• 22(current)
Feature Requests
I'd like to see some decent native PVR support.

With Windows 10, Windows Media Center is doomed. That was the only platform I've found that was reliable, simple to configure and easy to operate.
(2015-08-11, 19:59)w84no1 Wrote: Not sure if it has been requested as I didn't go through all 21 pages of this thread, but I use the http service just for the status web page it provides. Is there any way to have the server produce a json response so that I can tie the tuner status into my home automation server. If so, any info provided from the server could be of use.

TIA

Hi w84

Sure, that sounds like something we could do. Why don't you create a post under the normal threads. Put the format and what information you are looking for and i'll see how easy it would be to implement.

Thanks.
(2015-08-12, 19:08)sbthomas Wrote:
(2015-08-11, 19:59)w84no1 Wrote: Not sure if it has been requested as I didn't go through all 21 pages of this thread, but I use the http service just for the status web page it provides. Is there any way to have the server produce a json response so that I can tie the tuner status into my home automation server. If so, any info provided from the server could be of use.

TIA

Hi w84

Sure, that sounds like something we could do. Why don't you create a post under the normal threads. Put the format and what information you are looking for and i'll see how easy it would be to implement.

Thanks.

Created a new thread. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=235133
TV Mosaic on Windows 10 as PVR Backend |  1 RaspberryPI 3 Client (LibreElec) | Amazon FireTV box | 5 Amazon FireTV sticks | FireTV Cube | 2 Nvidia Shield TV
Tuners: HD HomeRun 4 ATSC (OTA) | IPTV
Client side WOL quiet mode!

I have Wake on Lan going. Seems to work great if I used that machine recently. Don't know why that matters, but it's sorta good enough. The thing is sleeping and gets woken up, sometimes. Cheers!

But even then, it takes maybe 1-5 minutes to wake it, and receive all the chans. And then if it's in whatever deep sleep (after say an hour offline), it's not going to wake without me going over there to press the button. Fine, can live with that.

What's awful is the "Pvr Wmc Client Sending Wake on Lan to Server" constant on-screen spam till something happens, if it ever happens. Please let us configure that to stfu.

Thanks for your awesome work.

edit 2: should mention (unrelated, but also WOL): I get some hard freezes after it wakes with 16 beta 4 sometimes. CTRL-ALT-DEL to shut down Kodi only fix, again client side.
have you tried using an alternative WOL tool just to figure out if the problem is that the WOL sent by Kodi does not seem to work, or that your box somehow isnt being woken by WOL even from another WOL tool?
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
(2015-08-11, 20:13)jp2code Wrote: I'd like to see some decent native PVR support.

With Windows 10, Windows Media Center is doomed. That was the only platform I've found that was reliable, simple to configure and easy to operate.

It looks like this is starting to happen.

I have another request, though: When one of the PVR plug-ins fails, if Kodi does anything it only displays a simple message saying to check the logs.

I am a software developer. I understand it is bad to display exception messages because these sometimes show the underlying code or a database connection string with user and password information or whatever.

But, this is just TV on a media PC. These are not bank records or sensitive information.

I was recently getting a Kodi message whenever I tried to watch anything on Live TV. I would click a channel and I would either be told "the tuner is no longer available" (*see comment about this below) or "unable to complete request. See the logs for details."

It is so frustrating to see a useless message like this.

I did not really have time to go in and figure out what Kodi was bitching about, so this continued on for almost a week with all of my recordings failing. I would go into the logs, but there are hundreds of lines dumped into those and I don't know what I'm looking for.

I went straight into NextPVR's interface to watch some TV. When I selected a channel, it told me it was unable to play because the hard drive had insufficient space. Sure enough, the recorded TV had managed to fill the C:\ to 99.8% capacity, so there was no way to start up Live TV, which required a bit of buffer space. I deleted a few monster files, and now Live TV works - in NextPVR and in Kodi.

My gripe here is that Kodi could have displayed a more helpful message. We don't really have banking account transactions going on in the media PC, so give us the option to see the exact error message instead of, "Huh, something isn't right. Now, go figure it out."

Thanks,
Joe

* Message "the tuner is no longer available": On this, I get it often. Usually, it is because one of the Over The Air signals is too weak to pull in, so I go to another channel. The message stays on screen, though, while I am watching another channel. That's kind of dumb to tell me the tuner is not available when I am actually watching TV with the tuner, wouldn't you think?
@jp2code

Why are you posting this here? Shouldn't you be in the nextpvr forum?

But my two cents: kodi throws up the 'check log file for details' message when the backend reports an error but doesn't give kodi any more info that that. For common errors we try to post reasonable messages to the ui, but its far from complete. Since these kodi ui messages get translated, changing the messages requires both addon and backend updates, so we don't do it often.

So its not a matter of security, its a matter of figuring out what to spend time on. As a software developer yourself, ask yourself how long you spend on writing, debugging and supporting software you give away for free - its like that.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
Got it, Krusty.

When I was using WMC Server, you told me once that you could only make the messages available to Kodi or that Kodi did not include the functionality to handle the errors correctly.

If that has been changed, then I do indeed need to address this to NextPVR.

As a side note: I uninstalled WMC about 6-months ago when their EPG stopped working. That also coincides with when I switched to NextPVR. Is WMC's EPG still messed up? Last I heard, Microsoft changed to a vendor that did not have any data, or something along those lines.
@Krusty: My apologies! I am also subscribed to a thread similar to "Feature Request" for Kodi. I got it mixed up with your WMC thread.

I don't know what I'm doing, apparently.
The addon contains a list of pvr error messages in multiple languages. When there is a backend error, the backend tells the addon which error string to display and the addon tells kodi to display it. Not sure if that's what nextpvr does, but it probably is. Even if its a general complaint about how kodi handles error messages, that should be posted in the forum above this one, this sub forum is just for pvr.wmc and serverwmc issues.

I still hear some complaints about the quality of the epg data from the new wmc vendor (rovi), usually its just related to them using the wrong program image for a show. There was a problem for many users when the transition happened that stopped then from getting any data at all, but that problem is resolvable now. But if nextpvr is working for you, no reason to change imo.

Edit:
Our posts crossed. No problem, good luck getting it resolved.
Everything is working great for us... Here is a suggestion that we would love to have:

At the end of a recorded video, a popup asking if we want to delete. It would save the need to have to go through a mass delete process every week or so and keep the recordings folder nice and clean.

Rob
Hi Rob,

This would need to be added to Kodi proper rather then our addon. We could conceivable have a setting in serverwmc to delete shows after they are watched but we can't ask the user before we do it inside of Kodi (or any other client) so its really too dangerous for us to implement. As another option, I believe you can also set wmc to automatically delete shows after they are watched, we set the same watched flag that wmc uses, so watching it in Kodi should trigger it.
Also from Kodi Jarvis, with the native support for series recording and additional pvr options, you can set the lifetime to "delete after watched" when you schedule it (or the series)
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
True, but we use the "prime time" feature almost exclusively. Auto-delete is just a bit too dangerous, if I happen to delete a show my wife hasn't seen yet..lol

Rob
I noticed on this and other threads people mentioning that the EPG from WMC was no longer working. One would assume it was not available but I am using it today so as of May 1, 2016 it is still functional.
  • 22(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Feature Requests1