I can go to for help.

This can also apply to closed source software, but in my experience unless the developers of that software really support customisation in some way, the community doesn't really exist.

Certainly, if your only level of interaction with a piece of software is "try to do X, if it doesn't work, throw it away" then this is moot.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2013-12-09, 00:12)jmarshall Wrote: I believe the point being made was that you needn't be a programmer to have incentive to use opensource software. Similarly, a programmer may not necessarily have any incentive to use opensource.

Personally, the main reason I use opensource software is not because I can alter it (I can if I really want to, but it's extremely rare that I do - I want to use it, not develop it), but rather because I know that if there is an issue with it, there will likely be a solution available or at the very least a community around that software that I can go to for help.

This can also apply to closed source software, but in my experience unless the developers of that software really support customisation in some way, the community doesn't really exist.

Certainly, if your only level of interaction with a piece of software is "try to do X, if it doesn't work, throw it away" then this is moot.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Thank you for replying on my behalf, you said exactly what i would have typed if I got here quicker, and was more eloquent.

In other words, +1

Nick

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will Plex's New Strategy Push More People To XBMC1