DTS audio - fearing the worst
Hi all,

My setup is as follows:

Raspberry Pi -> TV -> Samsung Receiver -> 5.1 Speaker Setup

My issue is that my Samsung "Receiver" is really just a blu-ray player, and only has an HDMI out and no HDMI in. That means I can't connect my Pi to my Receiver, which means I can't bitstream HD audio and have it decoded by the receiver. My TV also isn't capable of decoding DTS etc, so I'm left with no way to get DTS out of my setup (since xbmc cannot decode DTS).

As a workaround, I setup minidlna on my Pi, which I can then access through my Samsung Smart TV, and I can play the movies there directly and get DTS sound.

Is my only option to buy another receiver? Can anyone think of a creative setup so I could play movies in XBMC and get DTS?

Thanks!
To properly bitstream you'll need:

Device -> AVR -> TV etc

So yes.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
There are splitter devices that have hdmi in and hdmi out as well as spdif out. I assume your amp has spdif in?

Then you have

pi--HDMI->splitter--HDMI-->TV
........................|
........................spdif ---->Amp

(ignore the "." characters, they are only to line up the other characters)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
ImageOK this is better than my ascii art above:
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Ahh yes, my amp does have an spdif slot.

Something like this?
I have done what you describe in the first post but with a optical cable between the TV and receiver. My old lg TV would pass through DTS + ac3 but my new Samsung doesn't. Only thing was that the old TV didn't decode DTS, so I always had to use the reciver for DTS or set xbmc to output in ac3 so it would convert the DTS to ac3 on the fly. Worth a shot before buying a splitter.
(2013-12-02, 04:23)teeedubb Wrote: I have done what you describe in the first post but with a optical cable between the TV and receiver. My old lg TV would pass through DTS + ac3 but my new Samsung doesn't. Only thing was that the old TV didn't decode DTS, so I always had to use the reciver for DTS or set xbmc to output in ac3 so it would convert the DTS to ac3 on the fly. Worth a shot before buying a splitter.

Yep, tried that. I also have a new Samsung and it won't pass through the DTS.
(2013-12-02, 04:04)dfdeath Wrote: Ahh yes, my amp does have an spdif slot.

Something like this?
yes that is the sort of thing.
But it passes through ac3 maybe? In that case you could disable dts support in xbmc and let it transcode it to ac3 prior output. Not sure if rbpi supports this feature though.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DTS audio - fearing the worst0