Intel NUC + CEC?
I'm looking to upgrade my HTPC from a Pi (which I love, but is just too damn slow for everything I want to do) to an Intel NUC. Seems like it's perfect, except I've become attached to CEC and only have to use one remote for everything.

I know Pulse-eight makes an adapt that I could theoretically use, but the only person who actually tried this (that I know of) experienced a bunch of bugs. Has anyone gotten CEC working flawlessly with their NUC?
I think the newer NUCs can use the internal CEC adapter that Pulse Eight sells. Not sure, though. That would be quite the added value, though.

EDIT: Wait, is that the one you're talking about? if so, never mind :)
I was using the external USB-CEC adapter from Pulse-Eight before I got my RPi, and it worked exactly the same way.
So I was very happy with that.
Sure you can have:

Internal CEC from pulse to connect to Custom Solutions header (2.0 mm pitch) ( http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23089/en...Spec03.pdf page: 39)

or external fonction still same with both solution.

Caution because if you put internal solution you need change case because the standard case is too small.
Whilst the Haswell NUC does have an HTPC header, the current case is too small to get the internal CEC adaptor into.

I have the external adaptor, and whilst it does work (Win 8.1, Frodo 12.2) I have an issue where I get no display on the TV when powering on from cold. If I resume from suspent then all is ok, as is if I boot up directly connected to the TV then switch the cables.

I've opened a case with Pulse Eight for it to see what they say, just waiting on a reply. It may not be an issue with the adaptor though, could be OS, TV or BIOS.
I have a RPi with a Sony TV, CEC works on that (XBMC 12.2). I also have a NUC (i am testing is now for the same reason, speed and need a PVR card), my NUC is DCCP847DYE, its the slowest, it plays movies fine (tried 2 so far), however CEC doesnt work with the same TV, cable and remote (as it did with the RPi).

I am not happy to by more hardware when a $40 item can do all this and the setup was 10 times faster, dont want to buy any more hardware, think i prefer to wait on the RPi than "upgrade" to something 10 times more expensive and have to buy hardware.

Will keep you posted if i get this to work.

UPDATE (taken about 1-2 hours mins to find this).

INTEL

::: IT WILL NEVER WORK :::
Intel HD Graphics doesn't support CEC, see below link:

Intel HDMI details
Click "What are the differences between different HDMI versions?"
About halfway down "Consumer Electronic Control (CEC) - Note Intel graphics do not support this feature."
NICE ONE INTEL, way to go supporting an industry standard !!!

FOXCONN
Foxconn make a line of "nano PC", some are Intel (same problem as above, as there Intel Graphics), however they do another line of AMD units (Foxconn Brazos, i have no idea what video these are, but will look in to it.

Ive sent an email to Fozconn to ask, however from what i read none of the Radeon series of cards seems to support CEC!

ZOTAC
ZBOX doesnt seem to support CEC either (at least at March 2013 anyway).

nVIDIA
nVidia developer forum
Doesnt seem to either and have no plan to in the future (November 2013)

CONCLUSION
Dont use a PC for a media center, Raspberry Pi here we come!
Many Thanks
Ashley

© Copyright 2016 - www.ashleygriffin.ca
(2014-01-12, 07:29)SFX Group Wrote: CONCLUSION
Dont use a PC for a media center, Raspberry Pi here we come!

Seriously? Have you ever heard the phrase throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

I have a Pi using CEC in my kitchen, and you know what - I'm looking to replace the CEC control with an MCE remote because the CEC is too damned slow and rubbish.

CONCLUSION
Dont use CEC it's a waste of time
Hahahahaha. CEC and Pi's are the "training bra's" of the HTPC world. They're fine for starting off with. But you soon want to move to something bigger and better!!
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-01-12, 07:29)SFX Group Wrote: I have a Pi using CEC in my kitchen, and you know what - I'm looking to replace the CEC control with an MCE remote because the CEC is too damned slow and rubbish.

Never had a problem with mine, its lighting fast and does what it says on the box, moves around the menus, plays. stops, jumps to menus, sleep the box, does everything on 1 remote.

Sounds like your TV might be abit slow at throwing the commands down the pipe, my Sony sees light lighting from what you are experiencing.

HOWEVER

The original poster (and myself) both want CEC, so i spent some time emailing manufactures and researching which appears you didnt need to read as you dont want to use it, so... dont use it, but thanks for the compliment on spending my time researching this stuff.. your welcome.
Many Thanks
Ashley

(2014-01-12, 11:16)SFX Group Wrote: HOWEVER

The original poster (and myself) both want CEC, so i spent some time emailing manufactures and researching which appears you didnt need to read as you dont want to use it, so... dont use it, but thanks for the compliment on spending my time researching this stuff.. your welcome.

Dont waste your time emailing manufacturers because no gpu available today supports cec. If you want cec buy an adapter. If you dont want to spend the money stick with a rpi.

@OP I dont have a nuc but i have a pulse eight adapter. I have had no problems with it being buggy, but one of the first things i did was upgrade the firmware and I use linux with the libcec ppa so software updates are delivered promptly.
(2014-01-12, 11:16)SFX Group Wrote: The original poster (and myself) both want CEC, so i spent some time emailing manufactures and researching which appears you didnt need to read as you dont want to use it, so... dont use it, but thanks for the compliment on spending my time researching this stuff.. your welcome.

I do use it, as I said. I just don't think that it lives up to the hype, and it's certainly not worth discarding PCs for PIs just because of it.

It's widely known here that PCs don't support CEC, and it has been known for a long time. Hence the existence of the Pulse Eight adapter. It's also widely known here that the Raspberry Pi is somewhat unique in that it does support CEC. This is even documented on the wiki. So I'm sorry if you feel aggrieved that your research isn't being taken seriously, the reality is that you've basically confirmed what's already widely known.

As for CEC - your TV works great with CEC, mine doesn't. That's a fundamental problem with CEC - it's a standard in name only. The various manufacturers implement it differently, partially, inconsistently. Peoples experiences are going to vary widely depending on what TV they have, regardless of whether they have a PC or a PI. Not to mention adding an AVR to the mix.
Personally i dont like external components and / or like it all to be in one box, however... using the above details you could get away with doing this...

1 x Intel D54250WYB
(not sure why you cant use the D34010WYB as its on the same specifications sheet from Intel, its an i3 not an i5, other than that identical, it doesnt have a case)
1 x Internal HDMI-CEC Adapter
1 x Chenbro Cubicom 200 (i haven't checked if this will fit the above board(s))

The Chenbro case is higher to allow you to use a 2.5inch drive (has a bracket and adapter board), this will likely be enough room to put the adapter board inside the case...
Many Thanks
Ashley

(2014-01-12, 19:40)SFX Group Wrote: Personally i dont like external components and / or like it all to be in one box, however... using the above details you could get away with doing this...

1 x Intel D54250WYB
(not sure why you cant use the D34010WYB as its on the same specifications sheet from Intel, its an i3 not an i5, other than that identical, it doesnt have a case)
1 x Internal HDMI-CEC Adapter
1 x Chenbro Cubicom 200 (i haven't checked if this will fit the above board(s))

The Chenbro case is higher to allow you to use a 2.5inch drive (has a bracket and adapter board), this will likely be enough room to put the adapter board inside the case...

Can not see why it would not work with the D34010WYB when theD54250WYB is supported. As you mentioned, they are identical. My best guess is that the info on the Pulse-Eight pages were updated before the D34010WYB was available. I am, as countless others I guess, waiting for a more direct fit for the NUC, but I do not have my hopes up..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC + CEC?0