NUC (Haswell i5) aftermarket cases with optical drives?
Hi guys,

Does ANYONE know of an NUC case that you can fit a slim bluray player into? I can't understand with the NUC being so well suited as an HTPC that no ones jumped on NUC cases with optical drive slots! Smile
Nothing yet as far as I'm aware, not even fanless cases are properly out yet so I expect they just need more time. While it would be / should be relatively easy to do, I'm not sure whether anyone will. I get the impression the demand would be low for something like this. I wouldn't mind a fanless one with an slim bluray optical drive but I think we are just stuck with USB drives for now Tongue
(2013-11-29, 14:42)phoenix_rising Wrote: Does ANYONE know of an NUC case that you can fit a slim bluray player into?

A NUC is 112mm x 117mm in size. A Blu-Ray disk is 120mm diameter.

There are not many NUC chassis, so you would need to search for them, and it would not be cheap.

It would be easier just to build a mini-itx PC, and then your disk will fit.
Yeah i know... I did the maths too... no reason the aftermarket case couldn't be 2cm bigger than the current ones though... I for one would be more than happy to compromise a few centimeters for blu ray functionality. I'm tempted to knock one up myself... Anyone got any previous experience on making cases for projects?
(2013-11-29, 14:42)phoenix_rising Wrote: Hi guys,

Does ANYONE know of an NUC case that you can fit a slim bluray player into? I can't understand with the NUC being so well suited as an HTPC that no ones jumped on NUC cases with optical drive slots! Smile
Maybe a great deal of the owners are streaming there media from storage? I play all kind of BR movies but I don't have a (BR) optical in any of my HTPC's.
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
Check out what DougieFresh sells on www.ecosmartpc.com
Also just go to google images, and type in 'mini itx case'
Mini ITX motherboard is 17cm x 17cm so will fit the Blu-Ray, and you'll get more ports, and ability to use 2.5" drives.

Or... just admit that physical disks are a waste of time, and burn them.
Reason I went to a htpc, was the kids destroying the DVDs all the time.

Or... another idea. Buy this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...14J0ZB4165
and rest the NUC on top of it.
I've thought about attempting some kind of NUC-sized casemod for adding a drive to a case that is smaller than a DVD. The actual hardware inside the optical drive could easily fit within the case, and the disc would simply stick out.

Think this, but not as extreme:

The reader heads/track and motor would be easy, but the circuit boards in most slim/small optical drives are too large. At least for a modding attempt.
Thanks for the input guys... I get what your all saying and i do currently run from 32tb of SAN Storage as my main source of media... However there's no reason for an HTPC NOT to include a blu ray player for maximum fidelity when it costs £40 to pick up a slim drive and bung it in a case! the NUC comes with USB 3.0 and has a SATA port on board so no excuses hooking it up!

45gb native blu ray rips are just too big to build a library around when maximum quality and decent sound is needed (I run a reasenable 7.1 setup and 120"+ projector) so it really makes a difference going native for a film on a saturday night ... Rips have there place for storing long term but it's hard to beat a disc ocassionally..

People bring disc's round and my flat mate works for a big movies label production studio so gets a lot of freebies... don't get me wrong i love my rips but 45gb isnt a practical rip size for storing long term and i love having DTS-MA 7.1 sound tracks on my movies which just makes more sense running them from disc.

I may have to go the mini-ITX route... its just frustrating as the NUC is built for purpose and is sold as a barebone motherboard and processor for projects too! But yet no one has made a case with a blu ray drive in it!

Don't get it....
Anyone seen anything that fits the bill?

As in... An NUC Case that can take a slim or 5.25" bluray driveHuhHuh
(2013-11-29, 14:42)phoenix_rising Wrote: Hi guys,

Any chance of a smaller HDPlex case for a NUC?

HDPLEX, bjd Wrote:Not yet, but I am considering doing a dedicated NUC case which might support 2 hotswap SSD plus one slim ODD.
(2014-02-19, 14:18)phoenix_rising Wrote: Anyone seen anything that fits the bill?

As in... An NUC Case that can take a slim or 5.25" bluray driveHuhHuh
Intel idea is to keep the size tiny. Users with optical drive in mind go for other low power CPU's.....

You can always connect this "Samsung SE-506BB/TSBD" to the NUC. I have this USB Blu-ray drive connect to my Alienware X51, and it work as good as any of my internal Blu-ray drive....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2014-02-19, 14:18)phoenix_rising Wrote: As in... An NUC Case that can take a slim or 5.25" bluray driveHuhHuh

It's called a mini-ITX case.

By saying you want a NUC Case that can take a 5.25" drive, is like saying you want a Smart Car that has room for 3 passengers in the back.

It would be a pointless niche to make a NUC only case with a 5.25" drive, considering that BayTrail mini-ITX motherboards which are fanless and capable of running XBMC are already available, and are the perfect size for a 5.25" drive.

See this thread for an example, and you can do it all for much cheaper with less RAM, and lower power processor.
A mini ITX case looks remarkably large compared to a NUC. I agree maybe a aftermarket USB 3.0 blu ray drive would suffice however. I have thought about it myself.

The reason I haven't is that XBMC linux support for blu-ray is still fairly early work in progress (java menus, 3D etc)
Let's skip the discussion whether a disc drive is worthwhile or not and just accept for a minute that there are people that appreciate them.

I think there is more to a nuc than size - Power consumption for a start. And there are nuc boards without the case. And there are miniITX cases for slot drives. So if those cases can host a nuc board, the request can be served. As I have neither a nuc nor a miniITX, I cannot really help. But maybe someone else can?
(2014-02-20, 15:27)novamax Wrote: I think there is more to a nuc than size - Power consumption for a start. And there are nuc boards without the case. And there are miniITX cases for slot drives. So if those cases can host a nuc board, the request can be served. As I have neither a nuc nor a miniITX, I cannot really help. But maybe someone else can?
I have not seen a cheap Intel NUC Mini-ITX mobo nor the case for it. If you are able to build a NUC with Mini-ITX, Blu-ray drive and other options, I doubt that power consumption is that much lower than other lower power Mini-ITX build. Would as well go for other cheaper Mini-ITX build, and the options are endless....

In my opinion, the best solution for Intel NUC is USB optical drive as I suggested. All my HTPC's have optical drive, and it is very handy when we rent Blu-ray disc from RedBox.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NUC (Haswell i5) aftermarket cases with optical drives?0