WIP New HTPC rig (Streacom or NUC)
Brick 
Hi everyone,
I've been using ATV2 for a while now to run XBMC, and it's time to move on. My needs in a htpc are different now and I won't be running Xbmc only.
I am still wondering if I should build my own rig, or go for a Intel NUC. I have a machine running in my "office" 24/7 that works as a media server, so all my content is there.

Usage:
- Windows 8
- XBMC (able to run a good looking skin, 1080p content)
- Internet streams (mostly soccer matches either via XBMC or via browser or some other software)
- Light gaming. Nothing fancy, perhaps only FIFA14\PES14 - not a must\not important
- Has to be silent, will be in the living-room
- Has to have remote support (harmony)

Build 1 - not decided the motherboard
Case: Streacom FC8 Evo Fanless HTPC
Motherboard - A: ZOTAC H87 - 1150 (Probably not the best choice, but it was the only one that would not cause problems with the heatpipes and the psu-connetor placement)
Motherboard - B: Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI (Perhaps a better choice than A, but then I would probably have to buy a PSU extension cable, like this one)
CPU: Intel Core i5-4570S 2,9GHz Socket 1150, HD4600 - 65W
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual C DDR3 8GB Kit, 1600MHz, 8GB - 1.35V
PSU: Streacom ST-NANO150 150W PSU
SSD: I have one from Crucial 64GB

Or should I just go for one of these.
Intel NUC D54250WYK2
Ofcourse add the mSATA and RAM.

The Streacom build will be more hassle to build up and get good cooling. But is more customisable and components can be changed over time. This one is also more expensive, around 120€ more than the nuc.

Thanks
HTPC Server - Windows 8.1 + XBMC Helix | Intel QuadCore, 4GB RAM, 4 TB SATA
Intel NUC D54250WYK - Windows 8.1 + XBMC Helix | Logitech Harmony 750
Samsung UE8005 | Bluetooth keyboard & mousepad
(2013-11-30, 13:53)Maniac Wrote: PSU: Streacom ST-NANO150 150W PSU
bad decision see german Review

My approved Suggestions with many options..

Streacom FC8 Evo / HDPLEX H1 / mini (fanless)
NUC (fanless opt.)

..and more 'Hardware for XBMC' at Build Your Own HTPC
(2013-11-30, 13:53)Maniac Wrote: Hi everyone,
I've been using ATV2 for a while now to run XBMC, and it's time to move on. My needs in a htpc are different now and I won't be running Xbmc only.
I am still wondering if I should build my own rig, or go for a Intel NUC. I have a machine running in my "office" 24/7 that works as a media server, so all my content is there.

Usage:
- Windows 8
- XBMC (able to run a good looking skin, 1080p content)
- Internet streams (mostly soccer matches either via XBMC or via browser or some other software)
- Light gaming. Nothing fancy, perhaps only FIFA14\PES14 - not a must\not important
- Has to be silent, will be in the living-room
- Has to have remote support (harmony)

Build 1 - not decided the motherboard
Case: Streacom FC8 Evo Fanless HTPC
Motherboard - A: ZOTAC H87 - 1150 (Probably not the best choice, but it was the only one that would not cause problems with the heatpipes and the psu-connetor placement)
Motherboard - B: Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI (Perhaps a better choice than A, but then I would probably have to buy a PSU extension cable, like this one)
CPU: Intel Core i5-4570S 2,9GHz Socket 1150, HD4600 - 65W
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual C DDR3 8GB Kit, 1600MHz, 8GB - 1.35V
PSU: Streacom ST-NANO150 150W PSU
SSD: I have one from Crucial 64GB

Or should I just go for one of these.
Intel NUC D54250WYK2
Ofcourse add the mSATA and RAM.

The Streacom build will be more hassle to build up and get good cooling. But is more customisable and components can be changed over time. This one is also more expensive, around 120€ more than the nuc.

Thanks

Is the NUC able to connect via optical cable to a receiver? The mac mini audio output can do this.
KODI 20 - LibreELEC 11

Intel NUC 4250U (Haswell) in Abel H2 chassis, Philips 55OLED804
(2014-01-04, 01:00)Ipaddle Wrote: Is the NUC able to connect via optical cable to a receiver? The mac mini audio output can do this.
Every HDMI audio output can be converted to an optical audio output, not only from the NUC. That this goes by using a extra item (with extra costs), is maybe not what one wants, but if one would really like a specific type of hardware, then the lack of optical out would not have to be the reason not buying it.
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
You could also put a NUC into one of these Streacom cases.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HTPC rig (Streacom or NUC)0