Mini PC w/TV tuner capability
Hi all,
I'm looking for a small, compact, media box (rasp pi, cubieboard, etc. size wise) capable of receiving free view HD. Can anyone suggest something?
Think the PCTV 290e DVB-T2 USB tuner is the best supported USB receiver - and you need T2 not T for Freeview HD in the UK. This works with TV Headend and MythTV backends and is supported in most recent Linux kernels, and will work with the right PVR plug-ins for TV Headend (and I think MythTV) in XBMC. HOWEVER beware the Raspberry Pi for this application, even with the latest USB fixes, it still doesn't seem quite up to handling DVB-T2 muxes. The PCTV 290e works well with an Acer Revo RL80 running OpenElec and TV Headend. I'm not using it intensively - but I spent a couple of days using it and was pretty impressed.

If you don't want HD you can find much, much cheaper (<£10) DVB-T USB tuners to use with a number of boxes that will give you Freeview SD.
Thanks for your informative reply.

I've actually got a Virgin TiVo box, but recently cancelled my XL subscription, so the TiVo box I have is fully capable of handling Freeview HD.

I just wanted to explore the possibility of having just one set-top box, XBMC enabled box with Freeview HD capability. I'll have to have a look into the Rl80 with USB receiver.

Thanks for your help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mini PC w/TV tuner capability0