Dead USB ports on Gigabyte MB
My motherboard USB ports have died but work fine when booted to the HD.

I was considering a MSI FM2-A55M build but wasn't sure if the current DDR2 memory would would work.

So I'm looking for recommendations for a new MB that is compatible with the components I already have if possible.

What I currently have is:

Case SILVERSTONE Black GD05B HTPC
CPU AMD ATH II X2 240 AM3 2.8G
RAM 4mb G.SKILL DDR2 PC2 6400
Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 210 1 GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI- Express Video Card
HD WD Green Drive 500GB and 1TB
PSU Antec ECO 400W
Just buy a PCI USB 3.0 controller.
(2013-11-29, 17:03)joelbaby Wrote: Just buy a PCI USB 3.0 controller.
Thanks ... all I could find where PCI-E cards and that slot is occupied by the graphics card
With PCIe you can put the smaller card into longer PCIe slots. (assuming you have more slots than just 1 in your motherboard).
(2013-11-29, 15:46)Caddisfly Wrote: My motherboard USB ports have died but work fine when booted to the HD.

I was considering a MSI FM2-A55M build but wasn't sure if the current DDR2 memory would would work.

So I'm looking for recommendations for a new MB that is compatible with the components I already have if possible.

What I currently have is:

Case SILVERSTONE Black GD05B HTPC
CPU AMD ATH II X2 240 AM3 2.8G
RAM 4mb G.SKILL DDR2 PC2 6400
Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 210 1 GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI- Express Video Card
HD WD Green Drive 500GB and 1TB
PSU Antec ECO 400W

How did you determine the USB fail is a hardware fault and not an is problem?
(2013-12-01, 12:38)0ldfart Wrote: How did you determine the USB fail is a hardware fault and not an is problem?
Not sure what a "is problem" is.

It could be something else or me. But after several long phone calls to gigabyte (no complaints about service center they tried to help) it was a problem. On booting the MB would not boot from the USB ports (CD-Rom either) unless I unplugged the HD. I tried all their patches to no avail.

Once booted I could see the ports but if I tried to install a new linux it would not install to the HD and go into a loop.

They wanted me to install windows and try that but I didn't have my Windows 95 disk as I lent it to my son and won't see him for a few months.
(2013-12-01, 18:10)Caddisfly Wrote:
(2013-12-01, 12:38)0ldfart Wrote: How did you determine the USB fail is a hardware fault and not an is problem?
Not sure what a "is problem" is.

It could be something else or me. But after several long phone calls to gigabyte (no complaints about service center they tried to help) it was a problem. On booting the MB would not boot from the USB ports (CD-Rom either) unless I unplugged the HD. I tried all their patches to no avail.

Once booted I could see the ports but if I tried to install a new linux it would not install to the HD and go into a loop.

They wanted me to install windows and try that but I didn't have my Windows 95 disk as I lent it to my son and won't see him for a few months.

Boot to a live CD or USB and test

Or

Put device in and check bios to see if you can see it, is in boot sequence.

Either will tell you if it is a board or a software problem.

Windows 95?? Are you serious?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dead USB ports on Gigabyte MB0